Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
need new chrono ,had a PACT bought in 03 ,it never read my pistol ammo only the rifle,and it would miss shots on it also ,but only once in awhile. down to the two above i know there is a big differance in price ,the pact had a small window ,if got out of it it would not read ,they say P-35 has a larger window? is that true?which is better P-35 or CED ,?dont need to down load results to computer or anything like that,only dependabilty to read the bullets velocity with out missing the shot readings ,

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 35, and if it had failed during the time replacements were unavailable, I would have replaced it with the CED.

With 35s available again, I would replace it with another. As a matter of fact, I have replaced the skyscreens with the newer version. The old ones did not fail, the new versions are simply better.

Without any experience with the CED, I won't say the Oehler is better. I will say that I've heard that it (the CED) is a quality unit, though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I went Magnetospeed after I started getting weird readings on my Chrony. That might not be useful for you though.

Hunt Africa while you can
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the 35P with printer - it works great in all kinds of light. The only negative I could add is that it takes a bit of time to set it up and get it aligned. Same thing to put it away.

It is like the Energizer Bunny - it just keeps on working and working. i always have a spare battery, but normally only need it about once a year.

I have no experience with the CED.

Last edited by CraigD; 08/18/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the CED and it can definitely produce different readings with variations in lighting conditions. I now always put an additional shade over it. However, it is better than my Master Beta Chrony.

At some time in the future I'm going to upgrade to a Lab Radar.

405wcf

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Switched from a Oehler 35 to a LabRadar this year and have been very pleased with the change. It is about the same price wise as a new 35P, even a slight bit less.

There are no screens to set up with the LabRadar. The unit rests on the bench. Turn it on and go to shooting. Way less hassle and minimal time and effort to set up and take down.

Long term durability and reliability of the Labrador remains to be seen. The Oehler was very reliable with ten years of service and no issues. Both have worked well with pistol and rifle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All I will say is that I have an Oehler and have never,ever failed to get good readings.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Had a CED for a while and it worked, but not well enough for casual use, but missed shots and was very sensitive to light variations.

Right now I have six chronographs, but my Oehler 35P is the one I rely upon, both for serious work and when checking out the accuracy of other brands. With a little practice (and reading the excellent directions) it doesn't take long to set up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

As Johnny said, for serious work, you always want to choose the Oehler 35P.

And, besides, Dr. Ken is one heck of a good guy; totally one of us.

kd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My CED gave consistently slow readings across the board, regardless of light conditions. I gave it away and bought a 35P. If I were in the market now, I might give the labradar unit a look since I hate setting up sky screens.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm still using an Oehler 33 that I bought back in the 80's.

I know where I'd shop if I was in the market.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They all have strengths and weaknesses. I've owned the 33, 35P, CED, Pact, Magnetospeed (2 of them) and the Labradar. I've settled for the MS for now. The Labradar won't read over 3900fps, is very touchy with other shooters nearby and also won't read small dia bullets. The MS will change your POI and group size and shape to varying degrees depending upon bullet length, velocity, mounting arrangement and barrel dia. The CED is not top tier quality in any way and cannot be depended upon. The 35 is quality in every way but I tired of set up hassles, size of the whole operation for storage and transport, having to wait for cease fires when shooting with others to manipulate it and always needing quality light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
The 35 always needing quality light.

I've found it better to skip using the diffusers under low light conditions....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I, like aalf, have been using an Oehler 33 for so long that I am sold on it, in my case, totally.
Archiving things takes a while compared to a 35P with it's printer. It's a few seconds that add up over a day's shooting. I use spiral binders, so have a bunch.
The set up isn't so bad, as it's permanent and sits in my pickup bed, so only takes a couple minutes to set up.
I use a 5' spread with a 5' starter screen, giving a 7 1/2' instrumental-velocity. It seems unaffected by being so close to the starter screen.
I use a bunch of calibers from .222 through .300WinMag, to .375/348 Imp with no inaccuracies noted. I also use several pistol cartridges like the .357 Herrett and .41 Mag and sometimes 12 gauge.
.22 rimfire go across the screens, from time to time.
It's MY choice.
Have fun,
Gene

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackbrush,

I haven't had any kind of trouble with varying light conditions when using my 35P, one reason it's my main chronograph. When have you had trouble?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use an Oehler 35P, and I've found it to be very reliable. Light conditions haven't been any problem, and the set up isn't any big deal once you get the routine.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
The Labradar won't read over 3900fps, is very touchy with other shooters nearby and also won't read small dia bullets.

Can't say about over 4k but my LR reads 75gn A-max's quite well. I got 23 out of 25 to read the last time I used it and a friend used it the other day and got 20/20. Another friend has a 20 Practical and we read 9/10 shots. That's the only sub-.224's I've ever tried to read with it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only one I have ever owned is the 35P, and it has seldom missed a shot, even with the old screens. It does require a bit of light, espicially at times of the year when we approch the equinoxs. (May be due to the direction my range faces).

The couple of times I have compared to a Chrony, I wasnt impressed with the Chronys consistency vs the 35P. But I really don't have enough shooting time over any other brand to give an honest evaluation. Everyone always wants to use mine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 35P and a one piece Chrony for instant setup or take with use.

If I lived someplace else I would use a Magnetospeed or a Labradar or both.

I use what is legally a public, membership required for insurance purposes only no initiation no work requirements, range on public land leased for $1 again for convenience and liability. It's seldom crowded. Then again I'm an RSO. The hardest part of setup is making another trip from parking to the firing line. Shooting south to north.

Under these circumstances the 35P is the clear choice with no drawbacks in setup and use for my purposes.

Under other circumstances I would start with a Magnetospeed for the lower price and easier setup combined with ease of using indoor ranges and all the rest. If I found shifting POI or other issues with the Magnetospeed I'd go with a Labradar.

As it is I trust my readings, I don't worry about base area or shape or bullet mass or material. I will confess that I sometimes look at the 35P case when I'm loading up and leave it behind instead of one more trip to the car though. It doesn't fit a rifle cart or a Pachmayr pistol box.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you everyone for your replys

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,997
Posts18,499,993
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.