-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This may not be the right place to post this. I am still learning to navigate here.
I just ordered my Kreiger barrel for a Mauser 98 build in 358 Norma. I really don't want to pop for a whole box of 50 Woodleighs before the rifle is even built.
I would like to load up some dummies for feed testing on my action and to make sure I have enough throat to shoot them.

Anyone have a few they would part with for a reasonable fee?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pardon me for changeing the subject,, I've never used 310 Woodleigh's but used 300 gr Barnes Originals for years. They worked perfect and probably about the same as the Woodleigh, then we had a rep for Swift at the lodge and he sent me a pile of 280gr A-Frames,, in my opinion that's the finest 35 caliber bullet on this earth. Accurate and every bullet that you recover is just like the pic's in their adds and great wound channels!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
waterrat -
It's my thread , we can take it anywhere we want. I've been reading everything I can about the 358 NM and advice from someone who uses it every day is much respected.

Thanks for the tip. My work has taken me to Alaska over the last couple of years and I am hooked. I wanted to build a rifle that was up to the challenge should I ever get to go off the leash from work. If I ever manage to draw a tag for our littler moose here at home in Idaho, it will be more than enough gun.

I bought a grab bag of 35 Cal bullets at a pawn shop yesterday and they turned out to have about 80 250 Grand Slams in them. Depending on the rifle and the application I've used a lot of Speer (they are made about 50 miles from me), some Sierra, and some Hornady. I've never gotten into any of the partitions before. Anyone who says you need them in Idaho "for the big stuff" has never been to AK. I do use bonded bullets, but the truth is that anything walking in Idaho will fall to a cheap cup & core bullet. I've killed elk inside 20 yards with high end Speers, but I've killed them with Speer's "Hot-Cor" bullets or Sierra Game Kings, too. The are places near me where you MAY have a chance of encountering a Grizzy, so OK, maybe some guys feel the need for a tougher bullet.

With this rifle, I am starting with a clean slate and going somewhere I have not before. No bullet is off the table.

Everyone goes on about how much the 358 NM recoils but a lot of the bullets you see out there do not have cannelures. ??? Do they hold their seating depths without a crimp? It seems to me that dangerous animals demand a crimped load.

Maybe it's another topic in another thread, but I'm looking for advice on sights and optics for the 358 NM as well.

Mark

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If seated to the cannelure, I've never known them not to feed and chamber in x2 358s, x3 35Whelens, plus a 358Norma. Your more likely to have trouble with something like the 225gr AccuBond which is quite long.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Con,

Not putting one over on a Yank, are you? ;=)

I popped at Midway for 50 of the Woodleigh 310 Weldcore RN and 50 of the 275 Weldcore protected point. No one seems to have the 280 A-Frames right now.

BTW - MidSouth Shooting supply is having a sale on 100 round boxes of Norma 358 NM brass for $1.46/round. It's a better price/round than their 1000 box.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading

IC B2

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nah mate,
Not pulling your leg or the wool over your eyes. The 310gr Woodleigh seems 'dumpy' enough that when seated to the cannelure, it just feeds well from my various rifles. They've been Rugers, Savages, M17s, M70s etc... Only concern would be using an M98 action that's say in /06 size and modifying to feed the Norma. But done properly, doubt you'll have a worry in the world.

Only other caution is to use enough barrel twist to ensure it stabilises, 1:14" should be fine, as may 1:16" in the Norma. But I built mine as a 1:12" to be sure.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 09/10/16.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm going 1 in 12. I've always liked to shoot heavy stuff. Too many off the shelf guns are twisted too slow anyway. I like fast twists. I have a Ruger 264 Win Mag with a 1 in 9. I wish they would go 1 in 8. Why take on awesome round like that and take half your bullet selection off the table? Mine will do MOA with 140s, but one holes with 120s and 130s. The 156s and 160s are terrible. I would love the get the big Woodleigh dialed in for this but I think it's a lost cause.

My feed chute and box measure 3.380". I have yet to open up the rails for the fatter cartridges but I'm hoping to be good to go on the ramp. I can feed all but the last round, so it seems like I may just need to tweak the follower.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I made up some dummies with Woodleigh 310s and 275s. The brass was trimmed to 2.510" and they were seated to cannelure depth and crimped. There is amble room in the mag well and at the ramp. They feed fine until the belt snags on my unmodified rails and unopened bolt face.
Off to find some Accubonds. Still can't find any 280 Swifts out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 63 invisible), 17,848 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,938
Posts18,539,266
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.