Hop To
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I remember working the butts in boot camp. The sonic crack of bullets passing a couple of feet over your head leaves an impression.

TV and movie folks that think that high-powered rifles can be easily silenced with a silencer should spend five minutes in the butts.

One time I worked the butts for a city kid on the firing line that was afraid of the M-14. My arms were getting tired from waving "Maggie's Drawers". Didn't see any snakes, though.

You Marines know what I am talking about.

I know exactly what you're talking about although I was in the Army. At Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, the first time my squad and I were down in the KD pits pulling and scoring targets, the SNAP of those .30-06 (Garand) bullets passing overhead were, uhhh, interesting, to say the least.

Later, we got used to it. Fifty soldiers on the ling firing Garands made it sound like popcorn popping down in the pits. grin

L.W.

Try 250 firing spots at Perry at once, Viale, Rodriguez both firing at the same time in rapids... that was what we said popcorn...

Impact into Lake Erie... CG had tough time keeping boats out at times, the impacting bullets supposedly looking like schooling fish on top...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just discovered a good explanation of "Maggie's Drawers" and where the term actually came from on The Southwest Rifle Shooting Blog:

The History of "Maggie's Drawers" by Hap Rocketto

"As you so well know from your days at the Recruit Depot the term Maggie’s Drawers refers to the red flag waved vigorously across the face of the target to signify a complete miss of the target during practice.

Flags are no longer used, being replaced by value panels and chalk boards. However, one term from the flag days has held on with a tenacity that is indicative of the strong traditions of the high power community. If a shooter had the misfortune of firing a miss a red flag was waved across the front of the target. The flag is commonly known as “Maggie’s Drawers” giving us the term now generally used to refer to a miss.

I thought you might like to see this poem by James Stockton, a gunner with C Co., 5thTank Battalion, 5thMarDiv on Iwo Jima (WW-II).

"Maggie’s Drawers"

A hundred Marines sat on the line,

Rapid fire, and all was fine.

The rifles cracked, Bull's Eyes, we know;

Down came the targets, now they'll show.

White spotters adorned targets left and right,

Looked like snow, a pretty sight.

But Wait!!!! What's that where I shot?

Not a single one! . . . not one white spot.

I look for black ones 'round the "bull,"

No luck there either, I feel a chill.

They start the disks, white for bulls,

None for mine . . . there they were still.

A single pole rose o'er the butts

Waved back and forth, like in a rut.

A red flag waving, a miss of course,

And that red flag is "Maggie's Drawers."

The term Maggie’s Drawers seems to be based on, as many things are in the military, a bawdy song. Prior to The Great War (WW-1) there was an old music hall song entitled "The Old Red Flannel Drawers That Maggie Wore" which became bowdlerized, as things tend to be by the troops, into something less delicate than might have been sung in vaudeville in the United States or in British music Halls of the day? Below you will find a variant.

"The Old Red Flannel Drawers That Maggie Wore"

On the night that Maggie died
she called me to her side
and gave me those good old flannels

They were tattered, they were torn,
'Round the [bleep] they were worn.
Those old red flannel drawers that Maggie wore.

When she stooped to fix her shoe
You could see her ring-dang-doo

When she stooped to fix her lace
You could see the promised place

When she stooped to fix her garter
You could see her red tomato

When she threw them in the sea
They came floating back to me

While I have no definitive proof that this is the origin of the term I feel it is as rational and as reasonable a source as any. As I have not heard of a competing story I feel pretty comfortable supporting this Etymology of the term.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You mean you haven't sold anyone a side by each, or a side by twixt, a mouser or one of them there moisten nuggets?

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by headhunter130
This is one of my favorites, he frequents this site, shoots a 300 weatherby in Remington 700 sendero. He shoots "dimes" at 200 yards free handed. I have more than asked to see that shooting. The guys I know that have personally seen him shoot, tell me he shoots "baseballs" at 100 yards off a rest. Maybe he shoots better at 200. When he loads his shells, he will tell anyone they are an idiot if they are faster than him, it takes him 3 or 4 hours or something stupid to load one round. Guess that is why he shoots the proverbial "dime" at 200 yards free handed. I could go on and on with his laughable, comical, know it all opinions on guns and especially his handgun accuracy.

Sounds like our old friend "Larry Root"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by htredneck
...... or one of them there moisten nuggets?

moisten nuggets!!! LMAO...

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Pittu
Originally Posted by htredneck
...... or one of them there moisten nuggets?

moisten nuggets!!! LMAO...

Glad to see my old coworker and I are not the only ones who delight in using that term!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Man I love this thread...stuff a gifted storyteller couldn't make up. Not so amazing that the MSM can say crap that would have most of us saying WTF while shaping the opinion of the non-shooting community.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like many here have actually been within a mm or so of death.

1Minute
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've told this one before here, but it deserves another:

25 years ago the then head of marketing at Swarovski told me he'd often visit stores that sold a lot of Swarovski scopes, but not tell them who he was just to get some honest feed-back.

