Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by gunner500
"What grain bullet should I use?"

In your 44 mag? 300 grains. wink

Wheat? Rye?

Whole wheat in the Redhawk makes me fart - a lot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chester, do you remember the old boy that showed up at our Buffalo League match with, and had an old WW2 Smith "Victory Model" in .38 SW that kept "locking up" ?

Turns out a rocket scientist on the counter of a local place had sold him some .38 spcl + P. The lead noses were sheering off on the barrel, and he was using both hands to cock it.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A guy came into the shop with a semi shotgun. He says he has a problem pulling the chamber back.

I said "What?". He grabs the bolt handle and pulls it back and it sticks halfway back.

I said "That's the bolt.". He said "Well, I call it the chamber."

I say "You can call it a red, red rose if you like, but everybody else calls it the bolt."

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Dillinger"

(Small 2 shot hide out pistol)

And the popular "stubb" nose 38!

Forgot about the Dilinger ( yeah, we got them too...) but I'll bet the stubby was a 'Smith and Western'....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Dillinger"

(Small 2 shot hide out pistol)

And the popular "stubb" nose 38!

Forgot about the Dilinger ( yeah, we got them too...) but I'll bet the stubby was a 'Smith and Western'....

Actually it was a Smith & Weston! laugh

On a 38 Frame!! laugh

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/01/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I worked at a friend's shop a guy bought a Remington 870. Didn't think too much of it. He said he was going to hunt rabbits with it. Every Friday night he would come in and buy a box of shells. After about 8 weeks of this the owner asked him if he was doing any good and the guy said, "no, not many rabbits around." So then the owner said "well you are sure going through the shells, are you missing what you are shooting at." Guy says, "no, I am not shooting at much, just going through a lot of shells unloading the gun."

After more questions, we realize the guy did not know he could manually unload the gun without shooting it! Every time he was done hunting, he just shot the gun in the dirt until it was empty......

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still get a nervous twitch when someone starts talking about "Sa-BOT" deer slugs.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Suhvorski

Suh-warv-a-hooski

My step-father pronounces it "Sworski." I've corrected him dozens of times but he just keeps on. Drives me insane.

Had a FIL ( now-ex) who insisted on referring to Midway as Midland, and Cabelas as Gabriels....

I was always afraid he would bump his head and lose that one IQ point that separated him from the carrots and peas....

and then the "LEO-POLD"

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a bit before closing a young guy comes in with an Artillery luger, needed $800 for bail money. Probably stolen.

Owner kept an open bolt Mac-10 in the back room, new clerk was showing it off to another "friend" and cocked it, then rode the bolt down, BOOM, shot right through the wall into the next store. Luckily no one hit...

Customer came in Thompson semiauto, said he got a bullet stuck in the barrel and decided to remove it by firing more. We got 10 FMJs hammered out of the barrel...

Countless others coming in with rifles or shotguns with a round in the chamber, safety off, and totally shocked when we took the weapon away (usually after it was pointed at our guts) and cleared the chamber and out pops a round...

At the range one day, some SE Asian kid was sweeping his AR15 over the range, he had been warned several times by the range master. The guy next to him told him quietly "I was killing your kind in 1960, and damn well can start again." The kid was offended (LOL) and got up to leave, all the time eyeing the old Marine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is one of my favorites, he frequents this site, shoots a 300 weatherby in Remington 700 sendero. He shoots "dimes" at 200 yards free handed. I have more than asked to see that shooting. The guys I know that have personally seen him shoot, tell me he shoots "baseballs" at 100 yards off a rest. Maybe he shoots better at 200. When he loads his shells, he will tell anyone they are an idiot if they are faster than him, it takes him 3 or 4 hours or something stupid to load one round. Guess that is why he shoots the proverbial "dime" at 200 yards free handed. I could go on and on with his laughable, comical, know it all opinions on guns and especially his handgun accuracy.

Last edited by headhunter130; 09/02/16.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
then there is my female cousins boyfriend. we will all be sitting around talking about our current favorite weapons and he will be on his iphone, quiet for a while ,then start popping off with something about some exotic round, firearm, body armor etc. sounds like a genius. barely knows how to hold a rifle. we dubbed him GOOGLE.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was always afraid he would bump his head and lose that one IQ point that separated him from the carrots and peas....

laugh laugh laugh

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember working the butts in boot camp. The sonic crack of bullets passing a couple of feet over your head leaves an impression.

TV and movie folks that think that high-powered rifles can be easily silenced with a silencer should spend five minutes in the butts.

