Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by moosemike
My stepson used up all his .450 Marlin ammo on the first day of PA deer season some years ago by shooting at deer running across a field. He missed them so we drove an hour that night to get him more ammo. A few years later he used up all his .257 Weatherby mag ammo on a SD pronghorn hunt. I couldn't find any of that. We scared up two rounds in his gear and the next day he shot a running antelope in the leg and missed it while it flopped around. He had to finish it with his belt knife. [b][/b]He doesn't hunt anymore.

That sounds like a good thing.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, he liked hunting more than hunting liked him. He never really developed a knack for it. Oddly enough he would pull off a great shot every once in a while.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
My stepson used up all his .450 Marlin ammo on the first day of PA deer season some years ago by shooting at deer running across a field. He missed them so we drove an hour that night to get him more ammo. A few years later he used up all his .257 Weatherby mag ammo on a SD pronghorn hunt. I couldn't find any of that. We scared up two rounds in his gear and the next day he shot a running antelope in the leg and missed it while it flopped around. He had to finish it with his belt knife. [b][/b]He doesn't hunt anymore.

That sounds like a good thing.

Amen..............

I see tourist hunters in town here most evenings buying ammo for the next day's hunt all the time. I think I have used 10 shells in the last five years to harvest enough antelope to keep us fed..........

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We stopped in a gunshop in meeker Colorado last yr and he had some real odd ball ammo on the shelf. Most of it was just one box. I suspect yrs past guys probably stopped looking for ammo.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Canazes9
is this a travel rifle chambering "guranteed" to find ammunition on the shelf if your ammunition goes missing?

David

Nothing is guanteed to be found. Remember a couple of years ago during the panic buying of the ammo scare, common calibers were all sold out, even at Midway USA.

Like has been said before better to take your ammo in separated bags, even if a store has your caliber, they may not have the brand or bullet weight and style your sighted in for.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
308,30/06,270,7 Rem Mag,300 Win Mag. in North America.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My stepson used up all his .450 Marlin ammo on the first day of PA deer season some years ago by shooting at deer running across a field. He missed them so we drove an hour that night to get him more ammo. A few years later he used up all his .257 Weatherby mag ammo on a SD pronghorn hunt. I couldn't find any of that. We scared up two rounds in his gear and the next day he shot a running antelope in the leg and missed it while it flopped around. He had to finish it with his belt knife. He doesn't hunt anymore.

Can we all have an Amen.... At least to your last sentence anyway. Sounds like it's a good thing he gave it up.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
is this a travel rifle chambering "guranteed" to find ammunition on the shelf if your ammunition goes missing?

David

Nothing is guanteed to be found. Remember a couple of years ago during the panic buying of the ammo scare, common calibers were all sold out, even at Midway USA.

Like has been said before better to take your ammo in separated bags, even if a store has your caliber, they may not have the brand or bullet weight and style your sighted in for.

That's a good point. I remember around here, all that was left on the shelves of 3 different gunshops were 280 Remington. Everything else was gone. I almost thought about buying a 280 at the time... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has the 300WSM become popular enough that ammunition is expected to be found most places? In other words, is this a travel rifle chambering "guranteed" to find ammunition on the shelf if your ammunition goes missing?

David

I think the answer to be "no"; and, I think the list fulfilling your requirement includes only 7 or 8 calibers/cartridges: 223, 243, 308, 270 30-06, 7 mm, 300 wm and maybe 30/30. I would put the 300 WSM in the second tier of availability of on-the-shelf ammo. That is, it's more available than most.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 06/27/16. Reason: I corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My stepson used up all his .450 Marlin ammo on the first day of PA deer season some years ago by shooting at deer running across a field. He missed them so we drove an hour that night to get him more ammo. A few years later he used up all his .257 Weatherby mag ammo on a SD pronghorn hunt. I couldn't find any of that. We scared up two rounds in his gear and the next day he shot a running antelope in the leg and missed it while it flopped around. He had to finish it with his belt knife. He doesn't hunt anymore.

Thank God for small miracles

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
But no one other than Kimber is building 300WSM's any lighter than a typical 300WM.

Sako 85 Finnlite 300 WSM weighs 7.2 scoped.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by JMR40
But no one other than Kimber is building 300WSM's any lighter than a typical 300WM.

Sako 85 Finnlite 300 WSM weighs 7.2 scoped.

I believe the Winchester EW is also lighter at about a 1/4 pound lighter..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

David

That's a good point. I remember around here, all that was left on the shelves of 3 different gunshops were 280 Remington. Everything else was gone. I almost thought about buying a 280 at the time... laugh

That's exactly why I bought my 280.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My goofy nephew came up to me at first light, 3 miles away and 1000 feet above the truck to tell me he forgot to bring his 06 shells. I told him to go over a ridge and see if he could borrow some rounds from one of our group he came back 1/2 hour later with his Barney Fife 3 bullets.

That probably doesn't happen with a 300 WSM but I'd rather have that than an 06 on an elk hunt.

He doesn't hunt anymore either - seems like a trend.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

David

That's exactly why I bought my 280.

laugh . I remember seeing some damn nice classic 280 fwt's at the time too. I wish I would have bought one. Now my LGS has a damn nice older Remington BDL mountain rifle for sale. $800.00 with an older leupold 3-9x40. Awfully tempting...

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You can get it all over Alaska on the road system. I think that you are safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the 300 wsm is generally available, nowhere to the extent of 06, 270, 243, 300 wm and others but I see it in a lot of places. The variety isn't great but seriously if I'm hunting a long way from home and need ammo $60/box isn't going to stop me.

I too load my own and always take way more ammo than I need but if availability was a concern I would take a 30/06 anywhere in the world.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Your guns and ammo are the first things you put in the truck. Double checking is the last thing you do before you drive off. I have forgotten my bullets before. I have walked a mile up the hill to the stand and remember bullets in camp. Bullets first!!!

Last edited by hanco; 07/30/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know about the WSM but can relate a tale about the 340 B and 2 boxes of carefully crafted hand loads with 210-gr TSXs--I left them at home. I had no ammo with the exception of three rounds that were in a leather cartridge carrier.

Not until I got to camp in northern CO did I discover it. The nearest "big" town was 45 min away, it was nighttime and I had serious concerns as to finding any as the only sporting goods store I noticed on the way in was a "Bobs".

They had [/i] one [i] box of 340s with 210-gr NP which I bought but knew would fly differently than mine but hoped I could get by with the three. I killed a killed a bull across a small canyon at about 475 yds with a single shot.

I even make lists but did some content and bag switching at the last minute and that's how it happened; stuff does happen--to me at least. I usually leave stuff at the hunt site rather than at home though cry .

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I tend to take a very long-term view. Long term, I can't see the .300 WSM and the .300 WM both surviving. They are too similar. Like everything else in business, there will be consolidation. One of the other will cease having rifles chambered for it and ammo will become scarcer, eventually becoming a hand loading only proposition.

My bet would be on the WM winning. Both have advantages (velocity vs. short action) but I think the WSM won't overcome the big head start of the WM.

The .300 H&H and .300 Wby will survive as cult cartridges with a small group of loonies.

As for the other .300 magnums recently introduced, fuggedaboudit.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.