Apparently Swarovskis first became popular in the Southeast, because of the really bright view, and a shop in Birmingham, Alabama was selling more than any other store in America. My buddy dropped in one day and wandered back to the optics counter. A big 'ol boy was standing behind it, and my friend pointed the Swarovski scopes on display under the glass, saying: "You sell many of these expensive scopes?

The guy said, "Yeah, we sell a bunch of them Sooverwhoskis!"

My friend said, "I believe it's pronounced Swar-off-ski."

The ol' boy said, "Not in Alabama!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB: glad you checked in..

There was a time when JB didn't completely believe the stories I told him about the gun counter..

But one day he was there and we were conversing when a customer came up, holding up a bullet " I need some of these, Im doing some reloading".

What calibre is it? " Don't know"

Who made it? " Don't Know"

Whats the grain weight? " Don't know"

Thats when I shot the glance at JB, with the obvious " You see!" overtone to it.

True story.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by westside_benny

Brings up the timeless debate. If an AR-15 is gas operated would an AR-10 run on diesel?

OF COURSE... and nuke subs run on ???

Nuke subs run on propane they filter from sea water. That is how the can stay down so long.

We need to swap subs over to methane from propane and then trench in some pipelines from big pork, dairy, and beef producers and send all that methane into the ocean and have free fuel.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I remember working the butts in boot camp. The sonic crack of bullets passing a couple of feet over your head leaves an impression.

TV and movie folks that think that high-powered rifles can be easily silenced with a silencer should spend five minutes in the butts.

One time I worked the butts for a city kid on the firing line that was afraid of the M-14. My arms were getting tired from waving "Maggie's Drawers". Didn't see any snakes, though.

You Marines know what I am talking about.

I know exactly what you're talking about although I was in the Army. At Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, the first time my squad and I were down in the KD pits pulling and scoring targets, the SNAP of those .30-06 (Garand) bullets passing overhead were, uhhh, interesting, to say the least.

Later, we got used to it. Fifty soldiers on the ling firing Garands made it sound like popcorn popping down in the pits. grin

L.W.

At least there was the opportunity to experience how you could (very roughly) estimate the range and direction from which the shots were coming, from the “thump” which comes after the “crack”.

We would not only work the frames up and down for the deliberate and rapid serials, and mark and patch, but also hold targets on sticks for snap and movers. The movers were the worst: holding up a plywood fig. 11 nailed to a length of 2”x1”, shuffling in a conga line along the trench, and showered with splinters and the odd nail whenever someone hit the target in the midline. Still, everyone had to take a turn.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Always loved husbands that would send there wives in with the guns they themselves had phuqued up.

Chick came in on day with a new M1A holding the bolt in her hand, "my husband and my brother were shooting this rifle they just bought downstairs and this thing fell out!!! They want their money back!"

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/02/16.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figured the reason you were upstairs was to get away from all that! grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

One I really liked happened with Dave. A young guy came stomping into the gun section, one hand clenched in a fist. He saw Dave behind the counter and held out the fist, then opened it to reveal an expanded bullet. "Your recommended this POS Nosler Partition to me for elk!"

Dave looked at the bullet and said, "Yeah, I did. One-eighty .30's if I recall correctly."

The young guy almost shouted, "I shot a bull and it went 20 yards before falling over! And the damn bullet didn't even exit!" He lifted his palm under Dave's nose, apparently to prove his point.

Dave looked at the bullet very carefully, then said matter-of-factly, "Looks like perfect performance to me."

Whereupon the young guy went stomping out again, mumbling something else about never coming back in the store ever again. Dave looked at me, smiled and shrugged.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not at the gun store, but at a bbq a cousin-in-law who was in the marines for a short time informed me that if a 50bmg round got even within a couple feet of your head, it would blow your head clean off.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by mudhen
I figured the reason you were upstairs was to get away from all that! grin

Well it didn't work, Ben!!! laugh

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Years ago some guy came in to return one of them big Sharon Tate commemorative Buck knives (General?). Said when he bought it the sales person told him it was a "gutless" knife!

Always wondered what that mess looked like????

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've told this one before here, but it deserves another:

25 years ago the then head of marketing at Swarovski told me he'd often visit stores that sold a lot of Swarovski scopes, but not tell them who he was just to get some honest feed-back.

Apparently Swarovskis first became popular in the Southeast, because of the really bright view, and a shop in Birmingham, Alabama was selling more than any other store in America. My buddy dropped in one day and wandered back to the optics counter. A big 'ol boy was standing behind it, and my friend pointed the Swarovski scopes on display under the glass, saying: "You sell many of these expensive scopes?

The guy said, "Yeah, we sell a bunch of them Sooverwhoskis!"

My friend said, "I believe it's pronounced Swar-off-ski."

The ol' boy said, "Not in Alabama!"

That same shop would give you a great deal on one of those "Stire Man-licker" rifles to put under that scope. The Steyr importer was in a Birmingham suburb. Lots of Bubbas running around the swamps with fine Austrian equipment.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I believe I've told the story here of the old black man (and I mean old! Had white hair) that came in asking for a box of .32's for his revolver. When he was asked if he needed .32 longs or shorts he replied, "jez gives me da long ones, I jez snips dem off til they fits!"

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/03/16.

Founder

WS

Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,378
Posts18,506,655
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.