One time I worked the butts for a city kid on the firing line that was afraid of the M-14. My arms were getting tired from waving "Maggie's Drawers". Didn't see any snakes, though.

You Marines know what I am talking about.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 09/02/16.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd forgotten about it since it was so long, ago, but while in college I worked part time in a gun shop, just for a couple months. It was in a large shopping mall in town (the only one) and one day close to Christmas it was quite busy. It was not a very big shop, so any conversation could be heard throughout the store.

One big black guy, who might have been a college football player, is walking around the store, and says out loud, "I'd like to kill somebody sometime, just to see what it feels like."

A hush goes through the crowd, and multiple people turn their heads to look at this guy. Behind the counter is an off-duty Texas State Trooper named Doug, who was a nice guy but could pretty much pass for a Marine DI. After a couple seconds, Doug says, "Have you considered suicide?" Everyone in the store busts up laughing.

The black guy, flinches, looks down, then grins and looks at Doug and says, "okay, I deserved that." After that they chatted a while, and Doug showed him a couple of pistols. So his wit defused something that could have been ugly.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Obviously I wasn't there so don't know the context of the situation, but even after the discomfort was "defused" I still don't think I would have shown him any guns after making a comment like that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I worked out at the rifle range we had a coffee can full of casings that had obviously been run through the wrong caliber rifle. It really makes you wonder some times. The lack of firearms safety displayed by guys who should have definitely known better always amazed me.

After deer season, the range was only open on the weekends, and with just a person manning the office, who would make the rounds every hour and check on the clay pigeon range, the handgun range and the rifle range. I was working on Sunday, and had two older fellers shooting up on the rifle range. I was keeping an eye on them through the closed circuit camera and I noticed I hadn't seen the one guy in a half hour or so. He hadn't come to the office, or gone down to the parking lot to use the biffy or get anything out of his car. I figured I'd better go up and check on him. I get up to the range shack, and the one guy's down on his rifle, lining up a shot. I asked him "where's your buddy?" He told me he was out behind the target butts. This guy would shoot, and he'd come out to check his shot! Sometimes you just can't unteach stupid.

Well, when I was in the USN and we had to qualify with the M-1 in boot camp up at Pendleton, the targets were manned by another unit in the pits below.. One guy took a ricochet right off his helmet.. Left a nice dent..

This was back in Jan. of '67.. Wonder if they still do it that way?

Same in '67 at Ft. Polk, LA.

Tall round metal culvert type pipe sections buried vertical w/metal ladders attached to inside wall, mostly puddles of water/mud bottom.

Kind of cool watching ricochet tracer rounds sizzle and burn out in the dirt and mud puddles around outside pit.
More scary than cool when one bounced inside.

Got a bit intense for a few minutes once for one young trainee soon after starting his turn down inside the pits. Pygmy rattler in the bottom and bullets flying over his head.

Sounds pretty exciting. Did that happen to you or did you find it in Webster's under the definition for caught between a rock and a hard place?

Every military range I've seen recently has been popups but the private range I go to has pits for the 1000..

Nope, not me per the snake ordeal. Happened to another young trainee on down the firing line. Snake wasn't there earlier. After chow it was. Had to of fell down inside between shifts. I didn't see it all go down with my own eyes. Couldn't have as I was inside another pit back toward the other end. I was told about it later by fellow trainees who were up on the fireline when it happened that did.

Going on 50 years ago now (summer of '67) but to the best of my memory that was the only rifle range I remember working the pits. I do recall shooting at some pop-up ranges at both Ft. Polk and Ft. Knox too.

FT Polk also had pits, at least the year I won the LA service rifle match it did.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I remember working the butts in boot camp. The sonic crack of bullets passing a couple of feet over your head leaves an impression.

TV and movie folks that think that high-powered rifles can be easily silenced with a silencer should spend five minutes in the butts.

One time I worked the butts for a city kid on the firing line that was afraid of the M-14. My arms were getting tired from waving "Maggie's Drawers". Didn't see any snakes, though.

You Marines know what I am talking about.

I know exactly what you're talking about although I was in the Army. At Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, the first time my squad and I were down in the KD pits pulling and scoring targets, the SNAP of those .30-06 (Garand) bullets passing overhead were, uhhh, interesting, to say the least.

Later, we got used to it. Fifty soldiers on the ling firing Garands made it sound like popcorn popping down in the pits. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"What grain bullet should I use?"

I've heard, "Up the grainage", referring to increasing the powder charge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 72 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,408
Posts18,506,990
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.