Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
I respect the 06, but never was a fan, perhaps as I found lesser recoiling rounds to shoot as flat and kill as fast.

I would recommend the Barnes 130 TTSX, and better yet in a 308. It and the 150 in the 308 (4895 will do well in it) will give you the 30 cal if you want that for confidence, but less recoil. I think you will be pleased how they compare to the 165, if you are open to making a change.

Nothing wrong with a 130 270, in plain jane corelokts, mild on the shooters shoulder, deadly on deer. Again, if you set on the 06, well you are in good shape if you don't mind the recoil and hit vitals well.

Hornady's are great, used many myself, but now my go to bullet is the Accubond in everything but the 6mm/243, where I use the 95 ballistic tip. That last one has killed as good as any larger caliber on deer for me and many others.

Personally I just cannot warm up to shooting rifles with more recoil than necessary, but not knocking those who don't mind it and shoot well. I always thought the 270/130 was a gold standard for deer hunting, for less recoil and better trajectory.

Now, a 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, and 7mm-08 have my nod, and recently the 6.5x47 as I handload. If/When I do add a 30 cal, it will more than likely be a 308 in a 20-22" spouting 130-150s, emulating some of the above rounds to common hunting distances.

One of the largest bears was killed by a 22LR. The natives in Alaska shoot very small cartridge rifles at game that many would never do. So in the search for the lowest recoiling cartridge that will still kill, where is the end?

I have a friend that is always trying to push the lower limit on deer. Last year he shot six times before the deer died. Maybe he should have tried something a little larger? Another friend who lives just west of Rocky Mountain National Park used to pick up a box of 6mm ammunition to hunt elk. He is used to having to put 5 rounds into an elk before it fies. He's a nice guy but I think he's not being a responsible Hunter. He tried a 280 of mine and dropped the elk in her tracks. "He never seen nothing like it!" (His words)

I've shot deer with a 06 since the sixties. I've tried other cartridges but I find nothing wrong with the 06 if the hunter doesn't use too fragile of bullets.

I've killed a doe with a 22-250 once, but that is what I had with me. The 22-250 can do the job, but I wouldn't take shots with one that I have taken with the 06.

I think it's irresponsible to plan on shooting more than once to kill game animals. Using a cartridge that is too large in other's eyes isn't a problem for me.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/29/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you're really young or really old, .30-06 recoil really shouldn't be an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I shot my 30-06 this morning. It's shooting great, all ready for my elk hunt.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I first started deer hunting I used a 25-06 with 100 gr bullets. I worked in a gun shop and bought different rifles as a hobby. I thought I needed an elk rifle and moose, and bear.
Now I realize that the best thing about a 30-06 is that you can neck it up to .35 caliber and do everything with a 250 gr cup and core bullet.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Unless you're really young or really old, .30-06 recoil really shouldn't be an issue.

I developed a chronic shoulder problem that started in 2007 that made me give up bowhunting. I've since learned 35 Whelen is about my high-water mark as far as recoil goes. I bought my last 30-06 in 2014 and vowed I'd work my way down from there on out. A normal day at the bench does not cause a flair-up, but I'm not going to push it.

If I can kill deer with a sizeable reduction in recoil, I'm going for it. Those 165's over H4895 are just right.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Every deer my late wife ever killed was with the 125 Sierra.
When we went to Alaska to hunt caribou. I made her carry 150 gr in case a bear started chewing on us. Otherwise the 125 would have worked on caribou.
IMO
Try the 125 Sierra at 2900 fps.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bugger, I have shot deer at 400 Lasered yards, using 28.5 gr of Varget under a 105 Amax via a 6mmBR...double lunged, exit golf ball sized hole, and deer struggled to stay on it's feet for 25 yds and dropped.

Proper bullet and shot placement trumps horsepower IME. As i said before, I respect the 06 and nothing against folks who use it and shoot them well. Yet for deer, ALOT of options work well, when the shooter places their shot with a good bullet.

I owned a Ruger 77 SS Laminate for a brief time in 06, not the best stock choice or pad, shot well, but not as fun as other rounds. Not a 416 RM - yes I have shot one, but just did not enjoy it. Now a buddy's 300 WM in BAR shot softer than my 06. Gun stock shape/type and pad material matter to the shooter no doubt.

Dirtfarmer, that is a wicked 308 round, 135....

Shaman, talked to my cousin in Alaska ysdy, he cannot fish, or shoot, anything. Had shoulder surgery recently, wish you well on that shoulder.

If that 165 ever starts flaring up your shoulder, many good lighter bullet options will kill deer very dead, to most common distances, with less punch to yourself. Sure you will decide what your recoil tolerance is going forward.

