Print Thread
Hop To
T
tm7554 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
So I've got a load I'm happy with. 200AB set .025" off the lands. Here is my issue and I can't figure this out. If I put three down into the magazine and one in the chamber......all feeds well and fine. Flawless. However, if I fire that round in the tube, the next round will get jammed. As long as I don't fire the gun, it will cleanly feed all four rounds. But fire it and it will jam round three. If I only load 2 in the chamber and fire it its fine. I think there may be a spring/follower issue. Anyone run into this?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I don't get having one in the chamber and three down.

What's your load and speed? Handloads I assume?

One suggestion is to get your hands on some 600 Emery and polish the underside feed rails. Nearly every rifle can benefit from that. Ditto the feedramp.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Recoil is rearranging things in the box and causing the rounds and/or follower/spring to shift so that things aren't lined up the same in live fire.

It needs attention. Maybe you can do it yourself.

Like Brad says who need 4 anyway?

WSM's tend to suck anyway when it comes to function. Ive cursed them more than rifles chambered for anything else.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/11/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
tm7554 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Brad
I guess I don't get having one in the chamber and three down.

What's your load and speed? Handloads I assume?

One suggestion is to get your hands on some 600 Emery and polish the underside feed rails. Nearly every rifle can benefit from that. Ditto the feedramp.

Brad thanks for the emery cloth tip. I'll try that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Further to Brad's advice; often if you cycle rounds through your rifle a few times, you will often see scratches on the brass from those sharp under edges of the rails.....polish the rails.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brad sent you good advice. Although even after that, I would load three and chamber only after setting up on an elk. Never felt I needed more than that in reserve.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Recoil is rearranging things in the box and causing the rounds and/or follower/spring to shift so that things aren't lined up the same in live fire.

WSM's tend to suck anyway when it comes to function. Ive cursed them more than rifles chambered for anything else.

I agree with everything Bob and Brad are saying, except when you can load 3 in the magazine, you better damn well be able to load one in the chamber too. I've had the same issues with the Model 70 300 WSM's and got rid of them. They are alright if you don't mind not being able to keep a full mag and 1 in the chamber. This is a form over function scenario and I prefer rifles that function properly. Probably just me though from the sounds of it... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is the Kimber even designed to accept 3 and 1 up the spout?

Those fat WSM cartridges are no bargain when it comes to magazine stacking and flawless function.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This. Rounds moving forward in box. Feed lips and follower are the problem, no idea on the solution.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
tm7554 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
UPDATE - at the advice os some, I polished the feed rails. Filed the feed ramp lip slightly and polished with Emory cloth. Also suspected the follower spring was sliding forward allowing the rear of the follower to drop. You could see this in the stock paint with the action removed. I placed some epoxy in the front part of mag bottom to stop the spring from sliding during recoil.

At the range this morning all rounds cycled fine after firing. Appears to have worked. We'll see if the condition comes back but this gun had never picked up and racked after firing from a full mag, and now it does. Thanks for for the help Brad.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, glad it worked!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 20 invisible), 14,632 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.