Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For damn sure somebody just got their ass blacked. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to everybody for the history/book references on Pancho Villa. This place is a living repository of esoteric/arcane knowledge of men and arms.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it true that Villa was killed by the Frito Bandito in a turf war?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well, as far as tom mix being in hollywood all those years, not so much. mix had a ranch on the today outskirts of prescott, a now housing development called yavapai estates. Their clubhouse is his old barn. He did a lot of filming in williamson valley near prescott. The old ranch has a little creek on it, perfect place to park when you are a teenager with a young lady. I saw God more than once there. He was a real cowboy tho. The road down from florence to oracle/tucson is the "tom mix" highway. Has a big sign where he augered in than gets stolen, i don't know if they put another one up. i always could kind of understand how he kilt himself on that road. large part of it is pretty straight and you can just zoom on it. Prior to the freeway being built we use to run it on our alcohol trips to mexico as teenagers.
There is an old hotel in douglas/aqua prieta, i think maybe called the gadsten. Been there since territorial days with a really good bar. Marble steps leading up to the second floor with a part of the steps being roped off, being chipped. As the story goes when villa took aqua prieta he got drunk in the bar and tried to ride his horse up those steps to the second floor. Maybe so, maybe not.
as greg knows, lot of years passed since those days, but in some ways it ain't changed much, particularly after dark. I was down in that area some years ago chasing san hill crane at about 4am in the morning. Left my damn hand gun in the truck. Never do that again. It was innocent, but i had a guy come up out of the black wanting to know what i was doing there, scared the tiddliwinks out of me that close to the border.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/25/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Most displayed exceptional wink frontier gunsmithing (ahem) repairs! smile Some were so damn ugly they were cool!
As great as the M94 is, it was never a military arm, and as such it's not built like a military arm. But isn't that what's appealing. Rather than large, thick, heavy, and awkward, the M94 is slim, light, and dynamic. But unfortunately, that doesn't hold up well in a military style campaign.

I guess the canadian military didn't read that, accepting them for service in certain capacities during WWII.
In very small, limited roles. And the M1 Carbine would have been a MUCH better choice. BTW, there were some US intelligence assets that used the M94 as well. That doesn't make it a military rifle.

It was fine for special purposes, but you can't expect to take a M94 SRC and drag it through 2-3 years of front line service, and have it hold up.

Last edited by GunGeek; 08/26/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope ya'll are paying attention,....

THANK YOU for your wisdom and council, oh wisest of the wise !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC
Okay then, make your case. Tell me how the M94 is a military rifle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Was he gay? Then it would be the .270

grin

Just an example of how the progressive element has stolen a word from the King's English.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do tell which other WWII military rifles use very thin two piece stocks. Dovetialed in rear sights with no protection. Thin, unprotected front sights. ½ exposed thin tubular magazines (or any tubular magazines for that matter). An exposed hammer. These all sound like highly desirable features for a battle rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC
Okay then, make your case. Tell me how the M94 is a military rifle.

Yo, Kevin,relax....

A.) WTF did ANY of us say it was a "Military Rifle" ?

Thanks for the inspired lecture, regardless.

...and Semper Geeking,

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do tell which other WWII military rifles use very thin two piece stocks. Dovetialed in rear sights with no protection. Thin, unprotected front sights. ½ exposed thin tubular magazines (or any tubular magazines for that matter). An exposed hammer. These all sound like highly desirable features for a battle rifle.

UHhhhhh,....we're fighting WW2 now ?

Man, this is just some oddball, completely off the wall segue in progress here.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems to me that in 1894 the Model '94 was pretty much state-of-the-art. And a leap ahead of what a lot of the world was still carrying.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely, PARTICULARLY when you factor in the fact that the men handling them had cut their teeth on bows and arrows, shepherd's slings, and worn out muzzle loading rubble that had ridden with Santa Ana.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
It seems to me that in 1894 the Model '94 was pretty much state-of-the-art. And a leap ahead of what a lot of the world was still carrying.
So my actual point seems to have been lost thanks to crossfire-azzhat.

