-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I'm down here in Kiwiland (south island only) for a couple of weeks to visit the FIL for his 80th birthday. Moslty in the Invercargill area, but will making a tour of the northern end of the island at the end of the trip. Doing a loop from Christchurch to Nelson and back. Staying a couple of nights in Nelson. Any tips on must-do's or must see's? I'd be willing to help eradicate local vermin too.

Lars from Alaska

GB1

M
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm down here in Kiwiland (south island only) for a couple of weeks to visit the FIL for his 80th birthday. Moslty in the Invercargill area, but will making a tour of the northern end of the island at the end of the trip. Doing a loop from Christchurch to Nelson and back. Staying a couple of nights in Nelson. Any tips on must-do's or must see's? I'd be willing to help eradicate local vermin too.

Lars from Alaska

Hi Mate, When are you olanning to do your "loop" I am in Nelson.
What type of thing do you want to see? If youare coming from Christchurch I would suggest coming up the east coast on the way to Nelson then returning to Christchurch via the center route over the lewis Pass. If you have more than a couple of days in Nelson then the Able Tasman National Park is definitly worth a visit and yu can do day trips into the park via water taxi for not too much $$

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Hey Lars, try the forum: 'What little pesties did you bowl over today?' On this Kiwi hunting and shooting website:

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/forum.php

Also the forum: 'Hunting' on the same website if you want to go deer hunting.

There's a few South Island boys on there that should see you right.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you drive north along the coast to Kaikoura you can get out and look at seals on some ledges just below you. If you drop a small pebble onto one you may discover that they can jump a lot higher than you would think, and that they have very bad fish breath.

I missed the earthquake in Christchurch by a couple of hours that day.

I think a drive and hike out to Farewell Spit is a pretty awesome place too. You may wish to visit the Abel Tasman National Park as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

We'll be in Nelson the 20th and 21st. Will definately check out the park. Yep - we're doing the counterclockwise loop and checking out the hot springs on the way back south.

The spit looks cool. Similar to the Dungeness spit in Washington, which I've been out on.

Seal breath and whale breath are nothing compared to rotting whale carcasses. Ask me how I know . . .

I've got a partially torn achilles heel that I'm nursing and I'm usually wearing a special boot that prevent the heel from flexing. My 24 y.o. son is along and would be interesed in vigorous hikes or trail runs.

"Pesties" - that's a hoot. Every day I do several double takes with the local language. I'll ask someone to repeat and sometimes I can figure out what they mean and sometimes I have to ask for a clarification.
I'll have to see about creating an account on the NZ hunting and shooting site. My FIL has a problem with "pesties" at his duck lagoon. Prolly hard to catch them out during broad daylight. The ponds are tucked inside the native white pine forest and it's rather brushy.

IC B2

M
M
I would suggest a day trip up into the Able Tasman National Park.
There is a brillient water taxi service and you can walk sections of the track if you want(or not) They will drop you off an pic you up at different bays if you desire to walk between. Track is really well maintained and more like a footpath/side walk guess you Americans would call it.

http://abeltasmanseashuttles.co.nz

or these are the guys we usualy go with

http://aquataxi.co.nz

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.