Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dons1
Biographical accounts show Askins as a "recovery officer". That likely translates to him being and Ordnance weanie whose role was to collect the arms remaining on a battle field from casualties well after the smoke, fire and threat had subsided.

As a military retiree I resent Askins being portrayed as a "heroic" character when actually he carried out his perverse and cowardly acts well protected by real men of combat arms.

I've seen a good many of these "heros" and most veterans experienced in a combat environment will likely agree.
So tell us about Ordnance folks in WW2. You don't know [bleep]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
One thing stands out in my mind from "Unrepentant Sinner" - he liked to kill people from ambush or just plain shooting them in the back.

I was digging through Ken Howell's old posts trying to find his comments about Askins since he knew the man and apparently Askins liked him, and someone said something about Col. Askins being a good man to have your back. Ken replied that was probably not true, it all depended on whether Charlie liked you at that particular moment or not as he very well might shoot you there.

IIRC he did say that Col. Askins' favorite thing to kill was people, or his favorite thing to do was kill people, something like that.

Fugk Howell.

The reputation Askin's left behind is far more than Howell left behind. Except on the fugkin' internet of course.

You say a lot of stuff I don't agree with,but you are dead on here!

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are we, now, to suppose he's an animal for killing those who needed killing years ago and still do?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Nope,not from me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dirt. those late African hunts were the ones I wondered about.. He made a trip there almost every year for many years.. I knew he made lots of hunts while in the army..
You have some great stuff on his dad.. I enjoyed the material on the Browning..

How did Askins hunt that much? I knew a guy who never seemed to have two dimes to rub together. He hunted in Africa many times, killing six elephants, a lion, many kudu, etc., and even a tiger in India.

How did he do it? He hooked up as a booking agent for PHs in Africa and then went along on the trip to "help" with the clients. When the clients went home, he took over their licenses and shot the game still on their quotas. Then he would approach a farmer and offer, for room and board for a month or two, to thin out the game on the farmer's farm/ranch. He stayed in Africa for months at a time, hunting always and with no cash outlay.

His daughter ended up fairly wealthy, owning a DHL-like delivery service in Botswana. His son was killed in the Rhodesian bush wars.

His adventures were largely unknown but were not too different from Askins. He died last year at 93. too bd he couldn't, or didn't, write about it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RGK;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the day in your part of the world has started as peaceful, bright and clear as it is up here just across the medicine line from Washington State.

I wanted to say thanks to you, Dirt Farmer and the others who've added the information from personal interaction and the thread when Col. Askins granddaughter participated. It adds perspective and we tend to loose our grip on it anymore these days - or so it seems to me.

Very vividly I recall a conversation with a Canadian WWII vet - I'm 54 and grew up in an era when about half the adult males were vets - anyway this gentleman actually talked in some detail to me, which I'll note was relatively rare in my experience as I wasn't a fellow vet.

While I can't recall his exact phrasing, he said that the overriding regret he had from his wartime tour was finding out he was good at combat. While he was cognizant that skill had ensured he and many of his brothers in arms were able to return home, it still had a profound effect on him knowing he'd been born that way.

"What a terrible thing to find out you were good at" is how I recall him putting it. He followed by saying if he'd never have gone, he'd never have known - or that was his belief.

As mentioned, I believe that Col. Askins was relatively unique in that he'd talk/write about his personal experiences in combat.

Lastly we had family friends who were in several African countries doing mission work from 1959 until they retired some 30 years later. As far as I'm aware their children are still there.

We visited them in Kenya in 1975 and truly it was quite "civilized" then - all things taken into consideration.

That said, unless one has been there a fair bit or known folks who have, it's difficult to wrap our western heads around what passes for "civilized" there. I'll just leave that one there if that's alright.

Anyway thanks again to you and all who've made the thread an interesting read.

All the best to you all in the remaining days of summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
RGK;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the day in your part of the world has started as peaceful, bright and clear as it is up here just across the medicine line from Washington State.

I wanted to say thanks to you, Dirt Farmer and the others who've added the information from personal interaction and the thread when Col. Askins granddaughter participated. It adds perspective and we tend to loose our grip on it anymore these days - or so it seems to me.

Very vividly I recall a conversation with a Canadian WWII vet - I'm 54 and grew up in an era when about half the adult males were vets - anyway this gentleman actually talked in some detail to me, which I'll note was relatively rare in my experience as I wasn't a fellow vet.

While I can't recall his exact phrasing, he said that the overriding regret he had from his wartime tour was finding out he was good at combat. While he was cognizant that skill had ensured he and many of his brothers in arms were able to return home, it still had a profound effect on him knowing he'd been born that way.

"What a terrible thing to find out you were good at" is how I recall him putting it. He followed by saying if he'd never have gone, he'd never have known - or that was his belief.

As mentioned, I believe that Col. Askins was relatively unique in that he'd talk/write about his personal experiences in combat.

Lastly we had family friends who were in several African countries doing mission work from 1959 until they retired some 30 years later. As far as I'm aware their children are still there.

We visited them in Kenya in 1975 and truly it was quite "civilized" then - all things taken into consideration.

That said, unless one has been there a fair bit or known folks who have, it's difficult to wrap our western heads around what passes for "civilized" there. I'll just leave that one there if that's alright.

Anyway thanks again to you and all who've made the thread an interesting read.

All the best to you all in the remaining days of summer.

Dwayne

BC30cal, that's an interesting and poignant perception on the part of that vet.

On another note I've been to Africa, several times and my perception of Africa as a continent is that it has seen its best days from both the hunting aspect and the state of civilization aspect. That's a generalization of course.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good information.. The Col. was an interesting guy fo sure!!!!

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Got my copy of "Unrepentant Sinner" today. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ordered my copy today smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Going to the eye doctor in a little bit,so I have something to read while waiting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Careful.

You guys could turn into Askins junkies... shocked

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/01/16.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Hope so. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Got my copy of "Unrepentant Sinner" today. smile

Me too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It starts off with a bang, literally.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Just started where he's beginning his job in the Border Patrol.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Just started where he's beginning his job in the Border Patrol.

laugh

It gets better.

He's just setting you up... grin

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Figured it's going to get exciting from here. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Made it to chapter 7. That's enough for tonight.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.