Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I think I still own seven. I believe that was last count. Over the years I've probably owned an additional seven.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TomM1
I think a lot of it is Rifle vs. Headstamp. You get a particular rifle in your mind, then you find one and it happens to be an -06, then you say...no flies on the -06, already have dies, components, and so it goes home with you.

I have handloads I made for 6,7,8 -06's ago, but they still shoot good in my current ones.

Lot of truth here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
I think a lot of it is Rifle vs. Headstamp. You get a particular rifle in your mind, then you find one and it happens to be an -06, then you say...no flies on the -06, already have dies, components, and so it goes home with you.

As for my last 06 acquisition, I was looking FOR an 06 IN the Rem. M 6.
I have experienced your description with other cal/cartridges.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have owned three... The first was my grandfather's model 54 06.. I had it restocked and scoped.. For about 10 years, from the time I was 15 til I was 25, it was my main rifle for big game and much varmint shooting.. Probably the last time I shot it was maybe 10 years ago.. I need to take it out sometime soon..

The second one I owned was a model 700. I bought if from a fellow who needed $. Scoped with a Tasco, sling, hard case the price was $135. Sold it to a guy I taught school with..

The third is a post 64 model 70 that was my father in laws.. He passed in 95, I have had it ever since.. So far I have never chambered a round in it..

If I were still doing a lot of hunting in the eastern forests for whitetails, I think I would pickup a Rem. pump in 06.. But that is not likely to happen..

Since I am doing less big game hunting than 10 years ago, I doubt I purchase another 06..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got 3 now, but have owned 4 others over the years.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned easily more than a dozen, not counting those bought with an eye for profit when I was in the business as a sideline. Today, I own three.

Cousin and I bought or traded for an engraved, nicely custom stocked 1903 Springfield in the late 70s. I ended up with it. The stock is a bit to Weatherbyesque, but it is a nice rifle and it shoots. A S-I-L has his eye on it. We shall see.

In the 80s, I picked up a nicely custom stocked FN wearing the late 50s nicely tapered 24" barrel. The stock resembles the style of Brittish rifles in that the Neidner steel bitt is a half inch or so short and so is the forearm. The wood is not fancy, but it wears fine line checkering and a thin oak leaf border around the checkering. The stock maker was proud enough of his work that he placed his bench mark, an H within a diamond, just behind the pistol grip. It shot 180 interlock Light Magnums so well that I bought a large supply. I'm down to my last two boxes, so I may load for it.

The recent addition is a Grade III BAR wearing about grade IV or V wood, fine line checkering, and hand engraved in the rose and scroll pattern, with a deer and antelope head, on a silver receiver. I have owned maybe a dozen BARs over the years and most shot w ell. This one is no exception. A little heavy to tote afoot these days, but I don't do much of that anymore. All I have shot in it is 150 CoreLokt. They group really close to the magic inch.

I keep these three because they are fine rifles. Surprisingly, the recoil is gentle on all three. Gas system on the BAR and stock designs on the other two. The 1903 is padded, but I have never even been tempted to pad the FN.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned more than I can remember, most of them Rem 700's. I have 2 squirreled away for when my kids get older and bigger.
I have a Tikka SL i'm quite fond of, and my other rem 700 made a trip to Oregon and returned a 338-06.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I forgot one - an original Oberndorf Mauser sporter. Quirky deal at my lgs. Picked it up for $350 thinking it was a very nice guild gun. I figured out what I had, never shot it and sold it to a true collector of the Oberndorfs.

Last edited by OldRooster; 09/24/16.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two. An old reliable Remmington 721 and a new Browning BLR Stainless Steel TD model. A great round.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I started hunting years ago with a 30-06, but seem to use other cartridges more these days. I currently have 3 '06 bolt rifles and a M1 Garand which is more than I have in any other chambering except 22 rimfires. I've been asking myself for years why I keep them around when I use them the least. I think it's more about the rifles they're chambered in than the cartridge itself. I'll be the first to admit the '06 makes more sense than anything else I use...

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
jwall, I'm like you, down to my last can and a half of H205. I have often thought the 24" FN would humm with a 165 over the H205.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've only owned 6 30-06's. Now I have none. I swore when I recently sold my 308 that 223 and 44 mag were the only rifles I need for where I hunt. Yesterday, I saw a lefty 30-06 Ruger American that I keep talking myself into and out of buying for some reason...

