Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Do you men have an old M-70 you've been staring at in your safes and have thought, I gotta get that thing out, get it zeroed and ready for a hunt?

Well, I did just that yesterday, my old 300 H&H had been wearing a receiver peep for a couple years now and shooting 220 Partitions, it was a fun experiment.

Went to the shop and installed the old Conetrol rings, bases and scope, bore sighted looking down the rear of the bore, and readied for the chronograph.

I've had a bag of new H&H brass and a pound of RL-25 for awhile now, I have little use for RL-25 in any other guns and wanted to develop a load with it for the 300 H&H, I loaded 72 grs of rl-25 under a 200 gr partition, in new WW brass sparked with a Fed-215, set c.o.l. at 3.585" and headed to the chrono, 2886 fps, went and loaded and fired another one, 2891, perfect, I can live with that.

Loaded up 10 rounds and went to the bench, set zero at 3" high at 100 yards and center, with barrel allowed to cool, three shots then went into .776"..........Ready for fall with renewed enthusiasm for an old friend of a rifle that's been there through thick and thin with me and has never let me down.

If you guys have an old favorite standing idly by and waiting, you may consider gassing it up and getting ready for some hunting this year, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of enjoyed satisfaction I got with this old rifle yesterday.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner a few sessions with a 300 H&H will tell us it's fully capable for about any task.

Some are faster, no doubt, but there's no flies on that old cartridge.

Interesting data on the RL25. Good powder.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice! I love the 300 H&H. Partly for nostalgic reasons, but it is really a fine round for long range. I don't personally own a shooter in .300 H&H, so mine lives out a sad life parked in the safe. However, I could see myself loving the .300 H&H for the kind of elk hunting we do up here in Washington - a hunt where you need to get a lot of energy on the target and shots range from 20 yards, out to as far as you are comfortable and competent shooting. Is your rifle a 26" barrel?

Personally, I keep coming back to the .30-06. My first model 70 was chambered in this round and I took my first animal with that rifle... so maybe it has even more nostalgic power over me! That first rifle of mine is now also parked in the safe, but I do most of my big game hunting with a pre-64 .30-06 -a Lilja barrel mated to the pre-64 action, set in a McMillan stock. I had it out last week just to keep in tune with it. I took it out of the case, rested it over a rotting cedar stump and shot just out of center, holding 8" over at 300 yards. Let's go hunting!

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's a killer of a load Gunner! 200 PT at nearly 2900...

Sounds like that rifle is ready to work..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Do you men have an old M-70 you've been staring at in your safes and have thought, I gotta get that thing out, get it zeroed and ready for a hunt?

Well, I did just that yesterday, my old 300 H&H had been wearing a receiver peep for a couple years now and shooting 220 Partitions, it was a fun experiment.

Went to the shop and installed the old Conetrol rings, bases and scope, bore sighted looking down the rear of the bore, and readied for the chronograph.

I've had a bag of new H&H brass and a pound of RL-25 for awhile now, I have little use for RL-25 in any other guns and wanted to develop a load with it for the 300 H&H, I loaded 72 grs of rl-25 under a 200 gr partition, in new WW brass sparked with a Fed-215, set c.o.l. at 3.585" and headed to the chrono, 2886 fps, went and loaded and fired another one, 2891, perfect, I can live with that.

Loaded up 10 rounds and went to the bench, set zero at 3" high at 100 yards and center, with barrel allowed to cool, three shots then went into .776"..........Ready for fall with renewed enthusiasm for an old friend of a rifle that's been there through thick and thin with me and has never let me down.

If you guys have an old favorite standing idly by and waiting, you may consider gassing it up and getting ready for some hunting this year, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of enjoyed satisfaction I got with this old rifle yesterday.

Sounds like me this morning with my m1917 30-06. That rifle is fairly new to me, but reminds me of my old sporterized m1917 that I grew up with, except it doesn't weigh 11 pounds!!! Fired 3 shots downrange to check zero. Bullet holes weren't touching, but still around 3/4". Plenty good for elk this season. I was also shooting the 200gr. Nosler partition. Blemished and a little slower than your 300 H&H, but I'll bet it will still get the job done quite handily...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Damn straight. That's where I used to run my 300 win mag. That's a stout load to say the least..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Gunner. Someday, I will get a 308 Norma magnum or 30-338.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is my "old rifle" I was talking about earlier. Still zeroed in from the Carl Ross positional match. These are the only shots I took with the rifle today:

[Linked Image]

Pretty much where I wanted it.

