Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin

The days of residential plumbers, HVAC installers and electricians making a good living at their trade are past, IMHO.

bruin, I have to respectfully disagree,

I know many people in the trades, who have a very good life, and are making good money,

Residentrial work will never be what it was for those 2-3 decades, but there's still good money to be made.

Work and the economy can be regional, I'm not sure I would want to try making a living as a residential Plumber in Rhinelander Wisconsin for example, simply isnt enough work, and no work means no demand for decent wages.

Wait a few years till your kids start thinking about college, which is where I'm at now,

25K a year for a public state school, undergraduate at that..100k in education to work where? Likely making about what the trades are making, or less.

There's fewer options nowadays, no doubt, But I would never dissuade anyone from getting a License in the Trades, I believe there will always be a demand for a skilled set of hands.

One thing about the trades, your skills are yours and you can take those skills anywhere you want to go.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
In order of occurrence:

Spear fisherman
Roofer
Professional Air Cavalry bait/instructor pilot/bait/accident investigator/bait/instructor pilot/bait/slick driver
Treasure diver
ATC
Corporate pilot/commercial fisherman
ATC
Unemployed

You sir, are one member that I aspire to meet.

You find yourself headed this way let me know. Dunno when I'm headed your way.

I forgot to mention my several decades of part time work as a nipple inspector.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How would I find you house in Yankeetown?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth

The days of residential plumbers, HVAC installers and electricians making a good living at their trade are past, IMHO.

I know many people in the trades, who have a very good life, and are making good money,

Residentrial work will never be what it was for those 2-3 decades, but there's still good money to be made.

Work and the economy can be regional, I'm not sure I would want to try making a living as a residential Plumber in Rhinelander Wisconsin for example, simply isnt enough work, and no work means no demand for decent wages.

Wait a few years till your kids start thinking about college, which is where I'm at now,

25K a year for a public state school, undergraduate at that..100k in education to work where? Likely making about what the trades are making, or less.

There's fewer options nowadays, no doubt, But I would never dissuade anyone from getting a License in the Trades, I believe there will always be a demand for a skilled set of hands.

One thing about the trades, your skills are yours and you can take those skills anywhere you want to go.

While I was in the Navy - I could have gotten an AA degree in Serbian and Croatian Studies for free - I didn't.

Once I got out - I put my post 9/11 GI bill to work.

I got my Bachelors in 2 years. Busted my arse with 24 credits a semester. The school would cut my tuition to the max the GI Bill would pay per year so I sorta double dipped there. Had I been a trad undergrad that did 4 years - it was 110,000 in tuition.

I now have enough left over to get an AA or MBA yet. I'm looking at AA in software development (not even sure I will use it - more for me - I like to learn and it's a benefit that would just waste away). That's 11,900 at the local trade school.

I could also then use the WI GI Bill which pays for 48 months of school tuition at any state school. Conceivably that's an MBA at UW-Oshkosh at a mimimum, perhaps 2 if you hustled but not likely.

So basically for a 4 year hitch I got 149,000 in tuition alone from my service. A person just might end up with an AA, a bachelors and an MBA completely debt free.

Me

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Son-in-law is a certified, union, pipeline welder. By the time you add up his base pay, OT, plus "rent" on his weld rig, he is making as much money as I have ever made in IT. I would have no qualms about pursuing that career path if I were just starting out again. Just gotta be willing to work and put in your time as a laborer/helper until you can get into a welder slot. Nothing wrong with working a trade...

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by teal

While I was in the Navy - I could have gotten an AA degree in Serbian and Croatian Studies for free - I didn't.

I got my Bachelors in 2 years. Busted my arse with 24 credits a semester. The school would cut my tuition to the max the GI Bill would pay per year so I sorta double dipped there. Had I been a trad undergrad that did 4 years - it was 110,000 in tuition.

I now have enough left over to get an AA or MBA yet. I'm looking at AA in software development (not even sure I will use it - more for me - I like to learn and it's a benefit that would just waste away). That's 11,900 at the local trade school.

I could also then use the WI GI Bill which pays for 48 months of school tuition at any state school. Conceivably that's an MBA at UW-Oshkosh at a mimimum, perhaps 2 if you hustled but not likely.

So basically for a 4 year hitch I got 149,000 in tuition alone from my service. A person just might end up with an AA, a bachelors and an MBA completely debt free.

yeah, it's pretty much a military certainty that it can be done. but don't wait, get that MBA while it beckons. don't go backwards. time doesn't work that way.

the GI Bill is worth it's weight in gold.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gus - you'd be surprised at how many guys at Meps were turning it down. All because you had to put 100 a month into the program the first year. Nothing after.

1200 2002 dollars is gonna net me 150k in 2016 dollars worth of education.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My son wants to be a welder. It's all he talks about and does in his HS shop class. His teacher used to work the shipyard and has said his quality and understanding is of someone who could teach the course in stick weld, his MIG needs work.

Long story short - he's most likely going to end up with a welding cert and likely a military hitch.

I couldn't be prouder of him for that.

Me

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gus - you'd be surprised at how many guys at Meps were turning it down. All because you had to put 100 a month into the program the first year. Nothing after.

gi bill education benefits are probably worth more than the advertising mentions or alludes to. it takes some personal effort, but that best personal effort helps describe a successful MBA graduate. that's part of their identity. ya know?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well, I'd head SE from Iowa for a start. When you get here, rent a boat and ask for directions to Bennett Creek. There's a 14' lizard lives there can give directions to the house. Don't argue with her.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
when I worked for a living I was a Journeyman Toolmaker, went on to be a manager over a R&D dept. for manufacturing processes developing equipment and now until retirement is here a project manager that oversees the Skilled Trades Apprenticeship program, Journeyman program and skills development education, handles surplus assets, and adds production capability to our USA and China locations. All for a small Fortune 500 company. Oh by the way for myself I raise a little livestock and build a few rifles. Russ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Teal, you seem to have one problem, and I'm not sure it will ever go away, you just simply don't know what you want to do when you grow up.

Honestly, that's not a cool situation for most.

Figure it out soon bud, Don't let to many doors close behind you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm learning for the sake of learning, not flopping from career to career.

The benefit is there - I earned it, would be foolish not to take advantage. It hurts nothing to have it, don't even have to put it on a resume if I don't want to.

I had programming classes in high school, did a little for fun after. My mother was a programmer (retired last Feb) - I'm getting the AA for giggles - not for work.

Someday when I get my homebrewery up and done - I'd like to do some work with automating it via touch screen and incorporate some software I already have for brewing.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Well along came the Post-9/11 GI Bill and all those guys that turned downt the Montgomery GI Bill now qualify for better benefits and samed some coin as well (pos-9/11 is free).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put it this way - if I won 200 million in the lottery tomorrow - I'd never work another day in my life but I'd be a professional student. Learning for the sake of learning.

Prob die with 20 degrees...

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Put it this way - if I won 200 million in the lottery tomorrow - I'd never work another day in my life but I'd be a professional student. Learning for the sake of learning.

would rather die with a 20 gauge in hand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well, I'd head SE from Iowa for a start. When you get here, rent a boat and ask for directions to Bennett Creek. There's a 14' lizard lives there can give directions to the house. Don't argue with her.

Well, as you might suspect, I had the general heading right but didn't figure on negotiating with any really big lizards.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Orthopedic X-ray tech

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmillo
Orthopedic X-ray tech

Have a friend going through school right now to be a radiologist of some sort. He loves it.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd behave similarly, except I'd probably have no degrees, but would treat myself to bits and pieces of classical education as well as certain skills such as learning how to weld other than stick method and such.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 831 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.