Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just ordered my copy of "Unrepentant Sinner."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Just ordered my copy of "Unrepentant Sinner."

Cool!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,now come the waiting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
1907-1999, but he died at age 91, short of his 1999 birthday.

Do you know the cause of death?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elk, hope you enjoy it.. Sure was a different time.. I would like more on his pal Parker.

Molon Labe
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I read some of his stories when he wrote in the NRA's publication "American Hunter." Always enjoyed them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by mudhen
1907-1999, but he died at age 91, short of his 1999 birthday.

Do you know the cause of death?

It seems he may have developed Alzheimers, not sure the exact cause of death, possibly related as that's the usual course of that disease. There was a story about him being AWOL from his house, found walking down a nearby road, confused.

The Major died in the Waco VA Hospital, and from what I've read, it was a psych type facility. I think the Major may have gone down that same path, based on his appearance in later photos and the type hospital.

I'm making assumptions based on tid bits of info pointing in that direction, no hard evidence.

They both lived to ripe old ages.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got the kindle version a few nights ago, due to lack of patience, it's a fairly entertaining read.

I don't understand all of the "it was a different time" comments, as he seems like just the sort we need today...and at times previous to today that would have prevented us from arriving at today as we know it. PC is a disease that needs to be cut out of the country.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kciH
I got the kindle version a few nights ago, due to lack of patience, it's a fairly entertaining read.

I don't understand all of the "it was a different time" comments, as he seems like just the sort we need today...and at times previous to today that would have prevented us from arriving at today as we know it. PC is a disease that needs to be cut out of the country.

Did you end up hating him? Because I'm afraid I will. laugh

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You can better understand him without hating him.

It's not our business to judge the man, he's been judged by the ultimate judge.

He was ruthless, no doubt, but had a soft side.

He left a mark and a legacy. Afterall, here we are talking about him after he's departed the scene.

He was complex and interesting, a unique soul.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The only thing unique about that guy was he spoke candidly about the things he did.

Everybody else in his profession wasn't much different.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Candid for sure.

He was a good story teller, liked to use "shock and awe" as a tool to enhance his stories and hold the reader's attention.

Makes one wonder how much of that was just a ploy to publish. It seemed to work.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
How did he fund his hunts...?

While working as a WWII ordinance officer in North Africa recovering battle damaged tanks, during a lull in the fighting, he took a jeep and with a buddy, hunted sheep.

While in Viet Nam, he hooked up with a Chinese outfitter, hunted big game in S.E. Asia, using elephants in the high grass.

He improvised, took advantage of whatever situation he found himself in. I'm sure as a prominant gun writer, he got support from the industry for his safari's.

DF

Askins probably lived very comfortably on his writing earnings along with his military retirement, etc., but that wouldn't be enough to do all the hunting that he did. Like other writers of his era, Askins "worked" the industry to his advantage. One way was by reputedly operating as a booking agent for various outfitters and safari companies. Taking a 10% commission off a $10k booked hunt adds up pretty quick. I doubt that Charlie was above boosting them up for freebie hunts in exchange for a bit of written publicity, either. A lot of his custom rifles were probably acquired in similar fashion (Rheinardt Fajen, for example, who stocked many of Askins' rifles, was continually mentioned in his articles). None of these tactics were all that uncommon among gun and outdoor writers of his time.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 07/27/16.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For me when I mention times were different then, things he did would land him in jail now.. Not that I think they were wrong.. I remember his story of shooting the Mexican smugglers. Charlie saw they were armed, knew they would shoot so he shot them first.. Personally that is how I feel gangs, criminals committing crimes while armed should be treated. This liberal news media will never stand for it..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
How did he fund his hunts...?

While working as a WWII ordinance officer in North Africa recovering battle damaged tanks, during a lull in the fighting, he took a jeep and with a buddy, hunted sheep.

While in Viet Nam, he hooked up with a Chinese outfitter, hunted big game in S.E. Asia, using elephants in the high grass.

He improvised, took advantage of whatever situation he found himself in. I'm sure as a prominant gun writer, he got support from the industry for his safari's.

DF

Askins probably lived very comfortably on his writing earnings along with his military retirement, etc., but that wouldn't be enough to do all the hunting that he did. Like other writers of his era, Askins "worked" the industry to his advantage. One way was by reputedly operating as a booking agent for various outfitters and safari companies. Taking a 10% commission off a $10k booked hunt adds up pretty quick. I doubt that Charlie was above boosting them up for freebie hunts in exchange for a bit of written publicity, either. A lot of his custom rifles were probably acquired in similar fashion (Rheinardt Fajen, for example, who stocked many of Askins' rifles, was continually mentioned in his articles). None of these tactics were all that uncommon among gun and outdoor writers of his time.

Yeah, Charlie did well.

Here's his San Antonio home. Not too shabby...

DF

[Linked Image]

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by John_Boy
So the story goes about Jordan from another Border Patrol agent who served in the 1950's.....

? hearsay ?

More / some evidence !!

Jerry

I was told the same story by a BP agent who told me he was in the next office when it happened.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah, Charlie did well.

DF

If he did "well" why did he live in a schithole like San Antonio?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tough men, doing tough jobs, do tough things, but few talk about them.
Charlie was one who did as it suited his purpose.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Yeah, Charlie did well.

DF

If he did "well" why did he live in a schithole like San Antonio?

Clark

From what I know, he settled there possibly due to the proximity of Ft. Sam Houston.

San Antonio has its good points, nice horse facilities.

His son Bill lives on the North end of town, does very well selling real estate and airplanes. He seems happy living there. His location is North of the Col's house, which is now HQ of the San Antonio Geneological and Historical Society. http://txsaghs.org/

IIRC, the house is on the National Registry.

BTW, Bill Askins has an interesting bio., some of it covered in Unrepentant Sinner.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/28/16.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have an autographed copy of Unrepentant Sinner. I really enjoyed the book and it gave great insight on a long gone era. Colonel Askins mentioned the 8mm-06 often.
I believe there are plenty like him still around today but if they pulled the same stuff that he did they would be in jail. Back then you were able to get away with a lot more.

Last edited by IMR4350; 07/28/16.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.