Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Pentax "announces" alotta [bleep] and it all floats................

Here we go again....... [Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laffin'.

Don't be mad,that I get to see a few things.

Cut the check for the Pentax and Rule The World in absolute rightousness(just don't compare/contrast,or bubbles will burst).

Millett has some new rings/bases too.

Rock on.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Stick,

WTF has gotten into you? Straighten up or I'm going to buy a plane ticket and a case of whupa$$!

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laffin'.

Don't be mad,that I get to see a few things.

Cut the check for the Pentax and Rule The World in absolute rightousness(just don't compare/contrast,or bubbles will burst).

Millett has some new rings/bases too.

Rock on.................

You admit you've never seen the new Pentax ED's. Then you pronounce judgement on them that they're [bleep].

How foolish the bottle has made you. Drink on.....

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unfortunately what has gotten in to me,is several Pentax purchases,as have pards. Thus the inability to be impressed,on any level,other than perhaps Pentax's profit margin,upon mediocrity.

For some reason,Pentax seems an oft traveled mid-rung stepping stone,that many light upon(remember,I'm guilty,here). Unfortunately,they cost 2/3's of what truly exceptional glass does,but bring a lesser ratio of optical performance to the table as per bang to the buck. So they's a pretty good way to get bent.

Have more than a few pards who have them,in most configurations and the story is a constant,once they've seen the light. AKA: "OUCH!,that hurt".

Most guys order them,less a prior initial firsthand observation(due to locale) and the inability to compare/contrast,is a slickery slope.

What humors us all,is the notion that we's a buncha boobs in the puckerbrush,that've seen nary a thing that's "new". I reckon only guys who have visited have any concept of the amount of gear that gets R&D'd,in just comparison,as a means of quantifying merit(which is of course subjective). We all shoot Savage '06's,wearing Burris glass,in millett rings. Laffin'.

We love to laude the Soused imagery,because nitwits gobble it up and it's very humorous to lead dummies around by the nose and allow their imaginations to run wild. Bible Thumpers strike the bait with the most enthusiasm,but they don't fight very hard...but on the bright side,they is EASY to re-hook. Hold on...I gotta refill my Beer Helmet.

Buy that Plane Ticket and come learn a few things....Class is always in session...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
See?!!?

Catch and Release is a hoot!

Will not mention Pentax hasn't made anything worth a [bleep] yet,but will BBQ Crow if the newest floatsam,is THE Optical Grail.

Ooops..........................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, in essence, what you are saying is that Pentax is the Dodge/Chev/Ford trucks of binoculars? Always new and improved, but still just a new wrapper on a pile of crap. I think I understand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think they are a grand way,to pay for more than you get.

That soothes me none,but to each his own....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Am guilty of driving Toyota,myself..............

IC B3

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
let's separate the debates here for a moment ...

Are you saying that the higher end Pentax offerings are crap, or just that they are overpriced?

Are you saying that what Pentax advertises/offers is not what you really get?

Are you simply saying that they are crap, and not worth anything because they are merely a stepping stone for some on the way up to what you consider "the real deal"?

-WGM-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pentax makes NUTTIN' to brag about,in the Bino World and are overpriced to boot.

Can like some of their 35mm P&S weatherproof cameras,but they are,what they are.

I see Brother Dave just shot his Pentax bino's,just glad he didn't try and give them to one of my kids...............(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never but casually viewed through a pair or two so I can't really comment. John Barsness, a man who has been through many more bino's than any of us, thinks highly of them, so take that for what its worth.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Careful, bud, you're going E on us...

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done my own side by side comparisons ... the only thing I can't comment on is durability, as I've not had them long enough to put them thru the ringer. I have already offered up that I do not think they are as good as the binos offered by the big three (Zeiss, Leica, Swaro) ... but I have found no issues with them at all.

I scored my pair of binos from Doug at Cameraland, and got them for a very good price, ... they were less than half of what it would have cost me to pick up even a used pair of the "good stuff" ... and when I compared them to the "good stuff", they did not leave me with a feeling that I needed better glass to hunt with.

Did I like the color rendition of the others better than the Pentax? Yes, but it's not like one was "real true color" and my Pentax were making the greens look red or something ... I could/can see very clearly thru my binos with no eye strain, ... the clarity/brightness/color is very good to say the least ... the ergo could be a smidge better, but they are not uncomfortable to carry, nor are they difficult to hold and steady when I'm glassing.

Without giving a full and exhaustive review, I'll just end it saying that yes, there are better products out there ... and I'm sure that some might pay more or less than they should for any given set of binos ... but to call them "crap" just because they are not Zeiss classics (or Leica Duo/Ultravids or Swaro SLC/EL) is silly ... I liken that to calling a "semi-custom" built on a remington action a POS because you could have built it around a Nesika, Predator, etc... just doesn't make sense to me ..

-WGM-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JB has my respect,he likes Burris too.

You couldn't run fast enough to catch me,to hand me a FREE Pentax or Burris product.

Have had quite a few,of each and learnt a thing or 3.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You'll figure it out,after time................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you like them. I've heard very similiar sentiments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
let's separate the debates here for a moment ...

Are you saying that the higher end Pentax offerings are crap, or just that they are overpriced?

Are you saying that what Pentax advertises/offers is not what you really get?

Are you simply saying that they are crap, and not worth anything because they are merely a stepping stone for some on the way up to what you consider "the real deal"?

Here's what he's really saying....

Hi, I'm Larry, I'm a raging alcoholic who talks out my azz. I've never seen nor heard of the aformentioned new binoculars but felt compelled to call them [bleep] just because my ego wasn't getting stroked enough today. I frequently post pics of all my overpriced binoculars and guns to make me feel better for spending sooo much of my family's money on useless crap.

I used to be a much better person before the bottle started drinking me. Now I just sit alone and drink while making a complete azz of myself on the Internet.....

There, That about sums up Larry.....

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is gonna get UGLY real fast me thinks.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 62 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,908
Posts18,518,624
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.