Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by mathman
I think it's seventeen thousandths, which on a short action is worth approximately 10 moa in the wrong direction if you're trying to get the most out of the vertical adjustment range of the scope.

If standard mounts/rings are being used it's also a seventeen thousandths step discontinuity between front and rear ring heights that has to be made up by deflection of the scope tube over the length captured between the rings. No thanks, I'll shim for a better fit.

What's the easiest way to determine if mine has the offset?

Lay a straight edge along the holes on the top of the receiver.

Check youtube for how to bed a scope base for a R700. Easy to do.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jeffbird

To the OP,

I have a 243 of the same vintage. It shoots Barnes TTSX 80's really well, surprisingly well with IMR 4831, Lapua brass, and F210's.

fyi - check the trigger closely, it probably has two sears unless it has been replaced. This is the original Walker trigger, which has caused Remington lots and lots of trouble with unintended discharges when it is pushed into "fire." Also, the trigger has a tab, which locks the bolt in place, while on "safe." The safety has to be pushed to "fire" to cycle the bolt to unload it. Any gunsmith with any experience can grind the tab off while you wait, so the trigger can remain on safe while the rifle is unloaded. Definitely worth the effort, or just put in a Timney, Rifle Basix, or a Jewell.

Check the barrel markings for a heart symbol. Some folks claim that some of the barrels were made by Hart, but others say no. Never really saw a conclusive answer out of Remington on the question.

I have a 5 digit .243 EK date and it does have a heart symbol followed by G>. I'm debating leaving it alone or putting it in a McMillan stock with timney trigger. It is missing the rear sight, had an old waver K4 60-B on it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Save the original parts, but put it too use. Triggers and stocks swap easily enough.

Mine really shoots well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I think it's seventeen thousandths, which on a short action is worth approximately 10 moa in the wrong direction if you're trying to get the most out of the vertical adjustment range of the scope.

If standard mounts/rings are being used it's also a seventeen thousandths step discontinuity between front and rear ring heights that has to be made up by deflection of the scope tube over the length captured between the rings. No thanks, I'll shim for a better fit.

What's the easiest way to determine if mine has the offset?

I did a little looking around, and the change occurred about 1974. So it's pretty certain yours has the older offset.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Interesting. Did base/ring manufacturers ever manufacture a base specifically for the older rifles, or is it close enough that bedding the base will suffice?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting. My adl 308 has the cut. Serial # 141xxx the date code is 29 A M

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting. Did base/ring manufacturers ever manufacture a base specifically for the older rifles, or is it close enough that bedding the base will suffice?

Yes, Redfield did. There may have been others.

The Redfield base extended into the cutout on the receiver as well.

Below is a base and ring set for the receivers in this time window as used on a M40A1. Marine smiths took the Redfield base and rings and welded the rings into the base for durability. Watch ebay for the bases, they come along.

But you will do fine using any of the current bases and just bedding or adding some aluminum shims (some have been known to cut beer cans to make a shim. wink )

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Now that's pretty cool!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Remington (freedom group) sucks! I grew up with Remington, I understand the need for price point marketing but when you reduce ALL OF YOUR products to [bleep], then you get what you deserve.........eventually bankruptcy! They can cheapen there production but when you lower your barrel quality you leave no room for the consumer to fix your junk! If I need to replace a trigger, stock or bed the action that is one thing but when you leave the customer with nothing but a receiver worth keeping you are on your way OUT! Those of you like myself want to be loyal to the rifle manufacturer that you have grown up with actually view your Remington barrel through a bore scope you will agree with me that Remington has passed into the night as a quality firearm worthy of any kind of American loyalty. You can cheapen the action, stock and trigger but when you ad the junk barrel to the mix.............your done...........SAD..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gitsum
Remington (freedom group) sucks! I grew up with Remington, I understand the need for price point marketing but when you reduce ALL OF YOUR products to [bleep], then you get what you deserve.........eventually bankruptcy! They can cheapen there production but when you lower your barrel quality you leave no room for the consumer to fix your junk! If I need to replace a trigger, stock or bed the action that is one thing but when you leave the customer with nothing but a receiver worth keeping you are on your way OUT! Those of you like myself want to be loyal to the rifle manufacturer that you have grown up with actually view your Remington barrel through a bore scope you will agree with me that Remington has passed into the night as a quality firearm worthy of any kind of American loyalty. You can cheapen the action, stock and trigger but when you ad the junk barrel to the mix.............your done...........SAD..

You need to stay ahead of the curve with your Midol...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Gitsum

What in the hell are you talking about??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jason, I'm with SuperCub's suggestion. These early carbine 700's are collectible & considered by many the best of the 700 series. Your rifle appears in very good condition & I'd suggest replacing the front sight blade & leave her as is. If you want a scope, look for a Leupold M7 or early M8 4x and you would be set. JMHO

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good info, I will be looking for one now.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice find!!!!

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
I sold
this first yr 700 bdl carbine on here to somebody in 308 a few yrs back, one I should have kept!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jason280 I just happen to have an old Weaver 6x, I was going to sell.Contact me if interested. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
If you want a scope, look for a Leupold M7 or early M8 4x and you would be set. JMHO

I actually lucked into an older Leupold M8 4x, may end up using it...although I did send a PM about the Weaver 6x mentioned above.

How concerned should I be about the older style trigger? I know that the 600/660 rifles had trigger recalls, but not sure about the older 700s.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just make sure the trigger innards are clean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess is that front bead was broken and then reversed in the slot, either out of ignorance or in an attempt to create a better sight picture without replacing it.

Overall, the rifle appears to be better finished than a lot of new ones are, and not just Remingtons.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I wonder what are the chances a newer Remington bead will fit, I have a few extra sets of newer 700 Remingtion sights...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 17 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.