Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
In humility and in the fear of God Almighty, offered before the throne of Grace, in faith believing, through the redeeming name of the Lord Jesus Christ- risen, victorious and glorified.

Psalm 94 King James Version (KJV)

O Lord God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself.

2 Lift up thyself, thou judge of the earth: render a reward to the proud.

3 Lord, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph?

4 How long shall they utter and speak hard things? and all the workers of iniquity boast themselves?

5 They break in pieces thy people, O Lord, and afflict thine heritage.

6 They slay the widow and the stranger, and murder the fatherless.(and the helpless innocent child in the womb)

7 Yet they say, The Lord shall not see, neither shall the God of Jacob regard it.

8 Understand, ye brutish among the people: and ye fools, when will ye be wise?

9 He that planted the ear, shall he not hear? he that formed the eye, shall he not see?

10 He that chastiseth the heathen, shall not he correct? he that teacheth man knowledge, shall not he know?

11 The Lord knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity.

12 Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O Lord, and teachest him out of thy law;

13 That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked.

14 For the Lord will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance.

15 But judgment shall return unto righteousness: and all the upright in heart shall follow it.

16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

17 Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.

18 When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O Lord, held me up.

19 In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.

20 Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with thee, which frameth mischief by a law?

21 They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood.

22 But the Lord is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.

23 And he shall bring upon them their own iniquity, and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; yea, the Lord our God shall cut them off.

Last edited by Robert_White; 07/26/16.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Isaiah

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One of the best arguments for seperation of church and state
I've ever seen.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Amen. Great post Robert.

This country was founded on the principles of God fearing people. It was shaped by winning battles, thought impossible, to gain it's freedom. Through two world wars this country came out on top again, showing that it was indeed a strong and blessed nation as a result of God's divine grace....because we were a christian nation. Because great military leaders were God fearing people as were then men they led, who knew that if, "God be for you, who can stand against you?".

It is why Israel stands today and always will. That's why the united states has always stood with Israel. They will not be defeated. Period. But those who do not Biblical promises simply will make the mistake of siding against them. And they to shall fall.

Much like the vaccines in children debate, as soon as the threat in not a common daily occurrence, we forget what saved millions of lives and here people say "the threat no longer exist and what saved us is actually killing us". So, people become "so intelligent" they deem vaccines not necessary. And what happens? The disease resurfaces.

So this thread will certainly incite a group of folks here to post the typical "God doesn't matter / exist / etc..." They are simply the ones living under the protection of people who remain God fearing, obedient, and most of all, prayerful for this nation. We pray for them as well. We pray that they will never have to know a place eternally separated from God. But that day to will come, and regret of their decision to never know Him, should that be their decision, will be forever.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice to meet you Mr. Whelenfan.

Thanks for the reply.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
I've ever seen.

Yes indeed! When the Christian is pushed out of the market place and the halls of governance and then persecuted by the magistrate he can always resort to scriptural prayers of imprecation directly to God at the throne of grace. No legislature, no judge, no tyrant, petty or grand, can withstand the hand of the living God, should he graciously decide to hear and answer the humble petition of the repentant sinner; for justice.

The sword of the spirit which is the word of God, cannot be restrained by the whim of mere mortal fallen men.

I am certain this is the train of thought you were trying to convey in your brief terse comment! Thanks for the feedback, friend.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like both posts. I just pray that God has not removed His blessing on this nation because of our turning away.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I like both posts. I just pray that God has not removed His blessing on this nation because of our turning away.

I wonder how much longer before his patience runs out altogether.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So do I.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One hopes that Isaiah was not talking about this election cycle in chapter 3 verse 2:

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths."

One could certainly view the philosophy of the left as childish or naive.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TheOldTree,

I've ever seen.

What is the history of the separation of the church and state? When did it start?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That they know Him, the one true GOD and Jesus Christ whom He sent. And That His will be done.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
TheOldTree,

I've ever seen.

What is the history of the separation of the church and state? When did it start?
The colonies were run by churches, both Catholic and Protestant. The people were forced to pay taxes to the controlling churches even if they weren't members. The framers of the constitution added that part of the 1st Amendment to make sure that congress didn't appoint any church as the official one so that no one was forced to support a church they didn't belong to.
There's nothing there that separates church and state, just a declaration that there would be no official church. The separation came from this letter from Jefferson to the Danbury, CT Baptist church. In 1947 the supreme court used this letter to illegally put the separation into law.

