A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by speedsixman
HilhamHawk,

"Smith & Wesson also makes/has made a few models chambered in 9mm."

As well as the Blackhawk interchangeables, Ruger also made some in the Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speedsix models. I may be wrong, but I think there have been some in their LCR, SP101, and GP100 models also.

Myron

I think the Ruger Six-series revolvers were chambered in 9mm for use in different countries's police forces where that is the standard issue. I also believe the SP101s were and now the LCR are marketed as a backup gun for law enforcement who are issued 9mm service weapons.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Aqualung,

"I think the Ruger Six-series revolvers were chambered in 9mm for use in different countries's police forces where that is the standard issue."

Yes, and most were available to the civilian market also.

There are also some guns that are made in odd calibers for sale to civilians in countries that are not allowed to own a handgun chambered for ammunition that their military uses.

One of the oddballs I saw was a Ruger P85 chambered in 9mm Largo. The Largo is a 9x23 cartridge but for sure no 9mm magnum. It is loaded a lot milder than our regular 9x19. It was intended for civilian sale in France where the military restriction applied. Makes no sense to me, but I didn't make the rules.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No sheit. I heard about a guy in Montana that tried to run 22-250 ammo through a 7-08.

True story. They type among us.

Or buddies who blow up guns........

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No sheit. I heard about a guy in Montana that tried to run 22-250 ammo through a 7-08.

True story. They type among us.

Or buddies who blow up guns........

My feeling is that this behaviour should be encouraged as it leaves less competition for resources for the rest of us.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
One of my favorites was guys coming in the store to ask for "bullet heads". Or sometimes "bullet tips". Usually an explanation was met with "Yeah well I call them bullet heads."

Another pet peeve of mine is "grain weight". Does your doctor talk to you about your "pound weight"?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gun store but similar. A few years ago I was working as the cashier at our local gun club. Very late on a Saturday afternoon just before the Monday opening for deer, shotgun only area. Got a call from LGS owner saying a call had come in from someone who had purchased a new shotgun from them, and the guy was at his deer camp a couple of hours drive away. He had run through all the slugs he had bought and couldn't get the scope sighted in. Would they keep the store open until he could drive in to buy more shells? No they said but they could send some to our club the next morning for him to pick up.

Next morning the LGS gun shop owners son brought in the ammo and the hunter showed up with his gun. We looked it over, checked the mounting screws for tightness, etc., and could not find anything wrong. After sitting staring at it for a minute or two I finally realized the scope was mounted 1/4 turn off so the adjustments were reversed.

After taking the scope off and correcting the mounting I took to our range and checked the sight in where it worked beautifully. (Note: The scope had been mounted by the owner not the gun shop.) I thought he was going to kiss me before he left to go deer hunting.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering
One of my favorites was guys coming in the store to ask for "bullet heads". Or sometimes "bullet tips". Usually an explanation was met with "Yeah well I call them bullet heads."

Another pet peeve of mine is "grain weight". Does your doctor talk to you about your "pound weight"?

I've heard the "bullet tips" around here quite a few times.

While not in a gun store, I have noticed something at the range several times the past couple of years and I want to scream every time it happens....Happened last week again when I took my uncle, who is on crutches at the moment, to line up his new squirrel gun.

I can remember 4 times for sure, maybe more, where some guy beside me at the range is lining up their hunting rifle. Well, they're about 8 inches off from the bullseye (100 yards). Instead of adjusting the damn scope they just call it good and say "I'll just hold to the left" or whatever. This blows my mind that people are either too scared, lazy or dumb to adjust a friggin' scope.

Last edited by Holston; 09/04/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Not a gun store but similar. A few years ago I was working as the cashier at our local gun club. Very late on a Saturday afternoon just before the Monday opening for deer, shotgun only area. Got a call from LGS owner saying a call had come in from someone who had purchased a new shotgun from them, and the guy was at his deer camp a couple of hours drive away. He had run through all the slugs he had bought and couldn't get the scope sighted in. Would they keep the store open until he could drive in to buy more shells? No they said but they could send some to our club the next morning for him to pick up.

Next morning the LGS gun shop owners son brought in the ammo and the hunter showed up with his gun. We looked it over, checked the mounting screws for tightness, etc., and could not find anything wrong. After sitting staring at it for a minute or two I finally realized the scope was mounted 1/4 turn off so the adjustments were reversed.

