B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image]

No offense, but I'd have taken you for a city slicker that had too much money...until I saw how you had those squirrels strung. smile
on a stick, ya baby

GB4

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot the vermin tree rats off my bird feeder, I guess you can say I hunt them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The cutting thru tail, splitting hide a little ways on both sides and standing on tail and pulling squirrel up/ then pulling pair of pants is the best way to skin as stated earlier. When you get good you can skin with no hair on meat. You can also skin this way having someone hold by back legs. You can also roll in car or truck window and pull that way.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Freaking squirrels!!

Over 10 years we've yet to harvest a single apple, peach, grape, cherry, pear and various other garden items thanks to squirrels. I started my war on the bastids but it did no good. They simply replaced themselves as quick as I took them out. Then the women in the family campaigned against the kill so all was lost. Thinking the baby tree rat shot did me in. eek

Over the years they've eaten the above ground sprinkler system, Christmas lights and the plastic flag holders.

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit. They know exactly what they're doing.

F em!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've hunted them since old enough to follow my father thru the woods. My children hunt with me now. Problem is, they squirrels are so acorn crop dependent here that not every year is worth chasing them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Freaking squirrels!!

Over 10 years we've yet to harvest a single apple, peach, grape, cherry, pear and various other garden items thanks to squirrels. I started my war on the bastids but it did no good. They simply replaced themselves as quick as I took them out. Then the women in the family campaigned against the kill so all was lost. Thinking the baby tree rat shot did me in. eek

Over the years they've eaten the above ground sprinkler system, Christmas lights and the plastic flag holders.

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit. They know exactly what they're doing.

F em!

After the camp "birdfeeder incident" my wife has declared them the A-holes of the animal kingdom and condones me eliminating them. grin The fact she likes squirrel pot pie is a bonus.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Is your real ID Big Mortie?
Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

Bwahahaha...that handle is a blast from the past. He loved hunting "squill" with his Marlin .45-70. Pages and pages of illiterate drivel about how accurate his .45-70 was and how it was the best "squill" gun ever.

Not sure who the troll or prankster was but it was a relatively short-lived handle...had a few good chuckles at him though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Squirrel hunting is my passion in Sept

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2 weeks to go here. Going with a single shot Remington 514 from my boyhood this year.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I shoot the vermin tree rats off my bird feeder, I guess you can say I hunt them.
you need to eat more squirrel's thru the year. I love to watch them all year long and have about 2500 acres of timber around my little patch of ground

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was just thinking today that my next range trip should include checking the sights on the 22. Squirrel season opens in mid Oct.

Dale

This space for rent

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been hunting squirrels for 40+ years in GA. This will be my first year hunting with a suppressed .22. I have a new Savage MKII compact with a suppressor and the CCI standards are grouping well inside minute squirrel noggin.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No offense, but I'd have taken you for a city slicker that had too much money...until I saw how you had those squirrels strung. smile

nah, i pretty much grew up in the woods, with a .22 in one hand and a fishin pole in the other.... i'm still about half feral, but i can almost pass for civilized, until some asks the best way to skin something.

Stick selection is pretty important, after you get 6 or 7 of them on there, stick wants to bend some... wink

[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Is your real ID Big Mortie?
Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

Bwahahaha...that handle is a blast from the past. He loved hunting "squill" with his Marlin .45-70. Pages and pages of illiterate drivel about how accurate his .45-70 was and how it was the best "squill" gun ever.

Not sure who the troll or prankster was but it was a relatively short-lived handle...had a few good chuckles at him though.
You gotta admire a guy that throws flying ashtrays at tree rats out of a 45-70.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I learned something from the posting. Use the pickup window to clamp the tail. The grandson will think I am the smartest guy alive. And thanks.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
Freaking squirrels!!

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit.

F em!

David, that's how they do my Roma tomatoes.

I give them no quarter. F with my romas.. you're done.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Squirrel hunting is my favorite activity. I kill a bunch with a Ruger 10/22, Mannlicher stocked rifle. CCI Mini Mags and a 4X Scope.
My "Old Reliable" squirrel rifle is a 1930s manufacture Remington bolt target rifle. With the same CCI Mini Mags, and a 3-9 Scope, it's an honest 75 yard killer.
Newest one is a 1970 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. 2-7X Leupold and CCI Mini Mags. It is becoming every busy tail's bete noire. smile

Sam, I have a Ruger 10/22 stainless with a full mannlicher stock as well. It was my fathers.....

Last edited by frogman43; 08/23/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's some pics of the last 4 seasons, and the different rimfires I use.

[Linked Image]

My Marlin 39a with a scope on it. Since then, I took the scope off and put a receiver sight on the ole girl. I've owned that rifle since 1975.

[Linked Image]

My H&R Sportster single shot.22 with a camo job done to it. I've used it a lot in the last 3-4 yrs. I did a DG hunt in Zimbabwe back in 2011 with a single shot rifle, so using a single shot for squirrel hunting was a natural progression. grin

[Linked Image]

Got it in my head, a few yrs. ago that I wanted to use iron sights again[at 60 yrs.+]. So I bought a 10/22 and put a williams firesight peep on it. The pic above is the first limb chicken I killed with it, and a head shot to boot. grin

[Linked Image]

Lastly, I bought another 10/22, modified it with a BX trigger and put a 3-9x rimfire scope on board, and thats what I'm using, primarily this season.

maddog

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Reading through the thread, I saw where guys are looking for some good recipes. Here is a great one, and a good way to use up old squirrels.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

Also some additional food pics.......

[Linked Image]

Traditional fried.

[Linked Image]

with gravy....

[Linked Image]

squirrel pot pie.

[Linked Image]

with cornbread.....

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike...it may be time to re-post your Limb Chicken Chowder.

Absolutely the best soup of any kind Ive ever eaten.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,937
Posts18,480,016
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.