-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Don. That does help. Leomort, if you are going to reload your Ruger, come down to the Bullet Casting forum here at the Camp Fire. You'll find a lot more technical knowlege and fewer trolls.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Originally Posted by Yondering
2400 is a popular old powder, and it meters well, but I haven't found any loads that can't be done better with either H110 or Unique.

That's just plain scary crazy, putting Unique in the same velocity category as 2400 and H110. You'll blow your gun up trying to match Unique velocities with the other two. eek

Don

Perhaps you should go back and read the part about using Unique for mild to midrange loads.

Last edited by doubletap; 07/27/16.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by doubletap
2400 is a popular old powder, and it meters well, but I haven't found any loads that can't be done better with either H110 or Unique.

That's just plain scary crazy, putting Unique in the same velocity category as 2400 and H110. You'll blow your gun up trying to match Unique velocities with the other two. eek

Don

Perhaps you should go back and read the part about using Unique for mild to midrange loads.

Okay, so I went back, and here is the quote I believe you are referring to:
"For mild to mid-range loads, Unique will give the same velocity as 2400, but with less flash and less recoil".
The problem with this is, why would you use a slow burn rate powder like 2400 for "mild to mid-range loads"? And if you did load 2400 down for a direct comparison to Unique, Unique would no doubt out perform 2400 due to it operating within a good pressure range. While you can compare 2400 and H110 loads and make the claim that your H110 loads are better than 2400, it makes no sense to compare Unique with 2400 loads that operate at a higher velocity level. Just MHO.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have a lot of experience loading the .357 Mag. I do consider the .357 Mag our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's the most powerful revolver cartridge that most shooters can control. I know that the .44 Mag, .454 Casull, etc are beyond my ability to shoot with accurate follow-up shots. Since I carry a .357 Mag just about darn near exclusively for black bear protection, I'd go with 6 .357 Mag hits as opposed to one for sure .44 Mag hit and 5 others, one of which I hope will hit.

I've used H-110, which is identical to W-W 296. I load 180 grain Partitions at max charges. Since my black bear gun has a 4" barrel, I'm realistic about velocity. If it'll break a 1000 FPS, I'd be lucky. But the truth is, 100 FPS one way or the other ain't gonna matter much. So I don't get knotted up over velocity. I've read that it's possible to get 1100 FPS with 180 grain cast bullets out of a 4" barrel. I could be persuaded to give 180 grain cast bullets a shot at replacing Partitions. I'm pretty sure Nosler no longer makes 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions.

Li'l Gun seems to be popular with heavy .357 Mag bullets. I think it'll kick in another 35 FPS above H-110's contribution. Whether that tiny velocity increase is worth the effort would be up to loaders. However, I could be persuaded to go with Li'l Gun if it provides benefits that H-110 doesn't.

While 2400 is great powder, the reality is that there are many powders that will do darn near the same thing out of a .357 Mag Revolver. In fact, about a year ago I've read an article about VV-N105 in the .357 Mag. Apparently, those experimenting with his powder were achieving highest .357 Mag velocities with no indicators of excessive pressure. It might be true because while once easy to find, this powder does sell out fast. BTW, VV-N105 does darn near mystical things to the .40 S&W, like giving it near 10MM velocities. But that's of interest to only loaders who are looking for velocity and to those wanting powder that produces low pressure.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Than you, NVhntr, 458Lott, Don (USSR1991),and SakoAV!ou've all been very helpful!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Leomort,

Let me add one small tidbit regarding "clean burning" powder. I personally don't get stressed much about it any more, especially in revolvers. IME the greatest amount of "carbon." "gunk" or "crud" comes from the lube traditionally used with lead bullets. That which comes from any smokeless powder is pretty minor, reasonably regular cleaning takes care of it easily.

