Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This guy used a 28 LBS. I have the firing spring that was included with the 28 LBS recoil spring installed but I was thinking of using a 22 lb mainspring.

Even with the 28 LBS Wolfe recoil spring the Full size kimber will feed 45 auto and super loads with no issues.
Also which flat firing pin stop do I need for my Kimber USA TEAM MATCH?
Midway stops

[Linked Image]

what say you?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regarding the recoil spring, I'd suggest you PM JWP475 as he has a 45 Super, & ask him what is working for him.

I've never fooled around with the 45 Super, but in general, my philosophy on recoil spring weight for 1911's is to use the lightest one possible w/o battering.

A recoil buffer might also help, especially for range time.

As for which firing pin stop, as I recall, the ones I've put in Kimbers were the '70 series version with the cutout only on the left side, but the '80's version will fit as well. (But since I'm not at home & don't have one here to check right now, that's just from memory & I might be wrong.)

Look at what's in the gun now & see what style is in it & go accordingly.........the only difference is that the '80 Series has a notched cutout on both sides; the '70 Series has the notched cutoff only on the left side.

Also be aware that in either case, the firing pin stop will most likely need to be fitted to the gun, perhaps on the sides, & almost certainly on the bottom for length.......... just depends on the gun.

Be sure not to leave a sharp edge on the corner that runs against the hammer.......just put a very small, polished break on it.

The flat bottom firing pin stop might allow you to shave a couple of pounds off the recoil spring as compared to one with a beveled bottom. The flat bottom will certainly slow down the initial rearward movement of the slide a little bit & slightly retard the recoil impulse........I use them in all my 1911's

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In a well fitted 1911 I use the Wilson flat wires icon 20 pound recoil spring and they work to perfection. If the recoil lugs are not fitted correctly and locked up the correct length of time a heavier recoil springs would be needed.

I agree with Montanman use no heavier recoil spring than needed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree with Montanman use no heavier recoil spring than needed.

John how do you now what is needed? I have 22 24 28 etc

μολὼν λαβέ

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
How far the brass is thrown when ejected, the ejected brass should not be thrown any farther than a stock gun throws 45 ACP

Last edited by jwp475; 07/25/16.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good info here. Both men know what they are talking about.

One thing to watch. Using the square bottom FPS and a heavier mainspring with a skeletonized hammer that is on that gun pictured. I can not see how much material is left on the face of the hammer. Is yours like that?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

One thing to watch. Using the square bottom FPS and a heavier mainspring with a skeletonized hammer that is on that gun pictured.

Not sure if you're talking about the recoil spring or really talking about the mainspring............

Standard 1911 mainspring weight is 23 lb..........OP mentioned 22 lb in the original post.

Standard recoil spring on a 5" 1911 is 16.5 lb. OP mentioned 28 lb. recoil spring in his post.

He's probably OK on that at 22 lb. mainspring, if that's what he's really talking about. I generally use 21 lb mainsprings on mine & the hammer/sear/sear spring/mainspring combo usually yields a trigger around 3.75 - 4.0 lb. on most guns. I usually run the hammer hooks at about .020" - .021" on most guns with the correctly contoured sear.

Never seen a HD firing pin spring hurt anything.

MM

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How far the brass is thrown when ejected, the ejected brass should not be thrown any farther than a stock gun throws 45 ACP

Awesome thanks

μολὼν λαβέ

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
This guy used a 28 LBS........

I meant this guy

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was in the exact same boat Fotis, my 'Smith installed the same 28 lb kit you have, I also didn't know which firing pin stop he installed in it, I do know my Springfield trophy match in 45 ACP converted to 45 Super would digest my 185 gr Barnes +P carry load for the ACP just fine, it ran both loads perfect.

After a buddy fired a Chip McCormick 10 shot mag of my hand loaded 230 gr fmj-fp bullets at 1100 fps, he left with my Springfield 45 Super, a couple 10 round mags, and all the Super ammo I had loaded, and I had a check in my shirt pocket. smile

It was a very powerful and reliable pistol that I miss having around sometimes.

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was talking about the mainspring. He is just starting. Many tend to go heavier. 24 lbs. or more. I think that is a big mistake myself. Being a Kimber, his hammer might be MIM. I do not know for sure.With a square bottom FPS in combo with a heavy mainspring, along with a skeletonized hammer(maybe MIM) there might be a reliability problem down the road. I did not want him to go there.

Also, 28lb Recoil spring gets the return velocity of the slide going pretty fast. You need good magazine springs to keep up with that. It is all about timing after all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting article.

Somewhat surprising that all his standard 45 & +P loads functioned flawlessly with a 28 lb. recoil spring.

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Interesting article.

Somewhat surprising that all his standard 45 & +P loads functioned flawlessly with a 28 lb. recoil spring.

MM

I tried the Super Route a while back. Tough on the guns. Then Jonny Rowland came along.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A heavier recoil spring will not make up for poor fit of the locking lugs. That is why I always state if the fit of the locking lugs are correct along with the proper poundage recoil spring will go a long way to avoid premature battering

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Interesting article.

MM

I agree, he must have had some heavy .45 ACP loads or was hit in the head by a 28# spring while reassembling the weapon. They are tough to install. The author was definitely promoting the Super and Kimber.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I fixed her up today.

Will cycle factory 230 Remington ball, 185 gr JHP Hornady zombie max and 45 super loads all in the same mag. Locks slide to the rear with every load.

This is all with the 28 LBS recoil spring, respective firing spring etc

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well I fixed her up today.

Will cycle factory 230 Remington ball, 185 gr JHP Hornady zombie max and 45 super loads all in the same mag. Locks slide to the rear with every load.

This is all with the 28 LBS recoil spring, respective firing spring etc

Did you have the standard firing Pin Stop in?

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes but ordered a Wilson combat one will be here in 2 days

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

A heavier recoil spring will not make up for poor fit of the locking lugs. That is why I always state if the fit of the locking lugs are correct along with the proper poundage recoil spring will go a long way to avoid premature battering

Agree John.

In the last few years, I have seen a couple well known manufactures put out mismatched barrel, link and slide matchups. Granted, I handle a lot of 1911 when I go looking at guns. After a while, you can guess which ones without taking them apart.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

Interesting article.

MM

I tried the Super Route a while back. Tough on the guns. Then Jonny Rowland came along.

I thought about having my 'smith convert my Les Baer over to Super, but didn't know if I wanted to work the old man that hard.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.