-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll tell ya' what, Bob,...that cancion' is best sung / played well north of Jalisco.

Damn near got lynched down there one night, playin' that on a boom box....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of Tom Mix:
(And no mention of Pancho Villa)

On the day he died, October 12, 1940, Mix was driving north from Tucson (after a liquid lunch in a roadhouse) in his beloved bright-yellow Cord Phaeton sports car. He was driving so fast that he didn’t notice–or failed to heed–signs warning that one of the bridges was out on the road ahead. The Phaeton swung into a gully and Mix was smacked in the back of the head by one of the heavy aluminum suitcases he was carrying in the convertible’s backseat. The impact broke the actor’s neck and he died almost instantly. Today, the dented “Suitcase of Death” is the featured attraction at the Tom Mix Museum in Dewey, Oklahoma.

And this:
On October 12, 1940, cowboy-movie star Tom Mix is killed when he loses control of his speeding Cord Phaeton convertible and rolls into a dry wash (now called the Tom Mix Wash) near Florence, Arizona. He was 60 years old. Today, visitors to the site of the accident can see a 2-foot–tall iron statue of a riderless horse and a somewhat awkwardly written plaque that reads: “In memory of Tom Mix whose spirit left his body on this spot and whose characterization and portrayals in life served to better fix memories of the Old West in the minds of living men.”

According to Mix’s press agent, the star was a genuine cowboy and swaggering hero of the Wild West: He was born in Texas; fought in the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion and the Boer War; and served as a sheriff in Kansas, a U.S. marshal in Oklahoma and a Texas Ranger. In fact, Mix was born in Driftwood, Pennsylvania; deserted the Army in 1902; and was a drum major in the Oklahoma Territorial Cavalry band when he went off to Hollywood in 1909.

None of these inconvenient facts prevented Mix from becoming one of the greatest silent-film stars in history, however. Along with his famous horse Tony, Mix made 370 full-length Westerns. At the peak of his fame, he was the highest-paid actor in Hollywood, earning as much as $17,500 a week (about $218,000 today). Unfortunately, Mix and Tony had a hard time making the transition to talking pictures. Some people say that the actor’s voice was so high-pitched that it undermined his macho cowboy image, but others argue that sound films simply had too much talking for Mix’s taste: He preferred wild action sequences to heartfelt conversation.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What I think is rather remarkable is filmmaker/ director D. W. Griffith (the Birth Of A Nation director) went to Mexico TWICE and made films with Pancho Villa starring as himself! Once in 1912 and again in 1914! Directed the first one. Was a producer on the second.

Remember the revolution and later civil war was in full swing at these times!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/24/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greg! Well north of Jalisco? I imagine so!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sir Frederick Russel Burnham, D.S.O. had a few dry, and somewhat pertinent comments regarding Mix's "service" in the Boer War.

Ever the gentleman, he kept it pretty light, and cut Mix LOTS of slack.

Anybody that hasn't read his "Scouting on Two Continents", SHOULD .

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham

This guy was FOR REAL

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One translation of that .30WCF ditty

The 30/30 carbine
Carried by the rebels
According to the Maderistas
Did not really kill

I'm off to battle with my 30/30
I entered the rebel ranks
If it's blood they ask for, blood I'll give them
For the people of our nation

Fransico Villa cried out
Where are you Argumedo?
Come and stand up in front
You, who are never afraid

We've headed for Chihuahua
Your Indian saint is leaving town
If they kill me in the war
Go and mourn me on hallowed ground

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The assault weapon of the day - and not too shabby of a choice today!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Sir Frederick Russel Burnham, D.S.O. had a few dry, and somewhat pertinent comments regarding Mix's "service" in the Boer War.

Ever the gentleman, he kept it pretty light, and cut Mix LOTS of slack.

Anybody that hasn't read his "Scouting on Two Continents", SHOULD .

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham

This guy was FOR REAL

GTC

I got half way thru it before everything turned to caca at our house! I just need to start it over!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/24/16.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

great link, thanks for that!

especialmmente, "la carabina 30-30"

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Greg! Well north of Jalisco? I imagine so!!!

Villa was no hero with coastal villagers in Jalisco some years back.
....seems like the further South I went, the more lionization of Zapata, and Caranza.

I gave up trying to study the Mexican Revolution's history, out of sheer frustration and historical confusion attendant,...it damned sure didn't work.

