Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Want to bet on executive action on this soon?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...-make-the-nyc-bomb/ar-BBwm3UG?li=BBnbcA1

The bomb that exploded in Manhattan on Saturday contained residue of Tannerite, a legal product that's primary use is for target practice, which explode only when struck by a bullet from a high-powered rifle.

The brand-name product is defined as a "binary explosive" by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firerams and Exposives (ATF). This means it's sold in two inert pieces, said Jimmie Oxley, a chemistry professor at the University of Rhode Island, who added that it is not an explosive until the two parts are mixed.

The two separate parts are ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder, Oxley said. She added, however, that even when the two parts are mixed, it still won't explode: It still needs the impact of a bullet to go off.

Tannerite cannot be set off by a smoldering fuse, an electronic fuse, an electrical current, an open flame, impact with a hammer or even a low-velocity handgun, according to Steve Yerger, a corporate investigator for Tannerite.

It's a very stable product, he said.

The tannerite link to the Manhattan bombing came from a federal law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The point of Tennarite is for its users to easily determine whether their shot hit its intended target, Yerger said. Tannerite can be obtained in many sporting goods stores, the Associated Press reported. It's also available on the Tannerite website.

"We feel horrible that Tannerite has been associated with the bombing," Yerger said,

On its Facebook page Monday afternoon, the company said that "Tannerite Sports, like most, is now aware of the tragic events that took place in New York City and New Jersey on Saturday, September 17, 2016. The entire staff of Tannerite stands together in the abhorrence and unintended use of all products that are misused for violence and hate."

"It is unfortunate and sad to see products designed for safe and fun use in many manners to be linked to such hateful use and that innocent people are hurt in the act. Tannerite has worked directly with the FBI to help stop such events and we encourage the public to read the FBI Advisory that we developed in working with the FBI."

The ATF does not regulate the sale and distribution of the two chemicals used in Tannerite and similar products, even when sold together in binary "kits," the ATF said.

Last edited by conrad101st; 09/19/16.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I told the boys at two lgs's that "T" was not long for this world. It was one news worthy incident away from extinction.
I wonder if it was used as a secondary explosive to increase the deadly potential of the entire device? Obviously no one shot it with a high powered rifle.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/19/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it will only explode when hit by a high powered rifle, then how was it set off? Something doesn't sound right.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I suspect when they articulated it as a partial detonation, what they are implying is that he probably had the pipe bomb detonate and was hoping that would act as booster charge to set off the main tannerite charge which probably failed.

Conrad101st
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i think theres a herd of pigs in texas that would like to see it illegal.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sako76
If it will only explode when hit by a high powered rifle, then how was it set off? Something doesn't sound right.

Like I said, was it used as a secondary explosive compound just after the primary
explosion occurred? People will experiment and use stuff beyond its manufactured intent.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Did someone experiment with a third compound to mix with T. thus making it more susceptible to detonate?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We used to use a stick of dynamite to set off anfo on the farm for blowing tree stumps. Yes it (dynamite and blasting caps) was legally obtained back in the 1970's.

I think that was even inconsistent when my uncles did it, and created more of a mess than just burning the stumps with a brush pile and diesel than was warranted.

Last edited by conrad101st; 09/19/16.

Conrad101st
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm surprised that "hold my beer and watch this" type fun was ever legal to begin with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bocefish
I'm surprised that "hold my beer and watch this" type fun was ever legal to begin with.

Yeah me too

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The chief components of Tannarite are ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder.

Mixes based on these chemicals produce a whole host of common explosives that are in use the world, and are often used commercially in mines (ANFO) and is also a favourite with the terrorists around the world from the Troubles in Northern Ireland to Afghanistan.

Terrorists often use Ammonium nitrate fertiliser as the source, and although it works, its less effective than "pure" ammonium nitrate produced specifically for the task.

Typical Ammonium Nitrate based IED's need a small amount of C4/SEMTEX type explosive to get them to detonate properly.

Confining the explosive in something like a pressure cooker also helps to get the mix to detonate properly.

RE the recent bombs in NY, as Tannarite is patented, I assume it may have a few other chemicals to make it more suitable for its intended purpose,and its overall chemical signature is what has enabled the Fed's to identify it specifically....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never tried, but I have a rough plan in my head using 12 voltlightbulb, and black powder to make an electrical booster. Need to work on that one day. wink

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/19/16.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76

That's not the only way to set it off. A detonator will certainly set it off.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Funny where this world has gone. My Great-great-Grandad 'built' the duck pond I plan to shoot opening day with TNT from the hardware store, I'm guessing, and probably spiked up with their version of ANFO of the day (1930's). It's starting to fill in now and would sure be nice to recreate with similar technology.

If I thought for one second taking Tannerite out of circulation would stop even one IED domestic, or abroad, I'd get behind it. Problem is, it won't. The precursors are not that complicated. Much easier than Meth, Heroine and Cocaine to make...check youtube for recipes. Yet all of that illegal crap is everywhere?!?!?!

We NEED to start getting serious about those that walk freely on our streets before we can seriously discuss tannerite.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rem141r
i think theres a herd of pigs in texas that would like to see it illegal.

they can see any more

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is stopping tannerite going to do when acstone peroxide and tang bomb info is out there everywhere?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Funny where this world has gone. My Great-great-Grandad 'built' the duck pond I plan to shoot opening day with TNT from the hardware store, I'm guessing, and probably spiked up with their version of ANFO of the day (1930's). It's starting to fill in now and would sure be nice to recreate with similar technology.

Outdoor Life had articles back in, perhaps, the 70s or thereabouts which detail the work of the USFWS to build artificial ponds using ANFO out on the prairies to enhance waterfowl habitat. Seemed like a good idea; pictures looked.....pretty dramatic.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Making Tannerite illegal will work about as well at stopping terrorism as more gun control would be at stopping crime.
More liberal pipe dreams

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd be more than happy to not experience the Rambo wannabe fumb ducks using it at the local range any more. Just sayin' . . .

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I remember a while back there was a youtube video of a couple geniuses who packed a riding mower with some tannerite, and shot it up with an AR-15.

When it finally blew, a flying piece of the mower took off one of the shooter's feet.

Apparently It can be pretty dangerous in a confined detonation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.