After taking the scope off and correcting the mounting I took to our range and checked the sight in where it worked beautifully. (Note: The scope had been mounted by the owner not the gun shop.) I thought he was going to kiss me before he left to go deer hunting.

Jim
We had a few of those show up at the rifle range. If we had time we'd remount the scope, if we were busy, we just figured out the conversion and just sighted the darned thing with instructions to fix it after deer season.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took the kids to Bass Pro the other night and went to the gun counter so my 9 year old daughter could handle several of the youth rifles to see which fit her best. She has a birthday coming up and want's a deer rifle of her own. After trying several she liked the Ruger American Compact the best. I asked if they had it in 223? He sneered and told me I needed to get her a 270 like he started with at 8 years old and 60 lbs. My daughter is rail thin with tiny bone structure and cant even hold up her sister's H&R 243 long enough to aim it. I explained that I needed s 223 due to the recoil/muzzle blast issue. He laughed and then told me that a 243 is not really a deer rifle, much less a 223. I laid the gun on the counter and took the kids and we walked off without another word. My daughter turned to me and asked. "Was that man right daddy?". I said, "No sweetie, that man was a dumbass."

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Took the kids to Bass Pro the other night and went to the gun counter so my 9 year old daughter could handle several of the youth rifles to see which fit her best. She has a birthday coming up and want's a deer rifle of her own. After trying several she liked the Ruger American Compact the best. I asked if they had it in 223? He sneered and told me I needed to get her a 270 like he started with at 8 years old and 60 lbs. My daughter is rail thin with tiny bone structure and cant even hold up her sister's H&R 243 long enough to aim it. I explained that I needed s 223 due to the recoil/muzzle blast issue. He laughed and then told me that a 243 is not really a deer rifle, much less a 223. I laid the gun on the counter and took the kids and we walked off without another word. My daughter turned to me and asked. "Was that man right daddy?". I said, "No sweetie, that man was a dumbass."

Good thing you weren't in Texas, would've probably been told you needed a .30-06... Dumbasses!!

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Good enough for the military, but not good enough to kill a hundred# deer.

"do not duplicate"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TXRam

Good thing you weren't in Texas, would've probably been told you needed a .30-06... Dumbasses!!

I thought the .223 was the Official Deer Gun of Texas! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering

Not to mention the guys that refer to bullets as "pills". You even see that on gun boards, including this one. whistle

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's when you go and find the manager and let him know what just went down. I was in a Walmart one day and the same type of situation happened. When I butted in and told the customer the sales person was wrong he walked out. I turned around and there was a very pretty lady standing there. It turns out she was the store manager and offered me a job.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I have taken a mule deer with a 22 hornet at 240 yards. He was not nearly as smart and a dumbass.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by TXRam

I thought the .223 was the Official Deer Gun of Texas! grin

Well.. Not for the "really smart" ones... Haha! Had one tell me the 270win wasn't enough for South Texas whitetails, need a .30-06 to get a good blood trail. So you guys with .223's, .243's, bows and arrows and stuff are outta luck...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scott F

I have taken a mule deer with a 22 hornet at 240 yards. He was not nearly as smart and a dumbass.

Anything at 240 yards with a 22 hornet is reason enough to spruik to all and sundry...heck, I would drive into town and tell strangers of it.

Good shooting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
know a guy here that killed a nilgia at almost 200 yrds with a 220 swift and the nilgia was running, one shot kill.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
know a guy here that killed a nilgia at almost 200 yrds with a 220 swift and the nilgia was running, one shot kill.

We have all taken arsey shots, but over 200 yards with a hornet takes more than arse.

added, and anyone that tells you different hasn't used one.

Last edited by JSTUART; 09/05/16.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well another dumbass here, but I gotta speak. Here in Michigan they now have youth deer seasons. I watch videos of children in their blinds, on daddy's lap, him helping hold gun , and helping them pull trigger. Used to be they had to be 14 to deer hunt. If a child isn't old or big enough to handle a gun- they shouldn't be. Oh yea, .223 plenty big.

Last edited by 19rabbit52; 09/05/16.
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,258
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.