Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody who has ever worked in a gun shop knows you see/hear some wild sh*t on a regular basis. In my 22+ years I've seen some doozies. Yesterday a black fellow came in and asked for a box of ".41 bullets". ".41 Magnum?" I asked, to which he replied "Yeah." I handed him a box of 210 gr Gold Dots and sent him on his way. He came back today and said "Them bullets was too big." "What kind of gun is it?" I asked, thinking there was a remote chance he had a .41 Colt of some sort. He said "It looks like one of them cowboy guns." So I'm thinking, "Yeah, it must be an old SAA." "Bring it in so I can see what you have because if it's a .41 Long Colt, ammo is about $75 a box." He reluctantly went out to his car and came back a minute later with a 6 1/2" barreled Ruger Blackhawk that was clearly stamped .41 Magnum, but with, get this, a 9mm cylinder in it. I said, "You do realize this is a 9mm cylinder in a .41 frame don't you?" He looked at me cockeyed and said "Ok, give me a box of 9s." Trying to make him understand the situation was like trying to explain advanced calculus to me. I'm quite sure the gun was as hot as a firecracker and when he was distracted I jotted the serial number down and later gave it to a cop buddy to check out, along with his tag number. I figured somewhere out there, there is a .357/9mm convertible Blackhawk with a .41 cylinder in it...

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would have sold him a box of 380 with a call to the popo with his plate number

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I love these threads! What else you got?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I worked a gun counter for about a year after I retired and saw some really dumb stuff, but the dumbest was an old guy who came in and said he wanted to show me something. I said OK and he asked me to pull a Taurus Judge from display. He then picked up a box of .444 Marlin ammo and asked me if I knew that it would fit the Judge. He wanted to load the gun to show me. I refused and told him that although it might fit, it was a dangerous thing to do. I told him that the rifle ammo was loaded to about three times the pressure of the .45 Colt the gun was designed for. I believe the only thing that saved him was the smaller diameter bullet, which let a lot of pressure blow by.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I love these threads! What else you got?

Another goodie was about 5 years ago when another brain trust called and asked if we could remove a stuck choke tube. "We can try, but if it's rusted in, you might be S.O.L." I told him. He came in later in the day and handed me the gun. I looked at the muzzle, pulled a quarter out of my pocket and proceeded to remove the tube with no resistance at all. He took a couple steps back and said "Uh oh, this is embarrassing. It's in here." as he pointed to the loading port. He had stuck the choke tube into the magazine tube...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back when I was involved in some trading, a guy that I knew pretty well came up to my table and told me that he had a gun I would really like but he wasn't gonna turn it loose.

What is it, I axed.

Remington 700 but came from the factory with a Winchester barrel.

How do you know that, I axed again.

He says because it is stamped on the barrel ".270 Winchester."

I tried to explain to him that the .270 was a Winchester developed cartridge and that was the reason for it being stamped like that but to this day, he still doesn't believe me.

I showed him a Sako I had that was stamped "7 MM Remington Magnum" but he just shook his head and walked off.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is getting hard to find someone like you gentlemen who actually know what you are talking about behind any gun counter today. I have lots of stories from my side of the gun counter that keep me from shaking my head.

One of the most recent involved someone asking for 410 powder who was rudely informed there were lots of powders that would work in a 410 and he needed to go home and learn about reloading before he came back.

I went to Cabela's and asked is they carried Accurate powders and was told any powder could be accurate if I knew what I was doing. It was my last trip to Cabela's.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you all are nubbies, wait until someone brings you Dad's war trophy all loaded up

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have witnessed that a couple of times. Once with a 1911 in condition 3. Kid had no idea what to do with it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Anyone one buying any thing should know precisely what they are buying and what it is worth. If not, they deserve to be hosed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree.

Time was you could go to a gun store, ask questions and get real help. Today you had better know exactly what you want or stay home until you do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Anyone one buying any thing should know precisely what they are buying and what it is worth. If not, they deserve to be hosed.

Do you hose people who deserve it? crazy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who tries hard enough can rationalize bad behavior.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not Ed but I am sure he would not but he is not in the gun store business and there are this in that business who would.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
I agree.

Time was you could go to a gun store, ask questions and get real help. Today you had better know exactly what you want or stay home until you do.

That is the truth.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
I agree.

we used to live in better times

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by blanket
[
we used to live in better times [/quote]

Yes, my friend, we did. It is sad isn't it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not a gun shop story, but still mind boggling. A fellow I know had a call from someone who wanted to surrender a luger their father had brought back from WW2. Apparently the gentleman who was calling used to play army with it when he was a child,and his children played with it too. Since it was an unregistered firearm,he thought he should get rid of it. I'm sure you can see where this is going. When he dropped it off, my friend removed a full magazine from it and ejected a live round from the chamber. Fellow was shocked, only thing preventing a discharge was the safety. Makes you wonder how much this fellows dad really cared for them to give them a loaded gun to play with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No wonder they took your guns away grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sorry about Aussies state, anyone that would give a loaded or unloaded gun to kids to play with is a dumb [bleep] .

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.