Campfire Tracker
W
That there, is some gonesmithing attributes, he has

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I believe I've told the story here of the old black man (and I mean old! Had white hair) that came in asking for a box of .32's for his revolver. When he was asked if he needed .32 longs or shorts he replied, "jez gives me da long ones, I jez snips dem off til they fits!"

Probably a fine old gentleman that never shot anyone that didn't need shooting.......

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

One I really liked happened with Dave. A young guy came stomping into the gun section, one hand clenched in a fist. He saw Dave behind the counter and held out the fist, then opened it to reveal an expanded bullet. "Your recommended this POS Nosler Partition to me for elk!"

Dave looked at the bullet and said, "Yeah, I did. One-eighty .30's if I recall correctly."

The young guy almost shouted, "I shot a bull and it went 20 yards before falling over! And the damn bullet didn't even exit!" He lifted his palm under Dave's nose, apparently to prove his point.

Dave looked at the bullet very carefully, then said matter-of-factly, "Looks like perfect performance to me."

Whereupon the young guy went stomping out again, mumbling something else about never coming back in the store ever again. Dave looked at me, smiled and shrugged.

If it had exited he would have bitched that it "penciled on through..."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by slm9s
Not at the gun store, but at a bbq a cousin-in-law who was in the marines for a short time informed me that if a 50bmg round got even within a couple feet of your head, it would blow your head clean off.

Didn't the 223 Remington (5.56mm) just blow off Viet Cong arms if it hit one? Believe it or not, I was told this by a guy I once worked with (he was an administrative sort in he Army, no combat).

Last edited by djs; 09/03/16.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

How about wanting two scopes on their rifle? One for close shots and one for long range! Yup!

This really isnt anything odd...and is fairly common.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad

How about wanting two scopes on their rifle? One for close shots and one for long range! Yup!

This really isnt anything odd...and is fairly common.
m

Sounds like a modern tacticool AR-15.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I remember working the butts in boot camp. The sonic crack of bullets passing a couple of feet over your head leaves an impression.

TV and movie folks that think that high-powered rifles can be easily silenced with a silencer should spend five minutes in the butts.

One time I worked the butts for a city kid on the firing line that was afraid of the M-14. My arms were getting tired from waving "Maggie's Drawers". Didn't see any snakes, though.

You Marines know what I am talking about.

I know exactly what you're talking about although I was in the Army. At Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, the first time my squad and I were down in the KD pits pulling and scoring targets, the SNAP of those .30-06 (Garand) bullets passing overhead were, uhhh, interesting, to say the least.

Later, we got used to it. Fifty soldiers on the ling firing Garands made it sound like popcorn popping down in the pits. grin

L.W.

At least there was the opportunity to experience how you could (very roughly) estimate the range and direction from which the shots were coming, from the “thump” which comes after the “crack”.

We would not only work the frames up and down for the deliberate and rapid serials, and mark and patch, but also hold targets on sticks for snap and movers. The movers were the worst: holding up a plywood fig. 11 nailed to a length of 2”x1”, shuffling in a conga line along the trench, and showered with splinters and the odd nail whenever someone hit the target in the midline. Still, everyone had to take a turn.

We had a match held once, after a big match, silhouette target, on a stick. At 300 you engaged from sitting, they'd run it up, walk/trot it down X number of targets, and then yank it. You had to flip it 90 degrees to pull it down between frames..

You were allowed a coach... my first iron sight shots were followed with favor left half. Good. I continued to fire, swapped mags in the AR, and fired and they had a tiny issue at the end, as I fired a shot I saw the target stop and rotate, and I just went back to center mass and fired one more as it was trying to go down and it just went away..

They called back out of the pit... target repair... evidently I'd shot the stick enough, and the last shot they said centered the stick again.... sideways, as they tried to pull it, said it just fell then...

As I recall they had something smaller than a 2x2 more along the lines of 1x2 surveying type lathe to hold it up....

Blind pigs. Better than skill any old day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slm9s
Not at the gun store, but at a bbq a cousin-in-law who was in the marines for a short time informed me that if a 50bmg round got even within a couple feet of your head, it would blow your head clean off.

One of the longest trailing jobs i've had in the last say 15 or so years, was a doe shot in both lungs and dang well centered, wiht 50 bmg ball at about 200ish yards.

