-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a man in the Navy who was assigned to a naval boat built somewhere up in Michigan (or maybe Wisconsin) of all places, took the boat down the Mississippi, out thru New Orleans , then around Cape Horn on its way to see action in the Pacific.

By the time they reached the Pacific, the war was over.

I'm not sure if the Panama Canal was closed or what but they opted to go around I can only assume for some valid reason.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Forgot to turn right at Panama? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by magshooter1
No argument there. The world will never see their like again.

Dad flew 34 missions as a gunner in B-24's over Europe in late 43 and 44. Rotated back to the states and was transitioning into B-29's when it ended.

Got discharged and worked in the oil and chemical industry till 1982. Got married and had 3 kids along the way. He has spent the last 30+ years whacking deer, ducks, turkeys, golf balls and chunking baits at bass. Had me get a couple more game cameras for the farm for this fall. He'll be 94 in November and plans to deer hunt as much as I can take him. I may be 1/2 again as big as he is but, I'll never be 1/2 the man he was when it counted.

I love the fact he is still able to go hunt at his age and still has the desire to do so. You are fortunate indeed to still have him around. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mom and Dad after the war

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by magshooter1
No argument there. The world will never see their like again.

Dad flew 34 missions as a gunner in B-24's over Europe in late 43 and 44. Rotated back to the states and was transitioning into B-29's when it ended.

Got discharged and worked in the oil and chemical industry till 1982. Got married and had 3 kids along the way. He has spent the last 30+ years whacking deer, ducks, turkeys, golf balls and chunking baits at bass. Had me get a couple more game cameras for the farm for this fall. He'll be 94 in November and plans to deer hunt as much as I can take him. I may be 1/2 again as big as he is but, I'll never be 1/2 the man he was when it counted.

I love the fact he is still able to go hunt at his age and still has the desire to do so. You are fortunate indeed to still have him around. Thanks for sharing.

I am indeed fortunate. He's tough as nails. Grew up on a dairy farm before they had milking machines. Used to have a grip like a vise. When WWII started he was in CA building PBY Catalinas. Never knew anything but hard work until he retired.
Still climbs up into 12 foot tall deer stands, still rides his four wheeler, none of this happens fast mind you. Never have been able to get him to give up his see thru scope mounts. He does use a variable scope now though. Course he keeps them set on 4X. lol

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The WWII generation was just entering retirement age during my formative growing up years. There were no finer folks and I really enjoyed being around them. I much preferred them to the folks my parents age. I really miss them and the backbone that they added to society. I am fortunate to sit in front of a WWII veteran at church each Sunday. We routinely thank him for his service, which he modestly down plays. He was driven to the front three days after Normandy, so he certainly did his part.

I also enjoyed being around folks from that generation when growing up. Anytime I learned someone was a vet of WWII, I ate up anything they would share about their experiences. And some I didn't learn they served until after they passed. Regardless, they were good people to be around for their values and wisdom.

One fine gentlemen who fought in Europe all the way to Germany spoke of a guy in their unit who wouldn't bath even after he was given many direct hints he should. It was finally remedied one night by giving the fellow a surprise and rather vigorous scrubbing (I'm leaving the description at that). Suffice it to say, he got the message and no more forced bathing was required. I spent many a night enjoying the hospitality of this man's home, while we spoke into the wee hours about many things, most of which had nothing to do with his military service. It was a sad thing to learn he had passed when I came back for a visit while going to college.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think of Bob Feller, perhaps the best pitcher in the Major Leagues and in the prime of his career, which is short for pitchers. On December 8, 1941, he immediately quit baseball and enlisted in the military, not to return until 1946.