If we were using our handguns extensively in a combat zone with no chance for regular cleaning it might be different, but for common uses, it just don't matter.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree about conventional bullet lubes gunking up revolvers, but I've also found clean or dirty powders has more to do with running a powder out of it's preferred burning conditions than the brand of powder. For instance Unique has been condemmed as a dirty powder. I've found when throttled back to the mildest loads it is both dirty and provides mediocre to poor accuracy. But throttle it up and it burns fairly clean and accuracy is most often outstanding if not the best the gun is capable of.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Don

"For mild to mid-range loads, Unique will give the same velocity as 2400, but with less flash and less recoil".
The problem with this is, why would you use a slow burn rate powder like 2400 for "mild to mid-range loads"? And if you did load 2400 down for a direct comparison to Unique, Unique would no doubt out perform 2400 due to it operating within a good pressure range. While you can compare 2400 and H110 loads and make the claim that your H110 loads are better than 2400, it makes no sense to compare Unique with 2400 loads that operate at a higher velocity level. Just MHO.

Don

Lots of people use 2400 for mid-range loads, and it's frequently suggested here. I'm not talking about mouse fart cowboy action loads, but loads that are a step or two back from full power. I was simply pointing out to Lemort that he already has a powder that will work better for that type of load.

Try actually reading the post and thinking next time before you fly off the handle.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by SakoAV
I don't have a lot of experience loading the .357 Mag. I do consider the .357 Mag our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's the most powerful revolver cartridge that most shooters can control. I know that the .44 Mag, .454 Casull, etc are beyond my ability to shoot with accurate follow-up shots. Since I carry a .357 Mag just about darn near exclusively for black bear protection, I'd go with 6 .357 Mag hits as opposed to one for sure .44 Mag hit and 5 others, one of which I hope will hit.

I've used H-110, which is identical to W-W 296. I load 180 grain Partitions at max charges. Since my black bear gun has a 4" barrel, I'm realistic about velocity. If it'll break a 1000 FPS, I'd be lucky. But the truth is, 100 FPS one way or the other ain't gonna matter much. So I don't get knotted up over velocity. I've read that it's possible to get 1100 FPS with 180 grain cast bullets out of a 4" barrel. I could be persuaded to give 180 grain cast bullets a shot at replacing Partitions. I'm pretty sure Nosler no longer makes 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions.

Li'l Gun seems to be popular with heavy .357 Mag bullets. I think it'll kick in another 35 FPS above H-110's contribution. Whether that tiny velocity increase is worth the effort would be up to loaders. However, I could be persuaded to go with Li'l Gun if it provides benefits that H-110 doesn't.

While 2400 is great powder, the reality is that there are many powders that will do darn near the same thing out of a .357 Mag Revolver. In fact, about a year ago I've read an article about VV-N105 in the .357 Mag. Apparently, those experimenting with his powder were achieving highest .357 Mag velocities with no indicators of excessive pressure. It might be true because while once easy to find, this powder does sell out fast. BTW, VV-N105 does darn near mystical things to the .40 S&W, like giving it near 10MM velocities. But that's of interest to only loaders who are looking for velocity and to those wanting powder that produces low pressure.

Lots of good info in this post.

I wasn't aware of N105's potential in 40 S&W; I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by BobWills
Thanks Don. That does help. Leomort, if you are going to reload your Ruger, come down to the Bullet Casting forum here at the Camp Fire. You'll find a lot more technical knowlege and fewer trolls.

Bob, are you always so quick to throw out insults, or are you offended that people have different opinions than you? You seem to get worked up about this stuff pretty quick; it's just gunpowder.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/28/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not an expert like some folks, but I have gone through a lot of 2400 in both .38 Special cases and in .357 Mag. Very few negatives, a lot of positive reasons.
A powder I like ever more for .38 Special and .357 Mag, is SR4756. I use standard primers for that too. Less powder needed for virtually the same velocity.

Sam......

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Don

Don

Lots of people use 2400 for mid-range loads, and it's frequently suggested here. I'm not talking about mouse fart cowboy action loads, but loads that are a step or two back from full power. I was simply pointing out to Lemort that he already has a powder that will work better for that type of load.