NEver bled until where she fell. Half inch hole in both lungs.

LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Anybody who has ever worked in a gun shop knows you see/hear some wild sh*t on a regular basis. In my 22+ years I've seen some doozies. Yesterday a black fellow came in and asked for a box of ".41 bullets". ".41 Magnum?" I asked, to which he replied "Yeah." I handed him a box of 210 gr Gold Dots and sent him on his way. He came back today and said "Them bullets was too big." "What kind of gun is it?" I asked, thinking there was a remote chance he had a .41 Colt of some sort. He said "It looks like one of them cowboy guns." So I'm thinking, "Yeah, it must be an old SAA." "Bring it in so I can see what you have because if it's a .41 Long Colt, ammo is about $75 a box." He reluctantly went out to his car and came back a minute later with a 6 1/2" barreled Ruger Blackhawk that was clearly stamped .41 Magnum, but with, get this, a 9mm cylinder in it. I said, "You do realize this is a 9mm cylinder in a .41 frame don't you?" He looked at me cockeyed and said "Ok, give me a box of 9s." Trying to make him understand the situation was like trying to explain advanced calculus to me. I'm quite sure the gun was as hot as a firecracker and when he was distracted I jotted the serial number down and later gave it to a cop buddy to check out, along with his tag number. I figured somewhere out there, there is a .357/9mm convertible Blackhawk with a .41 cylinder in it...

I didn't know they made a 9mm revolver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
When I worked part time in a gun shop while going to school
we kept a started pistol by the phone. When a call game in asking a really stupid gun question the person taking the call then pickup the starter pistol and fire it into the phone. The shot would be a cue for another employee to grab the phone....Asking "What did you ask him"...he shot himself. As always they believed the employee did shoot himself and hung up.

The most common question was " Where do you put the gas in a Rem model 1100 since they read the gun was gas operated!

Doc

smile smile

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barkoff,

Ruger sells some that are .357 Mag with an extra cylinder for 9mm. That gives you an option for cheaper ammo for plinking or targets.
That cylinder for sure was from a different gun than what the guy carried into the store, though.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That firearm has a beautiful patina, how much you want for her?

Originally Posted by tedthorn
A young lady dropped by my shop and asked if I could fix her handgun.

She had been shooting one day and forgot it inside her open truck bed....for about 3 weeks

I looked it over and told her she had been rewarded a $400 lesson in responsibility

I offered her $50 for it but sent her on her way..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that thread was fun, that settles it, Hillary has my vote,

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No, Smith & Wesson also makes/has made a few models chambered in 9mm. Jerry Miculek just recently used one to bust a balloon at 1,000 yards.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dadgumit Bark, I don't wanna pick on ya, but in the tread with this title??
TFF. smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Then there is the dipshit on facebook who gave primer advice to a guy wondering about changing primers. He said the magnums blew thru the powder column and burned from the front. He didn't care for my questions, and even another guy stuck up for him trying to make it sound like he knew what he was doing. He had been loading for 40 years and knew what he was talking about. smile

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HilhamHawk,

I forgot Smith 9mm guns. There are probably a few others out there, too. Don't think anyone but Ruger made interchangeable ones, though.

I never could understand why anyone in their right mind would buy one, other than the interchangeable cylinder ones that allowed cheaper ammo for practice.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HilhamHawk,

"Smith & Wesson also makes/has made a few models chambered in 9mm."

As well as the Blackhawk interchangeables, Ruger also made some in the Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speedsix models. I may be wrong, but I think there have been some in their LCR, SP101, and GP100 models also.

Myron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Dadgumit Bark, I don't wanna pick on ya, but in the tread with this title??
TFF. smile

Should I go with a dual frequency or CHIRP unit?

[Linked Image]

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

That firearm has a beautiful patina, how much you want for her?

Originally Posted by tedthorn
A young lady dropped by my shop and asked if I could fix her handgun.

She had been shooting one day and forgot it inside her open truck bed....for about 3 weeks

I looked it over and told her she had been rewarded a $400 lesson in responsibility

I offered her $50 for it but sent her on her way..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"That firearm has a beautiful patina, how much you want for her?"

A new form of color-case hardening? Turnbull must have done the work! smile

Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,360
Posts18,506,334
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.