Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Has anyone ever seen anyone white wild turkey? We have a few on our lease near Burnet Texas.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Saw one about 2 months ago, got a bad picture of it somewhere. It wasn't 'stark' white, more a light grayish white, more on the white side.

It was about a mile from my house. First I'd ever seen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have a couple of different flocks near our place and each flock has a white one in it. Also one of the flocks has one that is sort of a "pinto", it is mostly dark but also has some white on it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Some are almost all white, some kinda mixed. We have hundreds of turkeys. I keep a sling shot in game bag to run the SOB's off. The eat up all the corn I scatter on roads for deer.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Why not just kill them and eat them? They're goooood..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There was a very nearly all-while Merriam's gobbler in a flock about six miles from town this spring. Nobody's seen it for a while, and only 25 tags are awarded in this area, with no reports a human hunter took a white bird. It might have been picked off by a coyote. It REALLY stood out, and the valley where the flock lives is very open.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A white one with some black barring. No pics though.

1Minute
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In a group of about 25 hens there was one the was mostly white with some bluish coloring.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
They really do stand out. I see them in the middle of our lease. I hunt in the north part of lease. Big spring fed creek runs through lease, many Pecan trees in creek bottom. We have tons of Live oaks to go with the Juniper. When we have acorns and pecans even the pigs abandon the corn feeders. Deer hunting tough until they are gone. Very hard to get a shot off with a bow at a turkey. About the only way with a bow is a bow box on the ground. They can't see in the box.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We have a schit load of turkeys around here; I've never seen a white one (or one that looked at all unusual, for that matter.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.

Hush your mouth. I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They really do stand out. I see them in the middle of our lease. I hunt in the north part of lease. Big spring fed creek runs through lease, many Pecan trees in creek bottom. We have tons of Live oaks to go with the Juniper. When we have acorns and pecans even the pigs abandon the corn feeders. Deer hunting tough until they are gone. Very hard to get a shot off with a bow at a turkey. About the only way with a bow is a bow box on the ground. They can't see in the box.

Turkeys are not hard with a bow on the ground in some type of brush blind, or espeically a box as noted.

Out of a tree I only made it work once.

Without a box and on the ground, you just have to wait until they are faced away to draw/shoot with a bow.

I've killed lots with a bow.

Never a white or light colored one though. Never seen one, other than 2 I mounted that friends shot. Both of those were basically light tan.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

LOL, its fun finding out what others like.

I had a go at turkeys since a kid. Thats all I ever wanted. Once I figured out how to call them, it was pretty easy. And then we did the stuff you aren't supposed to.. call em over fences, across creeks, across game proof 8 foot fences and so on.

Finally got bored with them after shooting em with bows and pistols and shotguns etc..... And then guiding for them for years.

Deer, while I don't consider them either harder or easier, just have more draw for me in the end.

And then to think that I love to hunt ducks but could mostly care less about turkeys. I regularly pass up invites....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495

The turkey guys just about go catatonic when I berate them for using a shotgun to ground sluice a bird during mating season....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We had a bunch at one lease in Mason County. These were from the Toms raiding the Turkey coop for a little strange. Not albino wild ones.

Another place had Turkey/Peacock hybrids. They were beautiful and looked almost like the Osceolated Turkeys from the Yucatan. They were tasty too but I decided to leave them alone after the first one. It had darker meat almost like a giant Pheasant.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rost495

I had a go at turkeys since a kid. Thats all I ever wanted. Once I figured out how to call them, it was pretty easy. And then we did the stuff you aren't supposed to.. call em over fences, across creeks, across game proof 8 foot fences and so on.

Finally got bored with them after shooting em with bows and pistols and shotguns etc..... And then guiding for them for years.

Deer, while I don't consider them either harder or easier, just have more draw for me in the end.

And then to think that I love to hunt ducks but could mostly care less about turkeys. I regularly pass up invites....

I enjoy proactive hunting. Calling for ducks, calling for Sitka blacktails, calling for turkey and trying to out maneuver them.

Sitting in a blind/deer stand is about as enjoyable as pounding 10-penny nails through the head of my cock.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Escaped domestic turkeys cross breed.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

I know a lot of people like that. I don't understand it, but there it is. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

I know a lot of people like that. I don't understand it, but there it is. miles

It depends on the definition of deer hunting is. For most I've met it means sitting in a blind/stand till their hemorrhoids are screaming.

That is the most horrific thing I can think of doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.