Try actually reading the post and thinking next time before you fly off the handle.

No, "lots of people" don't use 2400 for mid-range loads. Just because you may know a couple of people who do, doesn't mean lots of people do it. Why, some people can actually read a reloading manual and comprehend that faster burn rate powders are much better suited for mid-range loads because they operate in a pressure range better suited to the velocity they are producing. I read your post and I believe I quoted you accurately. If I did not, please point it out to me and I will stand corrected. My reading and thinking seems to be fine. The problem seems to be your writing and the thinking that lies behind it.

Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been loading for a coupla 357s since the early 80s. Nothing but 2400. My two favorite bullets:

158gr Kieth-type SWCs w/gas checks. 14grs of 2400 CCI 550 primers.

125gr WW JHPs. 17.5grs of 2400, CCI 550 primers.

Mostly in a four inch M686. Muzzle flash is pretty fierce in low light, blinding after dark (especially with the 125s).

No complaints about accuracy or performance with either load. Given the short barrel, generally some un-burned powder in the barrel.

The 158s were made by an old friend now deceased, but he favored me with quite a mess of 'em before he passed. Have H110, never got around to using any for 357 loads, probably never will as the 2400 still works just dandy. Also what I've always used for my M629 loads.

I'm an old stick in the mud when it comes to powders and primers after all these years. What worked in the 70s and 80s, still works just as well today. No need to clutter up cabinet space with dozens of powders. Just another old goat's opinion.

whistle

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BobWills
You really don't understand internal ballistics do you? Does the barrel length have anything to do with the optimum powder burning rate and pressure curve? Would you load a 2 1/2 inch 357 revolver with H-110 and expect to get top velocity from it? Why do you think we load heavy magnum rifles using heavy bullets with slow burning powders? Why do we usually see at least 26 inch barrels on those magnum rifles? Do we expect to lose velocity if we use a shorter barrel on them? What would cause such a loss of velocity?

Some of you boys need to do your home work because it is obvious that you failed physics and chemistry, both of which are intergral to the understanding of internal and external ballistics. Pay attention to both Boyle's and Charles's Laws.

We could explain to you that the slooow powder which gives the highest velocity with a 28 inch barrel in a magnum rifle will also give the highest velocity in a 16 inch barrel if chambered for the same cartridge.

And it is safe to say the maximum safe load of H110 (which would be just enough to fill the case to the base of the bullet) will be fully burned before the bullet exits the barrel of any 4 inch revolver, whether the cartridge is 30 carbine, 357 mag, 41 RM, or 44 Rem Mag.

I will not include the 357 max, or any of the extended supermags, as I have not studied the internal ballistics of those cartridges.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I read your post and I believe I quoted you accurately. If I did not, please point it out to me and I will stand corrected.

Your first reply to me completely missed what I actually said; you assumed I didn't know what I was doing and berated me for something I didn't actually say, without actually reading or understanding the post.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
...it is safe to say the maximum safe load of H110 (which would be just enough to fill the case to the base of the bullet) will be fully burned before the bullet exits the barrel of any 4 inch revolver, whether the cartridge is 30 carbine, 357 mag, 41 RM, or 44 Rem Mag.

True. While a slow burn rate powder is better suited to a long barrel, it WILL produce a higher velocity relative to a faster burn rate powder as well. Of course the muzzle blast... eek

Don

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do see one down side to 2400, I can't find any available :

Have seen H110 and W296 avaible, even in large 8lb
jugs!

Still confused why Hornady and Sierra reloading manuals list small magnum pistol primer with 2400 in 357mag while speer reloading manual states not to use magnum primer with 2400.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by leomort
Still confused why Hornady and Sierra reloading manuals list small magnum pistol primer with 2400 in 357mag while speer reloading manual states not to use magnum primer with 2400.

Because Speer did their homework and didn't just list a magnum primer with every powder used in a magnum cartridge.

Don

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don,

So they were basically being lazy and took the easy way out?

Leo

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,608
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.