Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
How many of you all hunt for free, I have a lease In east Texas that's 800.00 and a lease in west Texas that's 2000.00, Dove hunting is 50.00 a day. Do any of you get to hunt for free? There is very little free hunting in Texas unless you hunt on family or friend land. Is there free hunting in other states?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come on man what are you trolling for this early Friday morning.

You want all the western guys out saying how they have all this welfare hunting out west?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I can walk out my back door and have at least 3 sq. miles of free hunting. In this little patch, there are deer, bear, moose, partridge, snowshoe hare, geese, ducks, fox, coyote and now turkey. I can walk out my side door, go 300 yards, and fish for native wild brook trout up to 4 pounds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is about 4 million acres of public hunting opportunity in Pa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
Right there with you Pat. I can walk out the door of our camp and shoot a deer between the cabin and the outhouse. Deer cross that close to us. Virtually the entire mountain we're on (Boone Mountain in Clearfield County) is State Forest Land. Even in the area of northeast Ohio that I'm from we had no trouble finding spots to hunt that we didn't have to lease.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunting in Texas is sort of a rich mans game, and getting worse.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I guess I will take the bait.

Yes, there is "free" hunting in most all other states, but you have to share.

The general seasons are getting stupid crowdd though for deer and elk hunting. Every bend and wide spot in the road had 35+ foot campers parked.

Hiking and willingness to be in bad weather does allow one to find solitude though. Eastman and monstermulies, etc. has really ruined some areas though...like the Wyoming range. There's folks everywhere during the Sep 15 rifle deer hunts...even way in the back country.

Other hunts and seasons such as pheasant/chucker and winter time coyote hunting finds me alone for days on end, even on public land.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Pat85
Right there with you Pat. I can walk out the door of our camp and shoot a deer between the cabin and the outhouse. Deer cross that close to us. Virtually the entire mountain we're on (Boone Mountain in Clearfield County) is State Forest Land. Even in the area of northeast Ohio that I'm from we had no trouble finding spots to hunt that we didn't have to lease.

If a hunter can learn preferred food sources and basic good deer habitat they can be very successful hunting public land in Pa.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's the reason I don't hunt Texas very much. For $2000, I can hunt moose in Alaska, hunt some monster mule deer in Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, or Colorado when I can get a draw. I've got a little advantage in this because during my working career, I was either a resident of these western states or my job caused me to work in remote places in them.

The exorbitant lease fees in TX, l think are a result of Maw Richard's head of the TP&W. I can't remember her name, but she was not pro-hunting, and promoted land owners charging high fees. Kind of like raising the price on cigarettes to reduce smoking. Course that did stop a lot of people from hunting, fewer kids getting to hunt and now kids that don't have any hunting traditions in thier families. Her plan is working. I guarantee I will never pay $10000 for one of those farm raised whitetails in South Tx.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a hunt club thats 2500acres in va. that cost me 300.00 per year ,650acres that i hunt free and another small 20 acre track next to my house that i hunt free.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hunt public land and also have a 600 acre lease.

The lease offers us legal benefits that do not come with public hunting. I see benefits in both systems

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If you pay a lease you are just promoting pay-for-hunting. Stop it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gitem 12

The lease offers us legal benefits that do not come with public hunting. I see benefits in both systems

"legal benefits"? I hunt public land in Pa and I'm not sure what you mean?

Last edited by coat4gun; 08/25/16.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
both

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
After years of over crowded public hunting I, joined a few leases over 30+ years but that did not suit me either. So I bought 35 acres on a mountain stream here in SW Arkansas. Best investment I ever made.
My only problem now is the deer and critters eat as well as I do out of my gardens and orchard.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
There is an awful lot of public hunting land in Florida. A lot. State run WMAs, several National Forests, and State Forests.
There are also a lot of hunters, and on public lands, it is always a crowded, dangerous mess.
I have spent much of my life hunting public land. I have been pretty successful as well. It is always a hassle, with quotas on the number of hunters allowed, times and dates, reporting issues.
This year, I will be hunting on land my son bought. Not a lot of acres, but there won't be anyone else there. There are several other farms in the area I can, and do hunt.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt public land in my adopted home state for “free” using less expensive resident licenses, but the money I have left on the table for the privilege of living here is multiples of what it would cost to pay for leases in Texas. Also, as T_Inman indicated, it is stupid crowded during the short gun seasons for big game. (I bowhunt to avoid crowds and to hunt the elk rut). I am satisfied with the tradeoffs that I have made. Life is about choices.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by coat4gun

Can you till up public land, or build permanent stands on public land?
Can you clear trails and manage habitat on public land?

We also flood some of the crop land and timber...all per the lease agreement because the landowner understands that habitat improvement makes his land more valuable.

Are you allowed to do any of that on public ground in pa?

I can on my lease per the written lease agreement. We also have it in the lease that once the crops are off the farmer who works the ground cannot be on the property until it's time to work the ground again

Last edited by gitem_12; 08/25/16.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My part of Arkansas is mostly pay unless you own land as I do. There is free hunting through the G&F, but you have to draw for it except for bow hunting. There is also National Forrest in the West part of the state that is free, but I have never hunted there. I remember when it was all free, then the timber companies started leasing, and it snowballed. We also have a lot more hunters than there were then. When I was young, you seldom saw a posted sign, and could hunt almost anywhere you wanted. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by coat4gun

Can you till up public land, or build permanent stands on public land?
Can you clear trails and manage habitat on public land?

We also flood some of the crop land and timber...all per the lease agreement because the landowner understands that habitat improvement makes his land more valuable.

Are you allowed to do any of that on public ground in pa?

I can on my lease per the written lease agreement. We also have it in the lease that once the crops are off the farmer who works the ground cannot be on the property until it's time to work the ground again

Ok, I see what you mean. There are definitely advantages to leasing. I just didn't know what you meant by "legal benefits"

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.