Here's how she did in the carl ross match a couple months ago:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd like to find a "magic" powder for this bullet that zings them out there faster than old and faithful IMR 4350 and still have good accuracy. Any suggestions gunner??? Thanks buddy..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I remember that someone once told be that no one takes a supergrade hunting. Well I took my 300 H&H this year and took a caribou at 250yard with a barnes X 200gr. It was sweet, just bang flop. Great thread, has to be in my top three favorite cartridges.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This is my "old rifle" I was talking about earlier. Still zeroed in from the Carl Ross positional match. These are the only shots I took with the rifle today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd like to find a "magic" powder for this bullet that zings them out there faster than old and faithful IMR 4350 and still have good accuracy. Any suggestions gunner??? Thanks buddy..

BSA, I'd look at RL26 if you can find some. A few of the buddies are running 200 Accubonds in their 30-06's and getting really good speeds (2600-2700) pretty easily. I'm sure there are others that will do the same or lose like H4831SC but RL26 is what I've seen with my own eyes. More dense than 25 and seems to really crank.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, and what sorta speeds are you getting with 4350?

I can't imagine that load letting you down. That's a hitter!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA, I'd look at RL26 if you can find some. A few of the buddies are running 200 Accubonds in their 30-06's and getting really good speeds (2600-2700) pretty easily. I'm sure there are others that will do the same or lose like H4831SC but RL26 is what I've seen with my own eyes. More dense than 25 and seems to really crank.

Thank you Scotty. I need to get some of that powder for my 270 anyway!!!!! laugh

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep it's a fine round alright, especially when matched up with the great old M70's. I'm happy to have 2 of them, one in it's old form and the other a bit modernized, wonderful combos for sure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Handwerk, those are both beauties. I remember shooting a pre 64 model 70 300 H&H rifle once. It was sweet man. Not as accurate as my 300 WSM, but still held its own for 5 shots. I remember it (the group) fell to pieces after 5 rounds down range.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BobinNH, you're exactly right on the Super 30, they're much faster, I used to run the 200 gr partition to 2900 fps with H-4831 powder in this very rifle, the near 2900 reached with the first load with RL-25 could indeed be pushed a bit further up the ladder w/rl-25 being a bit slower burning than H-4831, but like I believe we all agree.

29, 2950 or even 3000, I dont believe the game will care, and I myself can't hold steady enough afield to realize any drop/drift advantage of leaning on the old rifle for the last few fps possible, sure glad I outgrew that chit, my brass in all the rest of my rifles seems to last forever now. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
pre64win, I bet the safe queen is a real looker, I'm to retarded to relegate anything to queen status ;]..........they all get powder lit in em here.

Yessir, my rifle has a 26" barrel, according to the serial number it's a 1946 year model, it has had a pad added I concluded/learned from reading here, but that is okay with me.

The '06 would be tough to never not go back too, my old load of 200 gr partitions at 2700 is a real hellbender in the '06.

And yes, to the lets go hunting, I'll be telling a lot of work to kiss my tail this season,, getting time to dull hell outta a bunch of skinning knives.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Thanks Beretz, you know, stumbling upon near 2900 with rl-25 has to be less pressure than 2900 flat with h-4831, easier on the old steel maybe, but accuracy is still there, I must admit, no shortcuts were taken on this quick load workup, this rifle has fired ANY bullet AND powder combo to really good accuracy.

From 150 gr partitions to 200 gr A-Frames all the way to 220 gr partitions, if a man is lucky to have two rifles that will fire all bullets and powders accurately, he can consider himself blessed.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, good on you for going out and lighting a fire in your namesake grin, you damn right it will get it done, three touching under an inch evokes a whole higher level of confidence afield when the pressures on to close the deal.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Gunner. Someday, I will get a 308 Norma magnum or 30-338.

Thanks Buddy, did Winchester ever chamber any pre-64's in 308 NM?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
I remember that someone once told be that no one takes a supergrade hunting. Well I took my 300 H&H this year and took a caribou at 250yard with a barnes X 200gr. It was sweet, just bang flop. Great thread, has to be in my top three favorite cartridges.

LOL, that person must not have met me either grin, I even take my supergrade hornet for a stroll every now and then.

Nice shot on that caribou, and I'll eat my hat if you recovered that 200 gr X bullet, bet it sailed through with little meat damage, the 300 H&H most likely is my favorite cartridge in a bolt action rifle, I can't think of any other I like better.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.