As to the bear and 22 comment, well, we are talking deer hunting and the fella is in KY.........I assume bear are not in the equation, but perhaps I am wrong.

FWIW, I started out shooting my first deer with a 7mm RM, and since then shot 243s, 270s, 338-06, 338 Win Mag, all types of 6-7mm rounds down to the 6BR and 7BR in rifles, 357 rifle, and the 7mm TCU (7x223 improved) in a handgun.

Guess what? All Deer hit - died.

Just sharing my experience for those who have not had the opportunity to enjoy shooting more rounds flinch free during a range session, and seen first hand the killing performance of them on game.

Lest anyone doubt a round's "Worth on game" - don't knock them if you have yet to try a mild recoiling round with good bullets.

IMHO, there is a Direct Correlation in Recoil and Blast - and Field Accuracy.

I might add, I will not endorse carrying a marginal round or improper bullets when pursuing dangerous game, or when hunting in big bear country. Whatever you use, shoot it well or find something you do. And enjoy it. Life is too short. I see people beating themselves up shooting guns far larger than needed for the task at hand, and it is their ego that keeps them from making choices that will allow more enjoyment in the shooting sports.

Have fun folks, and be safe smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Depends entirely on the weight of the gun and the shape of the stock. I can shoot my 1903A1 Springfield- 9+ pounds, Type C stock- all day long with full tilt loads and walk away with a smile on my face. One of my Mauser sporters weighs 6½ pounds, with a tiny wisp of an elegant stock, and a magazine full of Lake City Match ammo turns my shoulder black and blue and resurrects the flinch I thought I had cured after giving up trap shooting on a regular basis.

Arguments pro and con over this load or that being necessary for this or that person pass right over my head unless I know the weight and layout of the rifle in question.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/30/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gnoahh has a point. I can shoot my 375H&H AI all day no issues. But I have a red pad 7mm RM that hurts a lot. Stock fit and weight and stock fit are the issues. Did I mention stock fit?
For anyone who feels that a cartridge kicks too much, there's likely another culprit.
I grew up with an 06. I think it's a cartridge even the most feeble could shoot. I have arthritis and bersitus but with proper fit stock no issues. My 350 RM with fully loaded 250 grain bullets are no problem because the stock fits. That rifle is around 6 lb.

The very first center fire I owned had a steel butt plate - a 98 Mauser 7.9x57. I was shooting it prone with factory loads and I was in my early teens. I still remember how much I thought that rifle kicked - the 8mm was an assume round.

So I suspect that people that think the 270 is the heaviest recoiling rifle they can handle are not necessarily gay and whimpy (though that's still a possibility 😄😄😄)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the '06 does get to you just get a .270 with 130's and you really haven't given up much. People who hate the .270 are weird.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 30-06 with 130 grain Barnes TTSX is a great combo. It seems to be big enough in expansion to put good-leaking holes in broadside lung shots, while also able to penetrate end-to-end on a big deer if needed.

Light recoil and shoots flat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the '06 does get to you just get a .270 with 130's and you really haven't given up much. People who hate the .270 are weird.

Or more likely they enjoy teasing 270 shooters, because they are soooo easy.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger

Or more likely they enjoy teasing 270 shooters, because they are soooo easy.

Or more likely yet they're UnAmerican Commie Pinko bas-tards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes 270 electoral votes to become President! That's just how American that round is!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the 270 is responsible for Obama?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Overly simplified, but basic truth: For every action there's an equal but opposite reaction. If you launch a 130 grain bullet at well over 3000 fps, it'll generate as much recoil as a 150 going decidedly slower. The only way to generate less recoil with a light bullet is to drive it at the same velocity as the heavier one. That's pure physics. Real world felt recoil, again, is dependent on a lot other factors such as stock fit, gun weight, etc. which can abrogate the effects of recoil to one degree or another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Its an 06, you would have to screw up pretty bad to not end up with a decent deer load.

Actually I think you'd have to screw up pretty badly not to end up with an excellent deer load.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
So the 270 is responsible for Obama?

No, unfortunately the 270 can't sway the will of the people. But I do believe McCarthy listed .270 hatred as an "anti-American activity".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But the 270 is a good coyote round.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Debating the worth of different cartridges is fun, but let's not forget what is way more important: Hunting skills that put us where the animal is, coupled with marksmanship skills. Once those aspects are mastered cartridge selection is an afterthought. Close your eyes and pick one. I swear if I listen to one more .30-06 vs. .270 argument I'm gonna commit myself to an asylum.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.