His honor was dearer than his life. Now we have this Kaeppernick bum, whom fans are dumb enough to go and see earn $100MM. The Greatest Generation had honor and integrity.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We all owe them a debt that can never be repaid....

yet the sad truth is many people 30 and under don't even have a clue what these men did, even with many barely out of high school... and some who were drafted right while still in high school.,,

many of the clueless younger generations, don't even have a clue what anyone in this nation did to survive and support the war effort in WW 2.........

then think how much of pretty much all of the United States involvement in WW ONE is pretty much forgotten period by most people under 40.......

several days ago in a grove of trees in the middle of a farm field in Virginia, I took the picture of a grave stone of a young man who was killed at 19 years old in 1861 fighting for the Confederacy..... the weeds being as high as the grave stone....

sadly how soon will the gravestones of our WW 2 vets being as forgotten as the grave of 19 y/o Pvt James Painter, VA Volunteers, CSA 1842 to 1861..... final resting place an abandoned grave yard in a farm field in Rockingham Co VA.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not counting Christianity, the man I most admire is Audie Leon Murphy. He was a man's man in every sense of the term. He joined the US Army to prevent his siblings from being separated upon the death of is mother. He sent every one of his Army paychecks home to his older sister so she could care for his siblings. His acts of incredible heroism were to protect other American soldiers.

Murphy never sought to capitalize on his Congressional Medal of Honor, the most prestigious medal in the world. He was a utility man in a boxing gym in LA. A movie mogul worked out at the same gym. He used to knock the heck out of Murphy in the ring. The mogul was impressed that Murphy never gave up. In a sauna one day, the mogul noticed that much of one of Murphy's hips was missing. The mogul asked the gym's owner about Murphy. The mogul had no idea he was working out with Audie Leon Murphy. The mogul took Murphy home, introduced him to the biggest stars of the era, and paid for Murphy's acting lessons.

Men like Audie Leon Murphy are more rare than honest politicians.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Originally Posted by 1minute
I seriously doubt we as a nation now could pull off what they did.

I pray we could rise to the occasion, but think it would take a direct threat to our nation and people to arouse the ire.

You would also have to overcome the liberal interference against the war.. Think Viet Nam on steroids!

Speaking of Viet Nam, most Viet Nam vets I know are heading into their 70s. Please take time to thanks them before it's too late. They went through hell there and a lot of them came back to hellish indifference back home.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They went through hell there and a lot of them came back to hellish indifference back home.

The ones who suffered ONLY "hellish indifference" upon their return are the fortunate ones.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I shared my dad's story earlier, but I also had a grandfather who served in WW-1. Unfortunately I don't know much about him. I do know that he was gassed and suffered with breathing problems the rest of his life. He died in the early 1960's while in his early 60's. I was only 3-4 at the time and never got to know him.

That was my mom's dad. My fathers dad received a draft notice and reported for duty during WW-1. But was told that since he was a farmer his skills were needed more on the farm and they sent him home.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
I knew a man in the Navy who was assigned to a naval boat built somewhere up in Michigan (or maybe Wisconsin) of all places, took the boat down the Mississippi, out thru New Orleans , then around Cape Horn on its way to see action in the Pacific.

By the time they reached the Pacific, the war was over.

I'm not sure if the Panama Canal was closed or what but they opted to go around I can only assume for some valid reason.

They built a lot of naval boats right here in Minnesota. They floated them down the Minnesota River out of Savage, and down the Mississippi. I believe they were landing craft, but I'm not positive on that. They would have had to be small enough and shallow drafted enough for passage on the rivers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Originally Posted by 1minute
I seriously doubt we as a nation now could pull off what they did.

I pray we could rise to the occasion, but think it would take a direct threat to our nation and people to arouse the ire.

You would also have to overcome the liberal interference against the war.. Think Viet Nam on steroids!

Speaking of Viet Nam, most Viet Nam vets I know are heading into their 70s. Please take time to thanks them before it's too late. They went through hell there and a lot of them came back to hellish indifference back home.
The way these guys were treated when they came home was absolutely criminal. Another group of brave men, risking their lives for us, and they got spit on and worse when thet returned. The idiots that did this to them should rot in hell for their actions.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by SakoAV
.........Congressional Medal of Honor, the most prestigious medal in the world...

I agree with every thing you have said about Murphy; a truly great man. However, the Victoria Cross is the equal of the Congressional Medal of Honor in prestige.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.