Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is a cool gun, I have always appreciated the machining and fitting that went into a good DA revolver. Why many of us feel we need to carry a G17 anymore to the Waffle house is more a sad commentary on the reality that segments of the population simply do react rapidly and with violence to a simple news forecast than an overarching love of plastic pistols.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
that is a cool gun, I have always appreciated the machining and fitting that went into a good DA revolver. Why many of us feel we need to carry a G17 anymore to the Waffle house is more a sad commentary on the reality that segments of the population simply do react rapidly and with violence to a simple news forecast than an overarching love of plastic pistols.
Not to mention the fact that it's just plain easier to carry a G17 than a steel K-Frame.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the 642 for Pocket carry in town.
If I am in the woods with bears, wolves, feral dogs and whatever I like 4" 629 loaded to 1200 fps with Lyman #429421 lino type bullets. Ok for meth heads to.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
With colder weather on the horizon, I was out sighting in hunting rifles, and I ran a few mags through my G30S (compact .45).

I prefer to carry a large bore revolver or semi auto when I hunt big game. Plus I find that in the winter I tend to carry a .45 more as a CCW piece.

The more I carry and shoot the G30S, the more I am impressed with it. The G19"ish" size, and 10+1 capacity, with a 13 round G21 mag as a reload makes for a decent payload.

Darn nice little .45.

[Linked Image]

It certainly won't replace my G19/17 as a year round carry gun, but as a long time .45 shooter, it is sort of a "Goldilocks" gun.

Super Cool Cold Steel pocket knife brought to you by our own RJM!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not to mention the fact that it's just plain easier to carry a G17 than a steel K-Frame.

Plus two speedloaders, to equal the firepower.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know why the 10mm has not been more widely accepted as a self defense cartridge. It's kind of a modern 38 super smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't know why the 10mm has not been more widely accepted as a self defense cartridge. It's kind of a modern 38 super smile

You shouldn't have said that bit about a modern Super. I may have to buy one now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like the 10 is more used than the Super, begging the question why the Super is not more widely used.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by whelennut
For those of us who are not in Law Enforcement.
I don't care about qualifying female agents or training costs.
Just the most power that is controllable.
I like either a 44 special or 45 acp.
This is based on the cold air theory, the more cold air that enters the body the faster something will die.
whelennut

This revived old thread made me reflect on how my thinking has evolved over the past year on this topic. If I had answered the OP's question then I would have said that a 1911 45ACP was it - and lived by that response. I would probably -as Bob did then- also have given a nod to the M1935 BHPs, which I carried sporadically then, but which now rest in the safe unless I'm headed to the range to punch paper. But, given all the events over the last 1-2 years, I've got to admit that I've refined my thinking a bit.

For EDC, a single stack 45ACP is still my practice. But now, holster time is about evenly split between a 45 Shield and a Colt LW CCO. Hard to teach old dogs completely new tricks, so still my answer to live by in this setting.

Where I've changed is that the pistol I keep close at hand at home is usually a G-30S and a spare G-21 mag. Although I live in a peaceful suburban location, multiple armed opponent scenarios for civilians seem to be more likely in home invasion settings.

I now carry a car pistol when I head to the city to work, but that BUG is a 5.56mm with an 8.5" barrel, a red dot optic, a Sig brace and 4 spare mags. Areas of concentrated population now seem to have a way of suddenly spawning violent mobs, so even hi-cap wonder 9s may not always be enough.

Just my 2 cents as I muse on the year old collective wisdom of the Campfire on a Sunday morning.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Seems like the 10 is more used than the Super, begging the question why the Super is not more widely used.

I guess it could be that the .38 Super faded away with the widespread introduction into the US market of modern handguns chambered in 9mm suitable for police service and concealed carry. Same phenomenon with the 10 disappearing after .40 S&W chambered handguns hit the market. Both can be chambered in modern guns of a more convenient size for concealed carry.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

Where I've changed is that the pistol I keep close at hand at home is usually a G-30S and a spare G-21 mag.
I thought that was an awesome choice too, even for concealed carry. Bought one a few months ago and thought it carried and concealed great, but it went back to the factory after it kept locking open with more rounds still left in the magazine. The factory tells me they checked it out, and it's fine. I just need to keep my thumb off the slide release, they say, while shooting it. I clearly don't have my thumb in contact with the slide release at any point while shooting it, however, and it still happens. No other Glock I own does this, so it's likely going down the road since Glock won't or can't fix it.

Or maybe I'll just keep sending it back till they replace it.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Things are heating up in Minnesota.
I read that St. CLOUD Mn had a stabbing incident at Crossroads Mall.
This used to be a Wonderbread college town.

My son told me that when he was visiting a friend in St Cloud
they were approached by half a dozen young men who thought it would be a good idea to play the knockout game with my 230 lb son and his friend who is bigger and has been a wrestler since five years old.

My son did not get knocked out and his friend informed the group that they would be wise to leave, which they did.

I have told my son he needs to get a carry permit ASAP.

This used to be a safe place but times have changed.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
TRH, I had that lock open problem with both of the 3" (Ultra) Kimbers I had. Multiple trips to several GSs to fix it, replaced parts, played with mags. Temporary fixes at best, then back to the same problem.

Got different explanations about the cause so I finally got rid of both. Haven't run into that particular problem with any other pistols.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
TRH, I had that lock open problem with both of the 3" (Ultra) Kimbers I had. Multiple trips to several GSs to fix it, replaced parts, played with mags. Temporary fixes at best, then back to the same problem.

Got different explanations about the cause so I finally got rid of both. Haven't run into that particular problem with any other pistols.
I have heard that if you keep sending a Glock back with the same complaint, and if on the third trip back you request a replacement firearm, they will generally comply if it's still under the one year warranty. I might give that a try.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
After we have decided what is the best handgun we will determine what is the best caliber.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Then we can move on to ammo selection.

This could take a while......grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm really liking my glock 42 for carrying...it's super thin and with approx 300 rounds through it, has not had one hiccup of any sort, all ammo it's been fed, has been fired and ejected reliably... its pretty damn accurate too.
I also am liking this +2 from HYVE, barely anymore size vs. The 6+1

Here is the 8+1

[Linked Image]

Despite all that, it would stay home and be replaced by the VP9 if I knew trouble was coming...VP9 is a helluva pistol that no,one here talks about

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/18/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nice 42. As you know, I like mine, too. What kind of laser is that? And who makes that +2.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's viridian that turns on automatically when withdrawn from holster, I had multiholsters make my an IWB that works with the laser and it has been perfect, shuts off in the holster and instant on when pulled. My feeling was in a true life or death situation, I wouldn't remember to turn laser on and hell may not have time to aim, this gives you a true point and shoot option and it's been easy to sight in and stayed zeroed thus far.

Hyve makes the +2, it's aluminum and built in usa, liggt, great quality and ez to install.. I'm wondering magguts I'd it could be 9+1?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I just heard the cop that killed the mall stabber shot and knocked him down THREE times before he stayed down for good.

I bet a J frame or even a single stack wouldn't give you that warm fuzzy feeling in that situation.

Dink

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 55 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,282
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.