Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know why. I have this hankering to buy one at a local gun store that's been sitting there for a while. I have no need of it. I recall shooting one some years back and not being totally impressed with the accuracy...but there it is.

Anyone have any experience? It's the model that has the bolt modification to the frame.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I had a CYQ marked P 38 that fed and functioned with anything I put through it. Fairly accurate too. Like to buy another one.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll have to look but I have one of the 1960s or 70s vintage guns and a matching .22 LR...

I've shot FMJs and HPs from it and it is a very good shooter with zero malfunctions...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They have a lot of features I don't like much, double-action triggers (and very bad ones, at that), heel magazine release, bassackwards safety, bad ergos all the way around.

The ones I've shot were tolerable at worst, for accuracy, but they do feel good in the mitts.

I just don't like 'em. Or Lugers, for that matter, though the machine work on Lugers is a marvel of old-school class.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They have a lot of features I don't like much, double-action triggers (and very bad ones, at that), heel magazine release, bassackwards safety, bad ergos all the way around.

The ones I've shot were tolerable at worst, for accuracy, but they do feel good in the mitts.

I just don't like 'em. Or Lugers, for that matter, though the machine work on Lugers is a marvel of old-school class.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Guess since I have shot a lot of DA revolver and had several DA Semis during my LE career I have no problem with them.

This is mine at I believe 50'...

[Linked Image]

10 yards...

[Linked Image]

Matching P38/.22 Long Rifle from the 1970s....

[Linked Image]

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd love to get one in .22lr

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They come up on GunBroker once in a while but be prepared to spend over a grand...

These had been on my bucket list for many years because somewhere back in the 70s there was a magazine article about them and just always wanted one. This one was on RoadRunner Auctions for right at a grand...

Bob

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think I need a firing pin for a P1. The one I have suddenly does not fire any longer.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The 22 Conversion Unit-if you can find one-fits on the aluminum frame but not on the steel frame.
I own only 1, a 1943 Walther-all matching. Bore is rough but plenty accurate and it has good heft and balance.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine is a war bring-back that my father picked up in WWII. Its an AC 44, so 1944 Walther production, matching serial numbers (except magazine).
I rarely shoot it, but my recollections are heavy double action, decent single action with a little creep, surprisingly accurate (single action), and lots of jams. Haven't tried to work out the jamming problem since I don't shoot it! Its an heirloom, not a carry gun.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I got my P-38 at a very good price because it was "broken"-needed a new firing pin. IIRC the pin for the P-1 is a different design, nit sure if they interchange.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a Spreewerke WWII vintage and a post war P1, they're fun. What I like about the P-38 is how different it looks and it always catches someone's attention. Both of mine were very reliable and very accurate. Triggers just kinda sucked, but those can be improved.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
article in the old shotgun news, now "firearm news" issue 21, volume 70, on WWII german handguns, which has a bunch of info on P38's.
Those post war aluminums when they first started coming into country here were priced at about 250bucks, certainly more now. There was some troubles after enough firing with the block in them if i remember right, that they were modified to solve that problem.
the post war are "lumped" as p38's, but they are different than the WWII's, and even there you will find a difference beetween who made them, as there was more than one manufacture. Some can be quite valuable, as only a few hundred were made.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
that article in firearm news and this thread made me pull a couple of p38's.
and to get to thinking.
a ac43 with the russian capture crossed sabers on the slide, dip parked as the russians were fond of doing. I hadn't noticed the very faint innitials scratched in the side of the grip. I know that man's fate in russia, given the russian's had the gun, could not have been good. They all tell stories no matter if you know them or not.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a 1944 Polish P-35 Radom (see the last issue the the Rifleman, same kind of gun), with possibly the roughest finish I've ever seen on a pistol. It had the German proofs and stamps all over the danged thing.

It is most likely the most accurate autopistol I've ever shot, to include some really nice custom pistols I've owned. If I told you how good it shot, you'd call me a liar.

I'd have to guess the fate of it's previous owner wasn't too good, either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought one years ago when they were cheap, all the ones I saw were mismatched in serial numbers, frame, slide, etc. The German armorer altered the numbers with strike outs. I have always wanted a P-38, mine was the painted aluminum framed model, circa 1961.

Found out that the frames were prone to cracking over time, Walther had to insert a steel pin in the frame to keep them going on the later ones they made. I noticed rapid aluminum frame wear on my gun, it seemed to be un-issued when I first got it. The story is that Walther originally wanted them in aluminum in the late 1930's but the Army wisely went with all steel for WW 2. After the war they went to aluminum, but then the liberal terrorist group Bader Meinhoff came about in the 1970's and the Germans had to practice more in shooting, then the guns started cracking.

I thought the gun was an interesting shooter, but mediocre accuracy, ok for combat at close range, but at 45 feet, definitely inferior to my other guns. I grease my guns up well, so the thing was jamming at 45 degrees. I have read that the Germans tend to run their stuff with little lube, on the dry side, so that may have helped in the cold, but come on, only 45 degrees? Sold it off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.