Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I built a 300 blackout upper. The gas hole in the barrel was fairly large, didn't measure it but about 1/4". It is a 16" barrel carbine version.

Ok, so I've fired it a few times. After 2-3 rounds, it doesn't eject the spent cartridge. I've tried 110 grain, 125 grain bullets and 208 grain bullets. I do not have a suppressor on it.

Now does it require a suppressor to have enough back pressure to operate the gas system?

Or do I trim the recoil spring back one or two loops at a time to weaken the recoil spring?

Or Is there a muzzle break short of a suppressor that will put enough back pressure to operate?

Or do I replace the gas block with an adjustable gas block?

Which would you do? Don't have a lot of money left to spend on this project and at this time, I can't afford a suppressor.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 08/29/16.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would never do a 300/221 without an adjustable gas block due to the wide variety of loads out there. From slow subs to fast light super loads.

Although first thing I"d try is to make sure the gas block on the gun is indexed correctly so its not blocking part of that port.

I don't think the port on my 300 blackout barrel is 1/4 inch or close, but I stopped the build on that years ago when I realized I'd have action noise to deal with along with the suppressing noise and moved to a bolt gun for the subs.

I don't recall if my adj block is locked in place yet or not, if its not I'll measure tonight and post again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Don't bother with an adjustable gas block on a gun that doesn't fully cycle; you don't need to restrict the gas any further.

Maximum effective gas port size is 1/8" (0.125"), yours won't be any bigger than that.

I'd guess you have a carbine length gas system on that barrel; should have gone with pistol length gas. If you do already have a 1/8" gas port (it's probably smaller than that), there's not much you can do other than making sure the gas block is aligned properly, tube is aligned in the block, and the gas rings are installed correctly on the bolt.

Did you use an H1 or H2 buffer, or extra power spring? If so, ditch those and go back to standard carbine parts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still wouldn't build one without adjustable, even after you get it working.

Alignment is often the key for the gas block, in fact about every time I've seen the issue on a 223 it goes back to the gas block partially blocking the port.

1/4 inch... it just dawned on me... a .224 bullet... Whats bore diameter... and a .250 hole. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Everything is lined up properly. I took it apart and redid it. It is a carbine length barrel, and all standard parts. However, I didn't measure the hole at the time, but I thought it was big. I've built two other 223's and never had this problem. I may check into an adjustable gas port. Makes sense. I wanted to deer hunt with this, and sometime in the future get a suppressor when I get the money.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've seen two types of adjustable gas blocks. 0.750" and 0.96", which one? Mine is carbine length.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Again, an adjustable gas port won't help your problem. They restrict gas, your rifle already doesn't have enough. There is absolutely no value at all in an adjustable gas block on an undergassed rifle; it would be like putting a throttle restriction on your Honda because it doesn't have enough power.

Nothing wrong with using one, but fix the problem first.

You have to measure the diameter of your barrel at the gas block, that is the number you're asking about. Yours is probably .750".

Carbine length gas in 300 Blk is known to be more picky about cycling. Please measure your gas port and report back; if it's not a full .125" already you might be able to open it up a little more.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/29/16.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Are you using factory ammo, or handloads? If handloads, what are your loads?

It could be you're using the wrong powder, or the loads are too light. Even if they are correct, but the rifle is still under gassed, you could get it to run right by moving to a slower powder.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Both hand loads and factory loads. Both will only cycle two, sometimes 3 rounds. I loaded per Lyman book for the powder used. I used H-110 powder. Also used the carbine chart.

Ok on the .750". Wasn't thinking. You are right. All the adjustable gas block will do is restrict rather than open it up.

I have read that the Lyman reloading book is a little conservative. I am also loading light and will work up. However, the factory loads do the same thing. I've also changed magazines, both steel and Magpul. Same results. The gas block is pinned in place, so it can't really be off. Gas tube only pins a certain way also. It does cycle the first round, but after than no. I've never seen this before on any of my other AR's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swap out your BCG with a known good.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have .223 ARs, I would try one of your other bolt carrier groups, and then a different carbine lower.

What was your 110gr load? I load 110gr Hornady SPs seated to 1.93inches over 19.5gr of H110. They cycle fine in my 16inch, carbine gas 300BLK with standard carbine buffer and spring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Whose barrel or did I miss that?

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/29/16.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Both hand loads and factory loads. Both will only cycle two, sometimes 3 rounds. I loaded per Lyman book for the powder used. I used H-110 powder. Also used the carbine chart.

Ok on the .750". Wasn't thinking. You are right. All the adjustable gas block will do is restrict rather than open it up.

I have read that the Lyman reloading book is a little conservative. I am also loading light and will work up. However, the factory loads do the same thing. I've also changed magazines, both steel and Magpul. Same results. The gas block is pinned in place, so it can't really be off. Gas tube only pins a certain way also. It does cycle the first round, but after than no. I've never seen this before on any of my other AR's.

What exact loads are you using? The supers may well be just too light, and H110 is not ideal for subs. It'll work fine in a pistol gas system but probably not in carbine gas; you'll probably be restricted to using 1680 or slower powders for that.

Do swap your BCG with a known good one, as recommended above.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny part still is if I wanted supersonic I'd just run an X 39....

300/221 is for subs only... plus you have to run 1680, its not the quietest powder at all for subs and a can..

Only reason I continue to pursue my AR upper in 300/221 is for trailing wounded deer with the dog... for that with a can and follow up shots, the 1680 will likely be quiet enough..

Hmmm deer season is just around the corner, need to test some of my bullseye loads soon and put the finishing touches on the AR...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rost, I like that you are referring to it as 300/221. Were guys converting their XP100’s to 300/221 back in the day? Or is 221 Fireball the parent cartridge that JD Jones used when he was working on the Whisper? Or AAC?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
221 fireball is the parent cartridge of the 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout. Somewhere prior to the introduction of the 300 BO there were 300/221 die sets offered by Hornady and custom contender barrels in 300/221 by various makers. The 300 Whisper is a proprietary round hence manufacturers other than SSK using the 300/221 nomenclature so old JDJ wouldn't sue them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still call it what it was first time... old fashioned I suppose.... sue me. LOL.

Damn names like blackout, like an anemic pistol type round is going to flatten something like a "magnum" rifle round kind of irritates an old bastard like me.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

They are so close to the same thing it doesn't matter, except the better bullet selection in .308". We've discussed that before though, everyone has their own opinion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the history lesson. Good stuff. I wrongly assumed that the 300BLK started as a shortened 223 since that is the way most make the cases. I knew of the 221 Fireball, but didn't know that it shared case head dimensions.

I agree with you on the Blackout name being a little .. trendy.

I picked up a 300BLK barrel and dies just for kicks and paper punching. I don't plan to shoot subs or get a suppressor, but who knows.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by rost495

They are so close to the same thing it doesn't matter, except the better bullet selection in .308". We've discussed that before though, everyone has their own opinion.

Nephews x39 has 308 barrel. Does ok with surplus, shoots around MOA with 125 ballistic tips. Best of both worlds. IMHO. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

730 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.