GTC

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok. Y'all start hating on me! But of the songs that came out of theMexican Revolution this is my fav! Adelita. You hear it played in every movie that has anything to do with Pancho Villa, The Wild Bunch, whatever. It's in every movie!
This is a decent version.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greg,

It is extremely confusing. Probably the best they could have hoped for was the survival of Francisco Madero. But being an honorable man he fell prey to those Generals (Huerta) who had him offed.

Carranza was all for the Plan of San Diego until Wilson recognized him as the Defacto prez of Mexico. This after he (Wilson) had been communicating with Villa. Villa felt he had been betrayed.

Zapata was the original Che Guevera! Basically a Bolshie.

Thing went to caca again pretty quick.

They all ended up assassinated Huerta, Obregon, Carranza, Zapata, and Villa.
When Plutarch Cardenas came along he basically declared war on the Catholic Church. I thin he finally made it out of Mexico and exiled himself to San Antonio as a "political refugee".

Whew. About the best I can do on a very complex subject.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
crossfire;
Good evening to you sir, I'm just off to try to sleep again so I'll be uncharacteristically brief.

If you've not read "Taking Chances" by FR Burnman it's a grand read too.

After looking for the books unsuccessfully for years I lucked into two new reprints in the local used book store for something under $20 each.

Anyway sir, have a good night, all the best to you and do stay safe down there in Burnnam's old stomping grounds.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last ephemeral PILLAR of desperate and deluded belief that the Mex. "revolution" was in any way successful crashed and burned not all that long ago, with the Federale legislated "retirement" of the Ejido system.

Read you 5 x 5 on Zapata,...crap, there have to be at LEAST 100 ejidos named after him...and I think I've been in at least half of em'.

Figuring out what's gone down over the last 25-30 years down there is going to make the forgoing look like a cakewalk.

GTC

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i had a guy tell me one time that when villa retreated south from aqua prieta, he left a dead mexican swinging in the breeze from every telephone pole south for 100miles.
I asked a mexican friend how his family got here. His father was prospecting just south of the border, unarmed, when villa's men started shooting at him, he hid in a arroyo. Figuring he was gonna die anyway he stood up and called them a bunch of chicken sh8t son's of bit8hes for shooting at an unarmed man. They were so impressed with his bravery they stopped shooting and let him go. He left for arizona the next day.
those little songs remind me of too much tequila once upon a time years ago when one is too young to know better.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
crossfire;
Good evening to you sir, I'm just off to try to sleep again so I'll be uncharacteristically brief.

If you've not read "Taking Chances" by FR Burnman it's a grand read too.

After looking for the books unsuccessfully for years I lucked into two new reprints in the local used book store for something under $20 each.

Anyway sir, have a good night, all the best to you and do stay safe down there in Burnnam's old stomping grounds.

Dwayne

Hey Dwayne !

I've got a .45-90 sitting in my safe that MAY have been fired at Burnham, by a notorious Tewksbury "Sheep Herder".

all best regards, Hoser,

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have not read Scouting on Two Continents. I read about it IIRC, in the first Guns and Ammo I ever got, when Mom subscribed to it for me in high school. There was an article about Burnham in it. Had to have been 1978.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always loved seeing the old westerns that showed a Mexican carrying a Winchester, usually an 1892 model, with a bandolier of 45-70, 7X57, or 30-06 cartridges strung across his chest. I always figured he was just carrying his buddy's ammo for him.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
. . .

There is no proof whatsoever that Tom Mix "road" with Pancho Villa.

This is not a factual statement. Not sure why you made it.

There are several books that mention Mix' role as a volunteer for Pancho Villa. They include:

Revolution! Mexico 1910-1920 by Ronald Adkins (John Day, New York, 1970);

Cock of the Walk; The Legend of Poncho Villa by Haldeen Braddy (University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, 1955);

Pancho Villa's Shadow by Ernest Otto Schuster (Exposition Press, New York, 1947);

Twenty Episodes in the Life of Pancho Villa by Elias L. Torres, the man who arranged Villa's retirement for Adolfo de la Huerta. Torres' memoir, based on his conversations with Villa, was first published in 1931. (The Encina Press, Austin, 1973)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
6.5 x 55 Italian Carcano because Poncho was the shooter on the Grassy Knoll

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.