Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TUCSON, Ariz. — A Border Patrol agent indicted for the fatal shooting of a Mexican teen through the gaps of a border fence threw up after the shooting and said people were throwing rocks and struck a police dog.

Documents filed by prosecutors last week also reveal that Border Patrol Supervisor Leo Cruz-Mendez said he was surprised to see agent Lonnie Swartz at the fence on the night of the shooting in 2012. Swartz had been assigned to work at a nearby port of entry.

A federal judge has scheduled an August hearing to determine whether statements made by a Border Patrol agent can be used in his trial for the fatal 2012 cross-border shooting of a Mexican teenager.

A grand jury last fall indicted Swartz on a murder charge for shooting through gaps in the fence in Nogales and killing 16-year-old José Antonio Elena Rodríguez on Oct. 10, 2012. For the first time, court documents have made public the details of what occurred after Elena Rodríguez was shot.

Cruz-Mendez told the grand jury that he told Swartz everything was OK after the shooting, but the agent began to vomit.

According to the documents, Swartz said people were throwing rocks from the other side of the fence and hit a police dog.

"I shot and there's someone dead in Mexico," he continued, and produced and empty ammunition magazine from his pocket, according to court records.

An autopsy conducted in Sonora, Mexico, showed that Elena Rodríguez was hit 10 times. U.S. Customs and Border Protection has refused to release surveillance camera footage of the incident.

It's not unusual for Border Patrol agents to move from where they are assigned in response to an incident, according to Shawn Moran, spokesman for the national Border Patrol union. The Nogales port of entry is only blocks from where Elena Rodríguez was killed.

U.S. District Court Judge Raner C. Collins has scheduled an Aug. 23 hearing on the admissibility of Swartz's initial statements and his responses to further questions from Cruz-Mendez. Prosecutors have argued that they should be admissible but Swartz's lawyers say they should be suppressed.

Swartz's attorneys say the agent was compelled to answer them to avoid disciplinary sanctions, including the possibility of being fired.

The trial has been delayed for the fourth time at the request of Swartz's lawyer Sean Chapman. It is now scheduled to start in February, nearly 4 ½ years after the shooting.

Elena Rodríguez's family declined to comment through their lawyer after the case's most recent hearing.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 5th does not exclude such statements made voluntarily and contemporaneously with an incident.

UNLESS, there is some degree of custody or a mandatory obligation to inform - which might be the exception here. It'll be a very interesting procedural and evidentiary case with appeals certain regardless of the outcome. For lawyers, these are the cases that can change the way things are done for years to come, based upon the nuanced rules and court rulings on them.

Last edited by 4ager; 07/27/16.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shot one gal guy 10 times?

Musta loved that dog.

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/27/16.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got no problem with shooting back when stuff like this happens.

Bet it will stop if they don't make much of this.

Yep i don't care at all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jose Elena Rotriguez

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Yep i don't care at all.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Trying to stone BP agents is perfectly valid grounds to open fire imho.

But it usually takes some serious effort to hit one person 10 times.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Time was, BP would get into firefights along the Rio Grande and other border points alla time. Dead Mescans in such dust-ups weren't news.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beat me to this one, Ben !

I can't BEGIN to express how absolutely pitiful it is to see the "best of the best" young agents throwing in the towel because of this kinda' totally unacceptable horsechit.

Wondering how many posting here are aware of the paperwork that is required of a boots on the ground agent now if he as much as lays his hands on a "migrant" after chasing him through brush and cholla for a mile or two ?

Wondering how many posting here are aware that said agent is required to complete this paperwork PRIOR to going home after a long shift, and that he will not be PAID for the time this takes.

Wondering how many posting here are aware that an agent who
DOES run fleeing transgressors to ground and tackle them starts to attract attention from higher up his chain of "command"(I'll gotdam well not call it leadership,) said attention quickly taking file notes indicating that he's "very aggressive", and other beurocrapic speak.

