Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a braked .338 Win Mag. I liked it well enough but I had to wear earplugs and shooting muffs simultaneously. One day I forgot to slip my muffs over my plugs. My ears rang for the next year. I don't have that gun anymore.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems the majority of you frequently visit the "public" range

That has to suck

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Ringman

Generally, these are my thoughts on brakes too and those that have them on rifles...

99% of the time it's someone who's waaay overcartridged and way under their perceived shooting skills...

There are some guns that are just plain loud. I was at the range when both I, with my braked rifle, and a friend without a braked rifle agreed that a guy with a 7mm Mag without a brake was louder than my braked rifle. Both were using about the same amount of powder.

Do you same guys moan and whine about a guy with a .454 revolver on a bench next to you. They are just as loud as a braked rifle.

You just happen to fit my 99% perfectly, imagine that....

Ladder tests, Hubble scopes as spotters, big huge brakes on custom wildcats that burn waaay to much powder for their gain, holier than thou attitude....you fit the brake user profile perfectly....

You didn't answer the question so I guess the answer is "yes".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tedthorn

That has to suck

Had to elbow my way in here...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here I am throwing brass and there is some muzzel blast from the brake....and from a road

Damn AR rifle to boot

Lotta folks hate those

[img:center]http://s165.photobucket.com/user/doetail68/media/953ba4b5.mp4.html[/img]

I don't know what kind of rifle the guy had, but his black rifle threw brass at least twenty-five feet and was hitting the side of my car. Someone indicated this to him and he seemed oblivious to it. Another black rifle shooter had some kind of catcher on his. I guess he didn't like to chase his brass.

As far as being considerate with a braked rifle, I try to be the first one there and finish early. Does that make me a good person. No. It make me a shooter who wants to get there before the wind comes up. But it is a public range and it is what it is.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That has to suck

It really does Ted. One day I'll have my own range.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Everybody seems so angry.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Before I had a suppressor, I ran brakes. Without one or the other, it is all but impossible to spot your own hits in the glass. Yes, they are loud...and suppressors are better...but I dont care. They work for the purpose intended. Those with brakes have just as much right to shoot as those who do not.

What a bunch of codgers.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you can't stand brakes, don't go to the Icebreaker.

They're on damn near every rifle.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That has to suck

Nah - it's too far from the cities so many times I have the range to myself, even on weekends. Several 50-100 yard lanes, one multi-bench, and a multi-nbench 100-600 long range.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calm the hypersensitivity guys. Being at the range next to a rifle with a brake can be loud and unpleasant, but owning a loud rifle can come in handy with range hogs.

We had a "bench rest" guy that had this habit of setting up shop and monopolizing 3 benches with his crap and taking 1 shot every 2 minutes or so and being reluctant to go cold so others could place and take down targets.

He'd go late on Friday's when I would go and the range was otherwise not so busy. Mr. Snob pretty much turned his nose up any anyone not putting up wind flags or shoot 6mm PPC from a rifle with a truck axel sized barrel.

Finally fed up with his condescending ways and his range monopoly, I had a solution for him. I showed up, and usual he made three of us wait 15-20 before he would go cold and let us go down range. He had 4 benches covered in his stuff. Spotter on one, rifles on 2 others, shot from the 4th.

After 30 minutes, one of the other guys wanted to change/retrieve targets and this guy wouldn't go cold because he was "working on a string". Whatever. I went to my car and pulled out my 450/400 double and the ammo case. I set up and started shooting at 50 yards. Boom! Boom! I cut loose with a right and left, and then did it again. Mr. Snob suddenly looked irritated and walked down to my station where he witnessed another right and left. Boom! Boom!

"How many more of those you got to shot" Mr. Snob asked in an obviously irritated tone.

"Oh, not many. I only brought 60 or so today." Boom! Boom!

Mr. Snob packed up his crap in a huff and left.

The other two shooter came down, checked out the double and gave me high 5 for chasing him off. I put the double away and the rest of us had a pleasant afternoon shooting, snob free.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Much like Hatari's guy I used to have to put up with a wind flag guy who would handload in between shots and hog up multiple benches. He always shot .220 Russian and was a total range snob. One day he was extra ornery so I set up to his left and gave him a brass shower with my SKS. He was pissed. He left though.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.