Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got a couple of my debit and credit cards replaced with the chip style cards. I was thinking about getting one of those RFID wallets that supposedly block people from scanning the chips when they are within a few feet of you.

I see those "as seen on TV" products in the stores but things in that category are usually junk quality. Does anyone have an RFID wallet that they like and can you give a link to Amazon or wherever you found the thing?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm using my regular wallet and putting the cards into "pockets" that are RFID blocking. I resisted the RFID cards as long as possible and asked my bank not to make the switch but I was ignored.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Wife got us some credit card rfid cards to put in our wallets..since we have not been hacked....guess they work???

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
FWIW - Consumer Reports http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...t-card-fraud/rfid-credit-cards/index.htm

Mixed results for shields

Shields or wallets marketed as RFID-blocking devices can make it more difficult for someone with an electronic reader to read your cards, but they don’t entirely block transmission of card data. When Recursion’s security experts tested 10 types of shields and wallets currently being sold to protect contactless cards, they found that none blocked the signal completely, and there was dramatic variability even among samples of the same brand. Using a different approach, Recursion’s experts created a credit-card-sized jamming device for the wallet that prevents cards from responding to any reader.

Our reporter offered her own homemade shield constructed of duct tape and lined with aluminium foil. It provided better protection than eight of the 10 commercial products, including a stainless-steel “RFID blocking” wallet selling online for about $60.

Bottom line

Until contactless-card security is improved or better protective devices are widely available, consumers can ask for cards that are not RFID-enabled, a request that at least some major card issuers say they will honor.

Last edited by joken2; 08/26/16.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was also considering a regular wallet and using the "sleeves" as a couple have mentioned. I have an electronic ID card in my wallet for getting into secured areas and would like that to still work without having to constantly take it out multiple times a day. It's nice to be able to just slap the whole wallet up to the ID receiver. I assume the wallets that secure the entire wallet would also keep my electronic ID from working too.

To me, having a sleeve that completed covers the actual card may be inconvenient when it's time to pull out the CC for use in a store but would also probably provide the best shielding of the chip too. So that may be a good compromise for me between the convenience of building access with my ID card and providing security for my credit cards.

Joken, did you notice if in the study they reviewed those credit card sleeves in addition to the products that claim to be wallet-wide security?

MOLON LABE
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That article was from June 2011. I wonder how much of that info has changed now?

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I didn't see where they named any one product. They talked about the stainless steel wallet but didn't mention the brand. Only that it was available on Amazon.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to keep my access card in my wallet as well. I loved the fact that if I had my hands full I could just back up to the reader and it would unlock the door. Then the company mandated we were the id around our necks. We protested because we worked around rotating machinery but were overruled. Stupid administrators.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tin/aluminum foil on both sides of the card holders?

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yes

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at some of the reviews on Amazon, people complained that the ones I posted a picture of above were paper with some foil lining. There was a question of whether they were effective but a common comment was that the paper sleeve didn't seem very durable and were easily torn. Any idea if there are ones made out of a plastic shell instead of paper? Also, I see someone mentioned their electronic ID card still worked inside one but I wonder if the frequency range of the ID card is the same as the credit card chip readers. In other words, just because their ID card worked, it may be a different frequency as the credit card chip and that doesn't necessarily mean the credit card chip isn't more secure in the sleeve.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 08/26/16.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I used to keep my access card in my wallet as well. I loved the fact that if I had my hands full I could just back up to the reader and it would unlock the door. Then the company mandated we were the id around our necks. We protested because we worked around rotating machinery but were overruled. Stupid administrators.

I used to slap my butt up against the reader, but when I changed work areas, the readers were mounted higher, higher than I could jump!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Okay, now I'm reading on some reviews that there are a couple different types of chip credit cards, one that is more of an RF chip that does act like a proximity device and can be read at a distance, and another newer type that needs nearly direct contact to work properly. People are claiming that the latter, near direct contact, type were created and are now being used on the newest cards because of the issues with the RF style chips. And if that is the case, then one of these sleeves would not be required. I wonder how the hell we as consumers are supposed to know this stuff?

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Just got a couple of my debit and credit cards replaced with the chip style cards. I was thinking about getting one of those RFID wallets that supposedly block people from scanning the chips when they are within a few feet of you.

I see those "as seen on TV" products in the stores but things in that category are usually junk quality. Does anyone have an RFID wallet that they like and can you give a link to Amazon or wherever you found the thing?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Many chip cards today do not use RFID. They use another technology called EMV, which stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa. You should check which technology your cards are using because they are likely not using RFID.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Many chip cards today do not use RFID. They use another technology called EMV, which stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa. You should check which technology your cards are using because they are likely not using RFID.

Yeah, that's what some reviewers were saying. They said most of the RFID cards left are the "easy pay" type card that you can just wave near a machine and it picks it up. I assume the newest cards that have the thing that looks like a cell phone SIM card embedded in it are not RFID.

MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks in advance,
Rob

My wife bought me one out of QVC...nicest little wallet I have owned . I have a mix of new and older design cards

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/26/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks in advance,
Rob

If you do not trust cards with the paypass facility then just put two in together, I have yet to see a machine that will read that.
Confounds ours every time...anyway don't panic as they generally stop working after a bit and you will be swiping it anyway.

Best way to keep them working is to not put the wallet on the dash of your vehicle, and don't keep your wallet in your back pocket.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay, now I'm reading on some reviews that there are a couple different types of chip credit cards, one that is more of an RF chip that does act like a proximity device and can be read at a distance, and another newer type that needs nearly direct contact to work properly. People are claiming that the latter, near direct contact, type were created and are now being used on the newest cards because of the issues with the RF style chips. And if that is the case, then one of these sleeves would not be required. I wonder how the hell we as consumers are supposed to know this stuff?

Interesting question, I have noted that some cards seem to read up to four inches whilst others (most) need to sit on the EFTPOS, and American Express doesn't read here at all and needs to be inserted.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And if you are travelling around Australia and pull into a little country town and insist upon jiggling your card in and out of the EFTPOS instead of just letting it lay, and the fellow behind the counter leans over and smacks you down the forehead for being an idiot...say hello to me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,074
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.