Longer barrel - as in rifle

Got it. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Phil,

How does the Buffalo Bore load that you used compare to something like American Eagle 147gr FMJ's in relation to penetration?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis, I don't know how all the loads stack up but would guess that equal bullet weights and velocities should give similar penetration. In my limited testing I was suprised to find find that in most test material that standard military grade 115 gr fmj bullets were not far behind.
And fmj .30 Tokarev loads gave great penetration.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Phil, with the round-nose FMJs - the way you were testing them - were you getting straight penetration (straightish?) compared to the Buffalo Bore flat noses?

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Phil,

Darn glad to hear all came out of the episode safe and unharmed. Sounds like quite an exciting rodeo! I

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 458Win
Travis, I don't know how all the loads stack up but would guess that equal bullet weights and velocities should give similar penetration. In my limited testing I was suprised to find find that in most test material that standard military grade 115 gr fmj bullets were not far behind.
And fmj .30 Tokarev loads gave great penetration.

That was my guess. Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So Phil, are you a big believer in quantity now? Would you rather have an auto over a revolver, assuming good bullets were used?

That is kind of my takeaway from the story. I'm thinking my G21 with 13 rounds of 255gr BB hard casts is a pretty decent choice.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Autos and revolvers each have their strengths and weakness' for a personal protection.
A large caliber revolver is like a heavy double rifle. both powerful and reliable but limited in the number of shots it holds
A semi auto can be made slim and lightweight and capable of quickly firing two or three times the amount of ammunition.
You pays your money and takes your chances .

No mater your choice, you still have to be able to shoot it both quickly and well.

For a hunting handgun, especially for large game, I prefer a large bore revolver.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bellydeep
So Phil, are you a big believer in quantity now? Would you rather have an auto over a revolver, assuming good bullets were used?

That is kind of my takeaway from the story. I'm thinking my G21 with 13 rounds of 255gr BB hard casts is a pretty decent choice.

Not Phil or even close, but I have a comment about that.

If you're going for quantity, consider not just how many rounds the gun holds, but how fast you can deliver them. A 30 round magazine in a semi-auto is useless if the gun is as slow to shoot as a big bore revolver.

I think your G21 is a step in the right direction, but I encourage you do experiment with follow up shot speed of different loads. I also carry a G21 sometimes, and found the heavy 255gr loads really slowed down my follow up shot speed. Some compromise is needed between power and speed, and what works best for me may not be best for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

If you're going for quantity, consider not just how many rounds the gun holds, but how fast you can deliver them. A 30 round magazine in a semi-auto is useless if the gun is as slow to shoot as a big bore revolver.

I think your G21 is a step in the right direction, but I encourage you do experiment with follow up shot speed of different loads. I also carry a G21 sometimes, and found the heavy 255gr loads really slowed down my follow up shot speed. Some compromise is needed between power and speed, and what works best for me may not be best for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

THAT is the conundrum ! Self defense is not the same a hunting. Just as CQB differs from sniping .
If bear hunting with a handgun I would chose my son's 475 Linebaugh but to carry on my hip every day for 12 hours I want something lighter and smaller. it is usually my S&W 629 44 Mtn Gun or S&W M-65 357. In this last case I was not expecting any trouble but didn't want to go totally unarmed so was carrying a 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo that I had previously tested and knew would penetrate deep enough if necessary.

I am not recommending a 9mm - but if that is all you have and can shoot it then make sure to stoke it with dependable ammo.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

Learn how to shoot a big bore revolver properly and you would be amazed at how fast one can be shot and still hit as this video clearly demonstrates

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwp475

Learn how to shoot a big bore revolver properly and you would be amazed at how fast one can be shot and still hit as this video clearly demonstrates

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/

I firmly believe less than 1% of the shooting public has the ability to do that. I openly admit my handgun abilities are not there, and will never be. And I respectfully hold my hat in my hand to those fellas (and gals) who can.

I just have to get by knowing what I'm able to do with my single action Ruger SBH .44Mag or Glock 35 loaded correctly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by jwp475

I firmly believe less than 1% of the shooting public has the ability to do that. I openly admit my handgun abilities are not there, and will never be. And I respectfully hold my hat in my hand to those fellas (and gals) who can.

I just have to get by knowing what I'm able to do with my single action Ruger SBH .44Mag or Glock 35 loaded correctly.

I'd wager a high percentage could if they put forth the effort

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All i can say is i would rather have a 9mm than have nothing if attacked

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I have said all along, I am not specifically recommending ANY caliber, but recommending a handgun that YOU are FAMILIAR AND COMFORTABLE WITH and then choose the HEAVIEST and DEEP PENETRATING bullet you can find.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
As I have said all along, I am not specifically recommending ANY caliber, but recommending a handgun that YOU are FAMILIAR AND COMFORTABLE WITH and then choose the HEAVIEST and DEEP PENETRATING bullet you can find.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good advise for any defensive situation. Pick the right bullet, practice with the right gun and the right ammo, go forth And be unafraid

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
got charged a while tracking a 275 lb. boar that this boy shot and wounded. I put seven 230 gr. 45 ACP hardball rounds out of a Glock 36 in him as he charged from less than 15'.

[Linked Image]

Shortly after that. No more Mr. Nice Guy.........

Glock 20SF in 10MM S&W, 15+1, 200 grainers.

[Linked Image]

works for me!

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/16/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Nice shootin! Looks like it got the job done!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like the way you roll GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.