I've only shot 180 gr Interlocks out of every 30-06 I've owned. Never had one shoot over an inch, no matter what powder I've tried.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gentlemen, be very careful about giving S-I-L rifles. I also started to give one to mine but, something made me hesitate. I discovered why about 12 years later. Be sure they are not con artists.
Back on subject, I have a few '06s and mostly because the rifles of choice were so chambered but, that is not ment to disparage the old solder's effectiveness.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I forgot one - an original Oberndorf Mauser sporter. Quirky deal at my lgs. Picked it up for $350 thinking it was a very nice guild gun. I figured out what I had, never shot it and sold it to a true collector of the Oberndorfs.

Posted this pic before but this Oberndorf B was fitted with a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester barrel back in the 50's in 30/06. I put the Lyman 48 on it one day at work.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/25/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another beautiful rifle KW!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
A nice classic irons only rifle. Would like to build me something similar.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Joe, notice that I said, "We will see." Cousin and I have had bad experiences gifting S-I-Ls rifles. Two got fired and kept the guns. This one has been around twelve years and has sired three lovely granddaughters. At about the fifteen year mark, I may give him the 1903 as a reward, stay or not? He can't be a money grabber. Daughter is a teacher, however she does have a lot of equity in real estate here in the city. He owns outright something over five sections of land, and they are jointly adding more as the opportunity arises.

Best,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/25/16.

P17 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I must have this disorder, too. My .30-06s all represent different interests and reflect different phases of my shooting career. I currently have 4.

The first is my main hunting rifle, a Remington 700 Stainless Synthetic Mountain Rifle from the early '90s. With a 168-grain Barnes TTSX at 2,950+, pushed by a max charge of Vihtavuori N560, there is basically no big game hunting in British Columbia that this rifle can't do.

The next is a Danish arsenal refurbished M1 Garand built out of a Winchester action with a Danish barrel. A real beauty that I bought for a steal many years ago. And it shoots even better than it looks.

Then there is a DWM full military Mauser that a gunsmith friend re-fitted with a military stepped .30-06 barrel and re-welded the bolt handle for scope use. He passed it to me as a gift a couple of years before he died of asbestos disease, and I cherish it, believe me. The darned thing shoots under 1 m.o.a. consistently with plain 180-grain Hornady SPs at 2,640 as far as I can shoot it (which has been 600 metres to date). And no other rifle I own feeds like this baby.

My most recent .30-06 is something that I built out of spare parts for backup use: A Brazilian 98 action with a Bold trigger that I had used in a .22-250; a Boyd's laminated stock (from the same .22-250 project); a barrel that I picked up from a gun show; and an old B&L Elite 2-7 scope that used to sit on my Remington mentioned above. This Frankenstein rifle shoots 150-grain Barnes TSX bullets at 3,000+ fps with a full charge of Ramshot Big Game (inspired by Mule Deer's article). Not bad for a backup rifle!

Fortunately, I don't have any more room in my safe...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twenty-some years ago I bought a Pre-64 Fwt M70 30-06 and stopped looking. A few years back it went into a Compact Edge stock.

The only other 30-06 I have owned in that time, briefly, was an early #1A.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Well I don't own as many 30/06s as most on here own. I bought my first only eight years ago and now I have 5 and have bought and sold two others.

1) FN BACO Model 70 Featherweight DLX ( that first year with the pretty wood) I saw and bought it right there. It is accurate and has a 4X Leupold with lyman dot.

2) Husky Hipower with FN Action and Weaver 4 X that looks like an old homesteader gun. It is very accurate.

3) Cooper Model 52 with VX2 3X9. This gun has fantastic wood and is accurate.

4) 1895 Winchester 30-03- Its not entirely a 30-06 but it belonged to one of the most interesting men in the world who has now passed on.

5) 1 Sedgley Springfield 03A Sporter with a Model 48 Lyman sight and a compass in the stock. It has a classic style stock and I want to use it for a long hunt when I retire.

Bought and sold

1) Ruger All American- traded for the 1895.

1) Remington 700 ADL bought cheap and used as trading fodder.

I figure that I am pretty young so I probably will have opportunities for several others.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,428
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.