-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. He has a Shakespearean grasp of human nature, a fantastic imagination and a razor sharp sense of satire. There's over 40 books in the series but it's still not enough. (They stand alone well, you don't have to read them all to find out how it ends.)

A big +1 to Lord of the Rings, My Side of the Mountain, Master and Commander and The Old Man and the Boy.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ah! More fans of Russian authors! Ever read and Gogol???

I to have a copy of Bulgakov! wink

The overcoat and Dead Souls by Gogol

Great reads

Read in Russian

Also a gifted writer as were Chekhov and Pushkin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since no one else has mentioned it - West with the Night by Beryl Markham. She grew up in Africa, nearly got eaten by a lion as a child, then went on to have many adventures. She became a pilot, and was the first person (not just the first woman) to fly across the Atlantic from east to west. The stories she tells range from hysterically funny to very sad. Her command of the language was so strong that Hemingway himself called it "Bloody superb".

Corbett's The Temple Tiger is also one of my favorites.

There are many others, too numerous to list, that I have enjoyed.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Currently[about to finish] The Chief Culprit, Stalin's Grand Design to Start WWII

Recommended by someone here.
It will be one of my top five.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never read one in my life.in fact i haven't watched a movie in 30 years. even with a broken leg i can't do that crap.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
never read one in my life.in fact i haven't watched a movie in 30 years. even with a broken leg i can't do that crap.

WOW......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
Currently[about to finish] The Chief Culprit, Stalin's Grand Design to Start WWII

Recommended by someone here.
It will be one of my top five.

sounds interesting

another to add to my list

There is another book about the attempted assassination plot of Stalin at Yalta, trying to remember the title but sounded like a good read

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tom Wolf wrote some good novels. The Right Stuff, Bonfire of the Vanities and others.

Detective - James Lee Burke

storytelling fiction. Another plug for Wilber Smith

This guy very good historian and interesting well written books. Read of the them. The Stalingrad book is very good

https://www.amazon.com/Ardennes-1944-Battle-Antony-Beevor/dp/0670025313/ref=pd_sim_14_29?ie=UTF8&dpID=61t3in9FBcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=PM6EW2A2VN59JTBQGRK6

Last edited by ribka; 08/15/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter

I started reading heavily at a very young age, almost anything I could get my hands on. Most of what I know about the world was picked up incidently from novels and outdoor books, as well as history books and good magazines. Without all that reading, I'd be a pretty dull boy, I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Way too many to just pick one...
The Old Man and The Boy
Use Enough Gun
Shogun
The Sackett Series
Point of Impact
The Third Bullet
and, and,and...

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Kama Sutra

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Solomon Gursky Was Here by Mordecai Richler

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Sacajawea"
by Anna Lea Waldo

"The rivers ran East"
by Leonard Clark

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you have the right sense of humor for it, this book will make you laugh until tears roll down your cheeks.

https://www.amazon.com/Confederacy-Dunces-John-Kennedy-Toole/dp/0802130208

“I suspect that I am the result of particularly weak conception on the part of my father. His sperm was probably emitted in a rather offhand manner.”
― John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

Some pretty good dry humor in that book!

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For fiction, I’ll second The Road. McCarthy is an amazing writer. His writing flows. The setting (post-apocalyptic) is engaging and the theme (a parent’s love for his child and his willingness to sacrifice) is powerful.

I love his word choice. Here is part of the end. At first it may not seem to fit with the story, but if you think about it afterwards, it does.

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

His No Country for Old Men is a good read. His Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain are some of the most well written and engaging books I’ve ever read.

When I first read Horses I read the line that goes something like, “He stood with his hat in his hands like a supplicant to the darkness that overshadows us all.” I read the page over a few times and the connotations were amazing. The end of Cities of the Plain was almost inevitable and I never saw it coming. They are books that have so much in them, and they aren’t heavy-handed at all, that I needed to read them over to just try and process.

I liked The Great Gatsby and the short Winter Dreams, also by Fitzgerald. I also really enjoy some Bradbury. His short R is for Rocket has some astronauts floating in space to their deaths. They talk to each about their lives and what matters. For a sci-fi short story, it is very well done.

