Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jeff
FYI there's some 6.5 brass for sale in the classifieds!

GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. Not ready to buy brass. First comes the lead time stuff- barrel and stock, reamer & gauges. This won't be ready till winter/spring 2017.

I spoke with GAP and they've got more brass coming in this fall... honestly I wouldn't consider building it without a brass source. I'm tired of chasing brass.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Every time I think about getting another short magnum in 7mm or .30 cal, I just look at everything Pat and George have killed with the 6.5 4S and decide to spend my money on primers, bullets and powder...

Every time I think about building a 6.5 4s I think about all the stuff people have been killing for 100 years with the Swede... including millions of moose. So, I just keep shooting the .260... which is about the same thing....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now you gone and done it.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Every time I think about getting another short magnum in 7mm or .30 cal, I just look at everything Pat and George have killed with the 6.5 4S and decide to spend my money on primers, bullets and powder...

Every time I think about building a 6.5 4s I think about all the stuff people have been killing for 100 years with the Swede... including millions of moose. So, I just keep shooting the .260... which is about the same thing....

You're way ahead.....

Just took me 4 of them for it to wear off.... Grin....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Yep, one can't have too many 6.5's!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, I've been slowly wading through the long thread on SH about the inception of the round. Much respect for all involved and the overall way it's been handled. I love that the 6.5 GAP is spec'd, so to speak, as a low-pressure round run with full cases of slow powder, with long barrel life and brass life. Very cool.

I'm liking the notion to dupe the Xtreme more and more... in Gardner I trust, grin.... with the possible exceptions of the Vais brake, and the DBM setup. With the new, shorter-freebore reamer GAP switched to- at least new in 2014, which is as far as I've gotten in that thread- a Wyatt's would give me plenty of COAL. And I'd never used a brake. However....... guys who know rifles rave about the Xtreme, so.... might be best to follow the recipe <g>.

I like that the shorter-freebore reamer should work well with my Kimber's COAL limits too... oh my... a 6.5 SAUM Montana....

Thanks for the inspiration, guys. Should be ordering my 24" Blumlein #3 fluted 8.7 next week... and the Manners stock. Are reloading dies still a long lead time item?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Whidden probably has dies in stock. They make a nice bushung set. Very happy wih mine. The 6.5 SAUM is a geat round. I got one last year and killed 4 critters in 3 states with the 130 gr JLK at 3150 fps.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks sambo! Talked to Manners and Bartlein on Monday and am getting those two major lead time items ordered in the next few days.

How are you guys liking the Hornady GAP 4S brass? Is GAP still recommending using their neck-turn reamer even with that brass?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeff, fire up your manners order asap. I ordered two in early December and just got the shipping confirmation yesterday. Bartlein ran me about 6 months.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, it might be quicker and cheaper to buy a used Extreme Hunter off snipers hide - there have been a few lately at a substantial savings over new.

ALDO LEOPOLD
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Kimber7, thanks, but building it is at least half the fun, and I'm all set up for it.

I ordered the Manners SL stock and a SS fluted 1:8.7 24" Bartlein #3 last week. I'm ordering a bare (no bolt) M700 short action tomorrow and will fit a PTG magnum face fluted bolt to it. I'm going to shamelessly follow the GAP Xtreme Hunter blueprint. Differences will be, M700 action (trued) and I'm a huge fan of the Timney CE trigger so I'm going that way. Also, I doubt I'll Ceracoat it. Other than that in following their pattern to the letter.

It's gonna be a fauXtreme. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jeff O -
would love to see the progress. I'm 55 shots down my GAP Non-Typical in 6.5 SAUM - basically Xtreme with floor plate and B&C stock that I like tons.

Just so happens that I drew my Wyo Sheep permit on the 17th try so we'll see how she does in the back country in 3 weeks. Love the gun and caliber. Right now I'm a bit slow it seems to some of the other numbers posted.

61.5 H1000 and 140 VLD hunting = 3020 fps. But, I'm punching several honest 1/2" MOA groups at 100 and I'm no benchrest shooter.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gies, sounds like a great rifle and a great tag! Mine is (nominally) for an antelope hunt next year that I've saved 15 years of points towards.

The lead time on the stock and barrel is ~ 6 months. So it'll be a while before there's anything to show. I am going to true the action and fit the bolt long before then though. And buy parts. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I promise I pulled that thistle. My rancher wife chewed my butt when I sent her the same photo.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
PS - I went with their muzzle brake. Never thought I would but it is so mild to shoot other than the sound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gies,
Looks nice. Did you have them use Badger M4 floor plate with the GAP mag box?

ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn't specify any options here it's their 3-inch mag box and follower for WSM per the Non-Typical spec.

hope that helps,

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That looks like a cow thistle. We have those, they are not great but not SO bad... however, we have been trying to get rid of a Canadian Thistle infestation for the last decade. About got them, but I've said that before... we'll see.

Interesting on the brake. Do you have the VAIS that GAP uses on the Xtreme?

I had confused myself about which of the (3) GAP-spec'd reamers to use. Reading the threads on the Hide, it's confusing because it changes over time... then the new brass comes along and that further changes things... Anyway, I want to use the GAP 6.5 brass, and I don't want to turn the necks. Talked with Dustin at GAP today (such nice folks there!) and the .2962" NK reamer is the one.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.