-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have been a bus boy, soda jerk, truck driver on wheat harvest, college kid, but found love in the USAF as a metrologist... we didn't do weather. Specialized in peculiar stuff then retired to find the very best work yet, grandpa !!

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Started my own business mowing lawns at 14. During high school I worked 2 jobs during summers, one during school at night and still played football. I worked 2 jobs year round in college. I worked as a lifeguard 5 summers, worked in furniture factory, dairy, and as a meter reader 3 summers. I worked a couple of summers driving a tractor for a local soybean farmer and one with an electrical contractor. I've put in a lot of 16 hour days and more than a few 20 hour days.

Started teaching Industrial Arts and coaching HS football and soccer in 1980 after graduating college. I spent a few of those years coaching and teaching middle school, but mostly 9-12. IA was phased out and replaced by Technology ED in 1993 which I taught until I retired in 2010. With coaching there were a lot of 18-20 hour days and 70-100 hour weeks.

Since retiring I haul hay when needed during summers and work about 70-80 days a year as a substitute teacher to supplement the retirement, but mainly to keep busy. I still enjoy being around the kids, but don't have to put up with the administration BS when working as a sub.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Theater tech. Stagehand. Sf Opera and SF Ballet. Film ,television, rock &roll rigger.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Overeducated in Geology, Physics and Electrical Engineering. 20 years as a Naval Flight Officer/Electronics Countermeasures Officer. Now Chief Engineer for an FFRDC working in big data systems, antenna design, signal processing some IT and data center design and whatever else they throw at us. Trying to keep up with the really smart kids we hire!

In about 7 years retired and looking forward to it!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Retired naval aviator (21 years). Changed uniforms and am now a flight simulator instructor at NAS Meridian (23 years). It's hard to quit when you have students as motivated and bright as ours are.

Amen.

Chris
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by richardca99
I joined the Navy right out of high school, and I've been doing that for 28 years. Right now, I'm commanding a helicopter squadron in Jacksonville.

I'd like to make it about six more years, and then I'll collect retirement and hunt full time.

Congratulations!

Thank you much!

Chris
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Retired Gynocologist............though I supplemented my income working as a cabinetmaker and finish carpenter, as well as a remodeling contractor on traditional homes.

Now I stay home and play in my little shop on the lathe and mill making custom parts for classic cars. Working with metal is a good change from working with wood!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by MikeReilly
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Started out as a carpenter, then did several years in printing and graphic arts. Went from that to plumbing and HVAC. Now I have a couple plumbing licenses through the state and still do a little HVAC. I would prefer to be doing something else, but my wife expects me to bring home a steady paycheck, small though it may be.

The HVAC guys I know on Vancouver Island make over 100k a year, although they get a fair bit of overtime. Tried to convince my youngest son to get into it.

The average HVAC man or plumber might make half or a bit more than that here, with overtime. There's a local grocery store offering $11.50 an hour to start and the fast food restaurants are offering just under $10 an hour for certain shifts. A Master plumber is lucky to get just over double that around here.

Like I said, I do commercial refrigeration. In the Houston/ Beaumont, Texas area there's so much competition we're all getting well over $30 an hour with all the OT you want.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lngrng
...Working with metal is a good change from working with wood!

Indeed. I'm really enjoying it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In order of occurrence:

Spear fisherman
Roofer
Professional Air Cavalry bait/instructor pilot/bait/accident investigator/bait/instructor pilot/bait/slick driver
Treasure diver
ATC
Corporate pilot/commercial fisherman
ATC
Unemployed

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Retired residential and commercial contractor.Still do occasional technical eval assist for ground floor project developments.

Spend my leisure time teaching my grandchildren the ways of field and stream, enjoy shooting big holes in stuff with fiery brimstone belching big guns,occasional flying with a friend and taking care of long awaited honey do projects.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Assistant Resident Engineer with the NCDOT retired January 1st after 40 years and 4 months.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
34 years in the oilfield in the Gulf of Mexico. Started as a roustabout now supervise a floating production platform. Started young so I have a few more years to work. Plus it took 30 years to get to the inside job in the AC be a shame to stop now.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Machinist for the last forty years. Just doing that till I grow up. Still undecided what I"ll be then.

jimjr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I call myself a salesman, although my company may disagree at times. Been in the masonry/cement business for 20 years. The industry has been good to me, and I am trying to leave it in better shape than I found it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Retired from 32 years in the ARNG; currently a MILCON field rep - provide technical assistance and sell building materials on construction projects at Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg NC.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Today's activities included:

Find and repair a leak in a system and make the leak less than 103 kpa per cycle.

Repair a leak on a hydraulic systems compensator valve.

R & R a magnetic proximity switch on a pneumatic cylinder.

Troubleshoot a failed conveyor system and return to service.

Repair a lock and position sensor on a hydraulic actuator.

Troubleshoot a failed three phase motor.

Check PLC logic for a solution to an ongoing conveyor problem...

That was a fairly typical day....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Paper boy, farm worker, Cheese maker, concrete work, autopsy assistant, bar tender, fly fish guide, sales, artificial insemination, lab tech, roofing, then jumped out planes and shot at stuff in army, Russian translator, worked in refugee camps then last 25 years basically a baby sitter for dysfunctional adults( Leo )

Two years til retirement if I make it wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With all the varying professions and educations here on the "Fire" why haven't we been able to figure out how to legally get rid of the liberal communist vermin that infect this country.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Retired residential and commercial contractor.Still do occasional technical eval assist for ground floor project developments.

Spend my leisure time teaching my grandchildren the ways of field and stream, enjoy shooting big holes in stuff with fiery brimstone belching big guns,occasional flying with a friend and taking care of long awaited honey do projects.

You forgot to mention Great American Warrior sir. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.