Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My conference strength rankings:

Football: SEC................ACC,BIG 12,BIG 10,PAC 10/12(whatever), everybody else
Basketball:ACC..................BIG 12, PAC 10/12, BIG 10,.......SEC
Baseball: SEC,PAC 10, BIG 12 , ACC , ........no one else cares
Women's Softball: Tie SEC/PAC 10/12, BIG 12.......no one else cares
Track: SEC, PAC 10/12

Does the South simply have better athletes, or do we just care more.
In the South college ball is a relegion, on the East coast it's a cultural experiment, West coast seems a tourist attraction, the North is simply...well..outside OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU it just doesn't exist.

Does anyone here care?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
you pay better

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
North is simply...well..outside OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU it just doesn't exist.

Does anyone here care?

Michigan and Notre Dame might disagree with you. College football wouldn't be what it is were it not for the foundations those 2 programs laid at the start of radio/tv etc.

Not saying they're powerhouses today but CFB grew on the backs of those teams.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SEC has better bail bondsmen.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
LOL
You are both right, it's embarrassing but true. Down here we enjoy recruiting almost as much as the game.
To the other gentleman, they are both certainly storied programs and I have respect for them both, I would also add Army, Navy and very early on the University of Chicago was the team to beat.

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
watch out for the ACC this year. Their recruiting and alum investment over the past 2 years has been obscene.

Folks want to live in the prized South. What else needs to be stated?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Football: SEC................ACC,BIG 12,BIG 10,PAC 10/12(whatever), everybody else

In the South college ball is a relegion, on the East coast it's a cultural experiment, West coast seems a tourist attraction, the North is simply...well..outside OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU it just doesn't exist.

Does anyone here care?

NO.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With Kentucky being the number one college basketball team in the nation, and I think that's with all things considered, it could be argued that the SEC might be the best in basketball based upon that. Sadly, with the rest of the conference pretty much being just mediocre, that probably kills that argument. I think that one reason college sports are so popular here is because of two reasons.....for many years there no professional sports teams in the South, and the South produced some of the nations best college football teams, along with basketball teams like Kentucky and North Carolina. It's football though, that makes the SEC what it is, and since my state's team, Kentucky, sucks at football, I'm a fan of Alabama and whoever is playing Tennessee.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go Cats!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
year after year. There is the SEC, and then there are the other conferences. Simple as that.

Sam......

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
SEC coaches cried like little girls when Harbaugh came to town. So much so that their guy had the NCAA make a rule on the spot not to allow satellite camps.

You can't make this stuff up.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal

Does anyone here care?

Michigan and Notre Dame might disagree with you. College football wouldn't be what it is were it not for the foundations those 2 programs laid at the start of radio/tv etc.

Michigan is little more than an also ran these days. Softbaugh ain't gonna take them to the promised land.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a Big Can't Count guy, it's hard for me to admit, but the SEC is head and shoulders above the rest. Better bail bondsmen? Who knows? All I know is they play in and win a lot of bowl games at season's end, and there's one heck of a bunch of SEC boys playing in the NFL right now.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
With Kentucky being the number one college basketball team in the nation, and I think that's with all things considered, it could be argued that the SEC might be the best in basketball based upon that. Sadly, with the rest of the conference pretty much being just mediocre, that probably kills that argument. I think that one reason college sports are so popular here is because of two reasons.....for many years there no professional sports teams in the South, and the South produced some of the nations best college football teams, along with basketball teams like Kentucky and North Carolina. It's football though, that makes the SEC what it is, and since my state's team, Kentucky, sucks at football, I'm a fan of Alabama and whoever is playing Tennessee.

They screwed up firing Mumme.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by JamesJr

They screwed up firing Mumme.

You do have a point there. He knew how to put points on the board.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you talking this year or the past 20 years?

If you're the past 20-25 years, I would say Men's Basketball would be the old Big East before it's breakup.

Women's BB, best conference is wherever UConn plays (let's face it, 11 championships in 21 years, cannot beat that).

Football, yes the SEC has an advantage, I think, because of the nice weather, especially come November/Dec. I think there are many kids that don't want to come north to play because it is cold/snowy/rainy and just downright miserable outside.

Baseball/softball I think the SEC also has an edge because of the weather as well. It's tough for the northern teams to compete when many of them play on the road for the first month of the season.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once again my "give a $hit" bucket is full. Try back later !!!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
SEC coaches cried like little girls when Harbaugh came to town. So much so that their guy had the NCAA make a rule on the spot not to allow satellite camps.

You can't make this stuff up.

Harbaugh must come down here for talent 'cuz all the premier "athletes" up your way are lootin' chit at BLM protests.

Our "athletes" are on the field or chillin' and smoking' a blunt on their off time. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

Does anyone here care?

Once you started using women's softball as a key point you lost all credibility.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by teal

Does anyone here care?

Michigan is little more than an also ran these days. Softbaugh ain't gonna take them to the promised land.

I'm thinking the Hairless Nut wants to make a bet? I'll be kind, but you had best check out the polls. The "also ran" is also the winningest college football team in history. The RichRod/Hoke years are over...and so is the scarlet and gray party. cool

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.