Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Add oldotter to the list. We's in trouble now, boss.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a boat load of extra targets and envelopes. Since it appears the entries are petering out, if anybody wants a couple extra targets for sighting in, or whatever, just give me the word. I'll send 'em out free.

I'll be firing my targets next weekend I think.

I was unable to locate a set of target scope blocks for my 1933NRA. Then I cast a sidelong glance at my Krag single shot varmint rifle and sure enough, its scope blocks work a treat on the Savage. Second hurdle was replacing the broken cross hair wires in a Litschert 10x target scope I picked up recently. A $10 piece of .0005" (yes, half a thousandth) tungsten wire, and an hour of crosseyed frustration later- problem solved. Phew! Saved myself a $100 repair bill. I initially figured the cost of repairs, plus the initial cost of the scope would put me into into it for around 1/2 of its real worth. The deal looks even sweeter now!

[Linked Image]

The Winchester 52 Pre-A took a shine to the M1933NRA. They are getting along nicely together. Perhaps they will produce an interesting offspring? I shall name it "Savwin". smile

Interestingly, the trigger on the 1933 is very sweet. Better than on the one I had a few years ago. Easily the equal of the 52, which is saying something. If the Savage will hit aspirins at 50 yards like the Winchester will, it'll earn itself a permanent home here in Chez Gnoahhh!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/09/16.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was going to wait till tomorrow to let you know I haven't gotten mine yet. You know we are 35 miles apart, USPS probably sent them to Texas, via Wyoming, with a layover in Tampa, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's the .22 I'll shoot the 25 yard offhand stage with:

[Linked Image]

Stevens 87A, Tenite stock. I call it the third Tappet Brother- you know, after Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. It's that odd "click-clack" action of the semi-auto bolt function. Never mind... grin

My Gramps bought the gun at a country public estate auction in north central PA, back in 1962, for $1.50, because the butt stock was broken clean in half behind the pistol grip. A little PC-7 epoxy and he had it good as new. It was the gun he kept around the house for me to use for "vermin control" when I came to visit . Hah! The only ammo he allowed me to shoot out of it was .22 birdshot. (We called it "rat shot".) I guess he really wasn't too concerned about the vermin. Many a starling I cracked at from multiple yards away with the fervent hope that a lone tiny Golden BB would somehow miraculously find its mark. Heady stuff for a 9 year old whose armament at home consisted of a Daisy BB gun. (My Dad knew better than to trust me with a .22, as my favorite target of choice was my little sister's butts. On reflection, perhaps too Gramps had keen insight into my soul also...) Shortly after, Gramps gifted the gun to me and I was off and running.

I just realized I've owned this gun for 53 years. I guess it's a keeper.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/09/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Targets received. Now to find a time to punch holes.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Got mine, too.

Brian

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gary, care package got here. I like the color of that upper, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I took my 29B and 4C to the range today to make sure they are dialed in for the match, and I made a terrible discovery! I'm getting old! I can't see the target at 25 yards with open sights. This is not good!

Brian

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Try a pair of 1.25x drugstore reading glasses. That's how I deal with open sights, kinda!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Got mine, Thank You.

I'll be shooting this weekend.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Me too.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot my categories today, Cat 1 an Cat 2. The cat 2 was shot with a Savage Model 1914 iron sights (Lyman tang site) and Cat 1 was a Savage pre-war Model 5 BA with a side mounted Weaver 29S tube, fine crosshairs. Real happy with the Model 5 and the 1914 well, it is what it is. Most of them stayed on the paper. whistle

Attached Images
category 2 target Postal Match.jpg (67.5 KB, 58 downloads)
Category 1 postal match target.jpg (53.73 KB, 54 downloads)
Savage Model 1914 postal match a.jpg (82.84 KB, 48 downloads)
Last edited by steve99; 09/17/16. Reason: typo

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the record on the category one target measured group was 0.756 without subtracting bullet diameter, 3X's and 2 10's by my reckoning on the center target.

The Category 2 target looks like upper left for group size at 2.90 and lower right for score at 21. Those suckers are hard to see.

This was fun. Thanks Gary for putting this up for us.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"The Category 2 target ... lower right for score at 21."

You forgot the 4 points each for the other 2 rounds...= 29. smile

Rick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for the help Rick! Please show me as scoring 29 for the Cat 2 target. Ya never know. A half a possum is better than...

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bravo!

It was too windy to shoot today. That, plus a possum made me take him shopping for new underwear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifles used.
[Linked Image]
Cat#2; Off hand at 30 yds (only shot 4 do to time):
[Linked Image]

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cat #1; /Pre`60, .22, scoped, 50 yds
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cat#4; Pre`60, .22 centerfire, open sight, 50 yds
URL=http://s242.photobucket.com/user/sav99age/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160920_153436.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]
[Linked Image]

Didn't shoot Cat#3,the post `60...found I had no rife. Do have a 1961 pistol but I didn't think I could hit the target. smile

Anyone have info on the military .22 Hornet Match ammo I used?
What was the government buying match hornet for and to shoot in what? I think it was made in the `80's.

Rick...

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nicely done, Rick! Your data is duly entered into the Grand Tally Sheet.

I never saw a box of Hornets like those, Rick. I too would like to know more about them.

I rounded up a small prize to go to the presenter of the smallest group in category #1. I only have one, and it's my call as to which category shall take it. (Actually, I consulted with my team of judges, headed by one Pogo Posssum.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That box had the military collectors at the Kansas Cartridge Collectors show scratching their heads, also.

Rick...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 30 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.