Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
Where are all the points of aim to hit that small bundle when they are not 90 degree perfect broadside? Or are they always? 😏

They are on the TV Bubbavision shows...I can't believe the easy stuff they pass up because " theres no shot opportunity..."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then they can't find anything shot in strong daylight until the moon comes out?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" When in doubt, back out" seems to be their mantra..especially bowhunters.

If they leave it overnight the meat will either spoil or as Ive seen many times the coyotes get it. In either case our hero now doesn't have to deal with it and can go to the next state and next tree stand...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am distrustful of those "every time" shots.Nor in absolutes when it comes to this stuff.

Bob, the only absolute Ive seen is that when a well hit critter collapses on the spot,rear end first, then the front end follows...said critter is not getting up....

a number of different shot placements will accomplish this. But like you, if the critter goes down like a rug has been yanked out from under it, I'm reloaded and watching it through the scope for a while....

Yep!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another oddity is the extremely LR shooters seem on average to have them down and out quicker than the close range group. Odd....

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Another oddity is the extremely LR shooters seem on average to have them down and out quicker than the close range group. Odd....

This is about the first thing you and I have ever disagreed on. smile

I don't think it's true at all. Urban myth.

edited: I read the thread...your comment was TIC. never mind. blush

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/07/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the only absolute Ive seen is that when a well hit critter collapses on the spot,rear end first, then the front end follows...said critter is not getting up....

It is hard to get up with a broken spine grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am distrustful of those "every time" shots.Nor in absolutes when it comes to this stuff.

Bob, the only absolute Ive seen is that when a well hit critter collapses on the spot,rear end first, then the front end follows...said critter is not getting up....

a number of different shot placements will accomplish this. But like you, if the critter goes down like a rug has been yanked out from under it, I'm reloaded and watching it through the scope for a while....

I could not agree more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Moi, TIC? Naaaa...., smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon Bob. He is a "lil slow" at times....... grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did shoot a deer once at 625 yds. and watch it go down instantly.

I was pretty much just showing off, but really was goaded into it.

A couple guys said it would be nice to shoot a deer in the back of the field on land across the road. There is always a ton of deer there. One guy said yes, but we could never hit one from here anyway. Other guy said yes, but Ken could. Guy called BS. Long story short, I dialed elevation and took out the deer on first shot. DRT.

It really was kind of cheating, because I had ranged that field many times. I already knew exactly how far it was. But they didn't know I knew cool

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
" When in doubt, back out" seems to be their mantra..especially bowhunters.

If they leave it overnight the meat will either spoil or as Ive seen many times the coyotes get it. In either case our hero now doesn't have to deal with it and can go to the next state and next tree stand...

I had to leave a bow shot raghorn bull blood trail one evening, when I couldn't follow it anymore, due to leaving a flashlight at home.

Came back the next morning to find the bull a hundred or so yards further down the trail. This was early Oct, and fairly hot out. I was worried sick about it, but everything ended up being OK. Honestly, it was one of the best eating elk I have ever killed. I really think there is something to aging meat in somewhat warm temps. You gotta be real careful though as it can spoil just as easily, especially if the skin is left on in warmer temps.

IMO, early season antelope/deer/elk/whatever aged in September temps is ALWAYS better than late season critters aged in colder temps. It is nice to not have any worries about spoilage though, which is why I love my November hunts.

Sorry for getting off track...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your TIC again.....

But I'll trade my smarts for his 24-7-365. wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Pardon Bob. He is a "lil slow" at times....... grin

Zero.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awwww come on now Bob. You know I was only funnin' with ya in regards to not picking up on Battue's sarcasm right away. No need to be that way....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right here at the crosshair, or at said joint right next to crosshair will bang flop a deer and keep it there, more reliably than any other shot. I have done it more times than I can remember.

[Linked Image]

This is the answer.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
the only absolute Ive seen is that when a well hit critter collapses on the spot,rear end first, then the front end follows...said critter is not getting up....

It is hard to get up with a broken spine grin

Tell me about it.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I double lunged a 90 pound doe with a 270gr hornady SP at 50 yards and she ran.
Now, Helen Keller could have tracked it with her hands in her pockets...but, she did bolt.
And yet, the measly little 110 Sierra at 2200 MV from my blackout dropped the same size deer on his feet with nary a wiggle. But the shot was in his neck.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I double lunged the second largest doe I have ever laid eyes on. DNR said she was 5.5 yrs. old.

444 Marlin via 270 gr. Speer GD. She ran probably 70 yds. through the cedar swamp. A very thick and nasty cedar swamp. It seemed like 170 yds. However, you did not have to be Geronimo to track her. The blood trail was probably a full 10 ft. wide spraying out both sides of her. Still haven't seen anything quite like it. The entrance hole was golf ball sized. The exit hole baseball sized. It was a mofo dragging her out of the thicket. The whole time my bud's old man was screaming at me for not anchoring the deer where I had shot it. Good times.........grin

I shot 7 straight deer in the neck after that grin Bang flopped a nice black bear with same exact handloads earlier that season.

It was experiences like those in my younger days that taught me how to bang flop deer.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What happened with the walkers, trotters and runners?

Last edited by battue; 08/16/16.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.