Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I've hunted quail around the Mt. Riley area.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
While the Col. was stationed at Ft. Bliss, the Major moved from OK to be near the family.

During those years, he did a lot of desert quail hunting in SE NM, near Bliss. Photos of him holding quail along with his 1933 Superposed are in several books, maybe also in Unrepentant Sinner.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had the good fortune to end up with Major Charles Askins, Sr.'s personal Browning Superposed.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF

Thank you for that link, your acquisition of the Askins' Superposed is quite the find!

Last edited by gonehuntin; 08/02/16.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
While the Col. was stationed at Ft. Bliss, the Major moved from OK to be near the family.

During those years, he did a lot of desert quail hunting in SE NM, near Bliss. Photos of him holding quail along with his 1933 Superposed are in several books, maybe also in Unrepentant Sinner.

DF
Charles wrote that he hunted blue quail on the Cox ranch. Which is by the Organ Mountains. To get to the ranch you had to drive over St. Augustines pass.

[Linked Image]

This is a pic of part of the Organ Mts,where the pole is pointing is St. Augustines pass (more or less),the other side of the Organ Mts. is the Cox ranch and White Sands Missile Range. White Sands is where he hunted blue quail before the military took it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ft.Bliss is on the other side of the Franklin Mts. El Paso starts at where the telephone pole with the transformer is and Juarez,Mx is at the right just outside the pic.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that info and photos.

Interesting story coming up in Unrepentant Sinner about old man Cox and the Mexican cattle thieves. Evidently he was one tough SOB, Charlie's kinda man and close friend.

In that day and time, only the tough survived, must less prospered.

How far is this from your place?

DF

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Interesting story coming up in Unrepentant Sinner about old man Cox and the Mexican cattle thieves. Evidently he was one tough SOB, Charlie's kinda man and close friend.

DF

Supposedly one of the Cox family was involved in the Pat Garrett murder, which is still unsolved. Great stories and history.
Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Tough times, tougher people...

People today are weak and wormy compared to those guys.

I wonder how many would survive that life style.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not many would have the stomach to enter that lifestyle let alone survive it methinks. There may seem to be a sort of aberrated glamor to it but the reality of it would be grit and a continual, inner anxiety to my way of thinking.

As Thoreau commented, "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation". Unless one was a totally disconnected sociopath, I cannot imagine any of these kinds of men having many minutes of peaceful introspection.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
[quote=Dirtfarmer]
Supposedly one of the Cox family was involved in the Pat Garrett murder, which is still unsolved. Great stories and history.
Bob

Rob Cox told me that he thought that one of his father's cowboys had probably killed Pat Garrett.

Garrett had alienated the Cox Ranch folks by hiding his buckboard in the brush nearby one morning until all of the men had gone out to work. He then entered the big house unannounced, with his gun in hand, in an attempt to arrest a teenager that was one of the household staff. The boy was well-liked and apparently no one had any idea that he was wanted. When the boy saw Garrett coming into the kitchen, he dove out of a window as Garrett fired several shots at him.

Old Man Cox was incensed that Garrett would barge into his house and discharge his weapon at an unarmed youth, severely frightening all of the women that had remained. Apparently, his anger (and that of his ranch hands) did not subside as time went on and only became more intense.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ben,was Garrett,"Law" at the time, or just bounty hunting ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I understood it, he was the Sheriff.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is very difficult and quite often, fallacious, to judge a peace officer as to his actions close to 90 years ago. The U.S./Mexico border when Askins was working it as a Border Patrol agent, was an extremely rough and dangerous place, from what I have read of those days. The "border" was not a place that would ensure an officer's survival, were he to be working under today's politically correct "rules of engagement."

Here is an exert from an article Askins wrote in the 1957 The Gun Digest, "A Man's Sixgun." He was writing about the "new" S&W .44 Magnum revolver.

"During one somewhat lively decade of an otherwise prosaic life, I worked the Rio Grande as a border patrolman. Every night of that half score years I wished for just such a shooting iron as this big bruiser, this fine new howitzer, the .44 Magnum. Sometimes we had as many as three separate and distinct gunfights during an 8 hour shift. Had this big Maggie sixgun been around, what a lulu of a pacifier it would have been on the border."

Three separate gunfights a night. That, boys and girls, is a lot of very dangerous action which would necessitate giving "no quarter" as the bandits, the outlaws, certainly would be returning the favor.

Today, political correctness demands that very little resistance by the U.S. Border Patrol agents is allowed. I can understand that 80/90 years ago, if a border patrolman encountered bandits and outlaws who had no compunction about shooting patrolmen, that it was wise to get in the first shot.

Askins was a man-of-his-times... and he survived.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was at White Sands Missile Range off and on for about 3 1/2 years when I worked for the Army Missile Command. Saw a lot of those blue quail and Gambel's quail, and always wanted to hunt them, but never got the chance.

Got to be friends with some of the locals around Las Cruces, near the Cox ranch, as well as over in Lincoln and Otero Counties on the East and North side of the Missile Range. To this day, Pat Garrett is not held in very high esteem by a lot of folks in that area.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by RGK
[quote=Dirtfarmer]
Bob

Rob Cox told me that he thought that one of his father's cowboys had probably killed Pat Garrett.

Garrett had alienated the Cox Ranch folks by hiding his buckboard in the brush nearby one morning until all of the men had gone out to work. He then entered the big house unannounced, with his gun in hand, in an attempt to arrest a teenager that was one of the household staff. The boy was well-liked and apparently no one had any idea that he was wanted. When the boy saw Garrett coming into the kitchen, he dove out of a window as Garrett fired several shots at him.

Old Man Cox was incensed that Garrett would barge into his house and discharge his weapon at an unarmed youth, severely frightening all of the women that had remained. Apparently, his anger (and that of his ranch hands) did not subside as time went on and only became more intense.

Great story; thanks!
Bob

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

DF
First and foremost I made a booboo,it's San Augustine Pass not St. Augustine Pass. blush

Mt. Riley is about 50 miles South and West from where I am right now. When I go out that way again I'll take a picture of the "mountain".

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ver interesting stuff guys and thanks for your comments and contributions here. Because life has been so compacted and exponentially so by the technology age, it's hard to imagine how different life was ninety years ago.

I can distinctly remember the 60's when I was a teen and how much different it was from now, and then go retro another forty or so, and there is no doubt in my mind that "they" were still walking the "rim" of the Old West and its ways.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by mudhen
As I understood it, he was the Sheriff.
Yup,Pat Garrett was Sheriff.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff guys!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leanwolf - thank you very much.

That puts this subject in a proper perspective. I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (7887mm08, allscopedup, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.