Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Gee, I was always told that I was a free man. That means a law enforcement officer has NO AUTHORITY at all over me unless he has a reasonable suspicion that I have violated a law. I'm under no compunction to follow an order from them.
The Fourth Amendment actually calls for probable cause (a much higher standard than "reasonable suspicion"), and even then only after acquiring a judge-signed warrant, but the courts rewrote it to permit being messed with based solely on their new invention of "reasonable suspicion."

Where, again, in the Constitution, are the courts given the power to rewrite the US Constitution/Bill of Rights so as to make the jobs of police officers easier? I can't find that part.

I think this is the point at which Barak would clear his throat, "ahem," and it is at this point where I have to agree that his is a cogent one:

All government is self serving; all dispensaries of power will inevitably abuse said power, dispensing it according to their needs for expediency & convenience (the common good its call... a cost of protecting of the subjects er citizens don't ya know).

Freedom as envisioned by the founders isn't a neat and tidy thing. Those who "protect and serve" would do well to remember the fates of many who gladly took up that responsibility at the founding and who honorably paid the ultimate price for the courage of their convictions.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well if that dude tried to smoke a J and get lippy in 1778, it would have been a whole lot uglier.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Like I said, details of specific incidences ignore and are a distraction to the central issue.

Clearly there have been justified instances of police using force appropriately but the underlying issue of "us vs them" that informs agents of a police state is there.

All ya gotta do is read Bigwhoops comments to see it clearly.

When the citizens are expected to be afraid of the police there is a broader cultural, not indcidual officer problem.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Greyghost
True, but death is a hell of a price to pay for LEO ego's...

Phil

Exactly and when that is the ruberic through which citizens are expected to interact w/ LEOs we've ceased being citizens and become subjects.

We're not quite there yet, but the federal govt has us headed in that direction quickly.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Federal government has nothing to do with it... it all starts with the local elections and appointments. Too many people want to have a say just every 4 years and ignore their local elections. That's the problem.

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Police officers can make a mistake. Everyone does.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
True, but death is a hell of a price to pay for LEO ego's...

Phil

Exactly and when that is the ruberic through which citizens are expected to interact w/ LEOs we've ceased being citizens and become subjects.

We're not quite there yet, but the federal govt has us headed in that direction quickly.
Yep.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

Where we are headed, is to a time were the cops won't be there keeping are communities safe. Lots of our large cities are already there. Get ready to deal with bad guys yourself. If you do, you will get the same emotional, biased treatment they have been receiving for many years now. E

This is something I consider often living in California! If a LEO gets roasted when they shoot regardless of maybe, no question reasonable, or? What happens to a Non LE who has to use deadly force to stop a threat? No Police Union, No Mayor, or anyone to have your side but a very expensive Lawyer!
What I see, if Liberals have their way, Law Abiding Citizens who do protect themselves and use a gun to do so, will be guilty regardless of the circumstance. The Police are just the first phase of this.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Federal government has nothing to do with it... it all starts with the local elections and appointments. Too many people want to have a say just every 4 years and ignore their local elections. That's the problem.

Phil

Don't disagree with what you're saying here but do you agree with Baldwin that the Federal gov's encouraging use of military-style weapons through grants and such has a lot to do with it as well?

Local govs are gonna have a hard time saying no to THAT drug...

But in that sense yeah local pressure will help.

You gonna be the guy in the townhall speaking forcefully in favor of turning down free stuff?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by hanco
Police officers can make a mistake. Everyone does.

Yep and when we do it's called manslaughter as the officer in Tulsa has been charged. In many places that isn't the rule.

I know many police officers and the ones I know are great people devoted to service which is why it's so important that those who make mistakes are held to account. Anything less cheapens the great job the majority are doing on a daily basis.

IC B3

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
...the Federal gov's encouraging use of military-style weapons through grants and such has a lot to do with it as well?...

It has much more to do with the War on Drugs and the F'd up laws that make virtually every citizen a target of LE.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Phil
BS. Ferguson and black lives matter prove otherwise.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by efw
...the Federal gov's encouraging use of military-style weapons through grants and such has a lot to do with it as well?...

It has much more to do with the War on Drugs and the F'd up laws that make virtually every citizen a target of LE.

No disagreement here.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.