I never said the M94 wasn't desirable for certain jobs. What I said was it wasn't built to be a front line military rifle, and it certainly wasn't.

The mention of M94's being used in WWII is what prompted me to compare it to other WWII weapons...but you could make the same comparison to WWI or previous weapons. The design of the M94 is ideal as a sporting weapon, or general utility rifle. But those features are NOT appropriate for something that's going to serve in battlefield after battlefield, and drug around by poorly trained, often conscripted troops days on end, for years of battle. The M94 is just not going to hold up to that, because of the features I mentioned previously.

So it's NOT what any military would consider a military rifle. That doesn't mean that what it has to offer isn't desirable in certain military settings.

And the reason I mentioned that, was because someone brought up the condition of many of the M94's used in those campaigns, and the poor quality of the repairs. So I'm not sure how my comments were so inappropriate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not sure how my comments were so inappropriate.

You can sure sling it,....even to the point of calling a little friendly and very LIGHT jibes "Azzhat"

....while in the same hour , posting in almost disgustingly apelike vein.....

Wow, that's earth shattering news. Until that news article came out, I could never figure that one out for myself.

You're pretty damn clueless on more than a few levels.

Us poor uninformed masses, honored by YOUR "earth shattering news"
remain humbled and honored to be blessed with your cutting edge, and never one meniscus off center bubble rantings, Gibson Girl.

Back to the REAL issue,...who's the goddam fool that didn't issue M1 Carbines to VILLA ?

GTC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The original topic of this thread was pretty interesting ,
To me at least .

Gonna get those pics this weekend I think

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd very much like to see em', and share some pics of the repairs to the arms involved,....ranging from the Stone Age primitive, into some REAL artisan grade work.

Apologies for getting a little impatient at being unceasingly lectured about the virtues of the M1 carbine
....versus everything starting with David's sling forward.

Hint: We KNOW , Kevin,....as L Welk said, wunnerful, wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,wunnerful,

Suggesting that turn bolt Springfield '03s or ' 06s were common Mexican arms during that period, or that ammo for them was AVAILABLE is just more of the stupid stuff that somebody READ somewhere, and believed. Believe me, it was NOT the actual case.

Didactically lecturing a small group of seasoned Border Arms cats that have probably repaired more tang busted '73s, '76s, '86s, '92s, and '94s,(and done that well) about the "technical design problems" of the arm is the behavior of a REAL "azzhat".

Que' Viva, la carabinas !

GTC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmd025
The original topic of this thread was pretty interesting ,
To me at least .

Ya, to me too. Blown away by the breath of knowledge around these boards.

I've read stories of lots of old treinta y trientas down in Mexico in distant decades past, so much so that ammo for the same was practically currency. Weren't they a standard up in the Alaskan bush too?

I'm wondering now what usually failed on em, seems like the design weren't all that tight mechanically to begin with.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Zero in on "Tang Busted", Mike. Wrist of the stocks,...upper tangs, lower trigger / lever plates

....pretty much covers the more common historical wrecks, encountered.
Horses rolling on rifles left in scabbards, one of the MAIN avenues of approach. Savvy cats tied, hobbled, or ground reined their horses AFTER pulling their rifles off,....out of the scabbard. Anybody with one lick of common sense will do the same, today.

...once the Mauser armed Federales started grabbing ANYTHING that they seized and publicly smashing it on a hitching post, anvil,...whatever was handy in front of locals , while the body of the fellow it had been taken off of was still cooling, ...all bets are of as to just how many of these failures / damages actually occurred in "the field".

I'm still losing sleep over what would have transpired had old Kalashnikov gotten involved. eek

Any IDIOT, well enough connected to even DREAM acquiring, or running .30 caliber ".gov" ammo into Mexico was not going to get any sorta' "Trial"

.45-70 was scarce as hen's teeth too,....and it's distribution weighted with the same no nonsense penalties.

GTC

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
seems like i remember the 94 being used pretty commonly further south too, like in argentina.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.