Wondering how many posting here are aware that the discahrge of one lousy 9mm round, as a warning shot / attention getter, by an agent about to be SWARMED, generates a damn FILE CABINET's worth of paperwork, with multiple "agencies" being involved in investigating. This incident WILL be a black mark on the young agent's record.

I could go on.

Chores await.

later,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Musta loved that dog.

The autopsy results for this fiasco are MUDDY,and questionable in the EXTREME. Have been from the get go, as is the chain of custody on the stiff.

No way a Mex. embalmer in Nogales would take a little mordida to poke a series of THROUGH HOLES in the poor, harmless, friendly and lovable deceased lad's extremities.
Nope,no way, Jose',.....Nogales Sonora is an icon of totally ethical and upright behavior,...not one little HINT of corruption there, ....nope.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No telling if the dead Mex wasn't already conveniently predeceased via some local cartelistas, either.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Musta loved that dog.

The autopsy results for this fiasco are MUDDY,and questionable in the EXTREME. Have been from the get go, as is the chain of custody on the stiff.

No way a Mex. embalmer in Nogales would take a little mordida to poke a series of THROUGH HOLES in the poor, harmless, friendly and lovable deceased lad's extremities.
Nope,no way, Jose',.....Nogales Sonora is an icon of totally ethical and upright behavior,...not one little HINT of corruption there, ....nope.

GTC

That, or simply counting wounds to arms and body caused by 1 bullet as 2 gunshot wounds - or even 4.

And I'm sure the DOJ will issue 10 visas to other stone throwers so they can come testify against the agent as witnesses.

Yeah, it's screwed up. But 10 and a totally empty mag is a bad sign.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A LOT of the "rockers" use shepherd's slings, and have been practicing with em' since they were pups.

SHOOT BACK ?

....no problemo here in my camp,

CLOSE ENOUGH ?

use a frag.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Wondering how many posting here are aware that said agent is required to complete this paperwork PRIOR to going home after a long shift, and that he will not be PAID for the time this takes.

The EPA lost a class action overtime pay lawsuit last year. And another decision narrowed who qualified for the exceptions to overtime pay as salaried managers.

Maybe the BP union should take a hard look at this unpaid time and acquire some $$$ for their agents?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Naive idea in the extreme,....

Volumes have been posted right here, and on a lot of other conservative sites about just how ticked off the BP union folks are,...PARTICULARLY the Tucson sector.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
America was attacked and they deserved what they got.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These "rocking" incidents have been pretty much identified as having been damned successful diversionary tactics,...get everybody looking one direction, run a load across in the other.

Get a bunch of Guats and Salvadorans mixed up with some local "kids" and ply them with booze, drugs, puzzy, and Guevera grade rhetoric,....they WILL go soak up pepper spray and worse,...
At the time of this incident there was a small HERD of em' living in the sewers underneath Nogy.

....."nice" young folks.

GTC

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What does this have to do with the 5th Amendment?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yep i don't care at all.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Trying to stone BP agents is perfectly valid grounds to open fire imho.

The officer needs to be sent to range training, and learn to make all shots count.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yep i don't care at all.

The officer needs to be sent to range training, and learn to make all shots count.

Jeez man, you are WAY out of the loop.

SELDOM, if ever do BP agents train with live eek ammo eek
That's SCARY, and DANGEROUS, for Pete's sake. ,...there are now 3D "Virtual Ranges" for that.Kinda' like a trip to the movies,...
... a grotesque, b-grade Sci-Fi Movie.

Some of you reading this will remember shooting with me on our old BP range here in Cochise County. You'll remember the caverns dug in the berms by live fire, testimony to the volume once considered MINIMAL, to retain proficiency.That's where I met Terry( he was one of their senior RSO / Trainer types,) and shot a little range safety breeze with him,...fine fella' to share a range with.

That facility doesn't host 1/10th of the BP volume that it once did, last I checked.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"But 10 and a totally empty mag is a bad sign"
yeah means he missed with half a mag.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.