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.
Gentlemen
The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.
I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.
Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Massachussetts was the last state to dis-establish their state church which was Congregationalism; and I do believe it was about 1830.

Virginia's example set the stage for all the rest; and it seems to have been well reasoned.

The Bill of Rights was crafted as a restraint upon the central federal govt. The States themselves were free.

Lincoln destroyed the order of it all. The States are slaves of their child/creation.

The Supreme Court through hubris and conceit legislates from the bench and we all live under a godless tyranny our forefather's never imagined for length and depth and breadth of lewdness and bare faced evil.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
WILLIAM GURNALL ON IMPRECATORY PRAYER

GurnallWilliam Gurnall’s classic work on spiritual warfare, The Christian In Complete Armor, is basically an extended exposition of Ephesians 6:10-20 (totaling some 1,200 pages!). In it he includes a lengthy section (over 300 pages long) on prayer, which is, of course, his treatment of v.18-20 (where Paul speaks of prayer in relation to the whole armor of God).

In that section on prayer, Gurnall takes the time to speak of a subject that is rarely heard of today – imprecatory prayers.

What is imprecatory prayer? An imprecatory prayer is that prayer of God’s people which is directed at or against the enemies of God and His people. They often consist in prayers, not just for deliverance for God’s people from their enemies and His, but also for God’s just judgment against the wicked. Gurnall himself defines it as that prayer “wherein the Christian imprecates the vengeance of God upon the enemies of God and his people” (Vol. 2, p.444).

The Psalms are practically filled with such prayers. Here are just a few examples: Psalm 3:7 says, “Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.” Psalm 7:6 says, “Arise, O LORD, in your anger; lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies; awake for me; you have appointed a judgment.” Psalm 10:15 says, “Break the arm of the wicked and evildoer; call his wickedness to account till you find none.” If the idea of imprecatory prayer makes you uncomfortable, then you will find the book of Psalms to be a rather uncomfortable book indeed.

Not only does the book of Psalms include such prayers, but they are also found on the lips of the saints in the book of Revelation. In Revelation 6:9-10 we are shown “the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne” crying out out with a loud voice, saying, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” So even the martyrs in heaven are depicted as crying out for justice! They are crying out for the Lord to avenge their blood! And what does the Lord tell them? Does he tell them that they have the wrong idea? Does He tell them that such prayers are no longer appropriate? No! He tells them to “rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been” (v.11). Justice will come, and their blood will be avenged, but they might have to wait a bit longer.

Gurnall actually warns the wicked not to get the saints engaged in praying against them! He writes to them, “Take heed that by your implacable hatred to the truth and church of God, you do not engage her prayers against you” (p.448). He goes so far as to say:

“The prayers of the saints are more to be feared . . .than an army of twenty thousand men in the field” (ibid).

He points to the example of Esther (cf. Esther 4:16), whose prayers hastened Haman’s destruction on his own gallows; and also of Hezekiah’s prayers against Sennacherib (cf. Isaiah 37:14-20), which “brought his huge host to the slaughter, and fetched an angel from heaven to do the execution in one night upon them” (ibid.). He draws upon the examples given in Scripture to prove his point. The prayers of the saints really are to be feared indeed!

Excerpt from:
https://schreiberscribbles.wordpress.com/2016/02/03/william-gurnall-on-imprecatory-prayer/

I have an unabridged copy of Gurnall; massive work. One of the most valuable investments in a book I ever made.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
James Hugh O'Neill

During the Battle of the Bulge Patton desired good weather for his advance, which would permit close ground support by U.S. Army Air Forces tactical aircraft, and requested that O'Neill compose a suitable prayer. O'Neill complied, and his prayer was printed and distributed to unit members:

"Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."[3]

When the weather cleared soon after, Patton awarded O'Neill a Bronze Star Medal.[4]

Wiki

book review:
http://humanevents.com/2012/10/31/book-patton-fought-with-blood-guts-and-prayer/

Last edited by Robert_White; 07/28/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.