I loved Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. In the novel people spend their time watching huge TV sets and become less and less involved with each other, and ultimately, unhappy. There are parallels with our society’s involvement in social media (Facebook, et al.) and many peoples’ inability to interact with real people and have real relationships. It’s not just his theme that is good, like McCarthy, I love his choice of words and the impact they create for me.

One of my all-time favorites is Bradbury’s Something Wicked This Way Comes. In the story a carnival comes to town, granting people’s wishes. Later, the people pay a really bad price. The protagonist, Charles Halloway (A bit obvious of a name for the good guy!) needs to decide if he wants to be young again. It makes for a good read. The screenplay for the movie adaptation was written by Bradbury and is also really good. Jason Robards is the good guy and Jonathon Pryce is a great bad guy. If you want to spend four minutes, here’s Pryce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK02PA0IVK4

I also love the short story Gods, by Vladimir Nabokov. The imagery he creates is unreal.

“Here is what I see in your eyes right now: rainy night, narrow street, streetlamps gliding away into the distance. The water runs down the drainpipes from steeply sloping roofs.”
“Under the snake’s-mouth of each pipe stands a green-hooped bucket. Rows of buckets line the black walls on either side of the street. I watch as they fill with cold mercury. The pluvial mercury swells and overflows. The bareheaded lamps float in the distance, their rays standing on end in the rainy murk. The water in the buckets is overflowing.”

“Thus I gain entry to your overcast eyes, to a narrow alley of black glimmer where the nocturnal rain gurgles and rustles. Give me a smile. Why do you look at me so balefully and darkly? It’s morning. All night the stars shrieked with infant voices and, on the roof, someone lacerated and caressed a violin with a sharp bow. Look, the sun slowly crossed the wall like a blazing sail. You emanate an enveloping smoky haze. Dust starts swirling in your eyes, millions of golden worlds. You smiled!”

It didn’t click for me what was going on in the story until the end. Then I had to re-read it and try not to choke-up.

Hemingway, and yes he was a misogynist who battled alcohol abuse and emotional problems throughout his life, is, in some of his works, literally transcendent. He takes his art to a level that can leave me stunned. An End to Something and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber are two of my favorite short stories. For Whom the Bells Toll is truly great. I know many people read The Old Man and the Sea in school and it’s just a story about a guy catching a big fish, but it’s really about the masculine ideal and suffering to prove ourselves and so much more. It’s another one I’ve read several times and really enjoy.

For just fun reading, I read all 20 Jack Reacher novels within the last year. I guess I shouldn't call violence fun, I just mean as easy to read page turners, they are good.

I’m typed out, but as someone wrote above, I appreciate these threads, too. From one of these threads a few years ago I read River of No Return (Roosevelt in South America.) and The Heart of the Sea, and some other really good ones. I also really liked Endurance. (Those are non-fiction, and I wasn’t going to get started on another category of books!)

Oh, I like the Nick Jans essay collections. And I like…all right, I’m stopping now.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A couple I liked.

The swallows and Amazons series (its a family tradition to read them to our kids)

Where the Red Fern Grows

The Caine Mutiny (another book that was butchered by hollywood).

Lord of the Rings

Wheel of time series.

And recently the Martian, the movie was ok, but the book was much better.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"A Short HIstory of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson is a phenominal book that covers the history of the evolution of geology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, etc...all of that and alot more with a humorous slant to it all.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pittu
"A Short HIstory of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson is a phenominal book that covers the history of the evolution of geology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, etc...all of that and alot more with a humorous slant to it all.

I forgot about Bryson. If you haven't read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, your life is not complete. A co-worker brought it to me one day and said, "This man wrote about your life." She was very right.

Last edited by 5sdad; 08/15/16.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a voracious reader as a kid. Literally thousands of books have gone through my hands.

Hard to say "best" but there are 3 that I read over and over and over as a kid and still could as an adult.

1. Moby Dick - Herman Melville.
2. The Talisman - Stephen King.
3. Big Red - Jim Kjelgaard.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by noKnees
Wheel of time series.

Man, that was a hell of a long series to read. I think it took me about 20 years from the 1st to the last, waiting for the next one to be published. In the same vein, Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series was also excellent.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 689 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,637
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.