K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heck of a lucky break they bumped into that camp when they did, doesn't sound like the evening would have gone too good for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lucky for them bad judgment and lack of skill was trumped by pure good luck.

Not building a fire and getting dry was a huge mistake and sounds like it was almost costly.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Always gotta have some matches in yer pocket, always.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1

Always gotta have some matches in yer pocket, always.

I've been carrying in my pocket my old faithful ZIPPO with the opening tightly sealed with a rubber band I cut from a bicycle tube, for many years. The rubber band keeps it dry.

[Linked Image]

I've tested it three different times by leaving it in a jar of water for two hours. When the band is removed the lighter fires up with the first strike and has a clean flame. Works for me in all kinds of weather.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wife and i don't leave into an outing without at least 2 methods of fire, sometimes 3... I just feel better that way...

Was out showing her spruce pitch and how easy/how well it burns this last trip....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, didn't see a hunt report, how did your moose hunt go this year?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very weird hunt. Just in last night around 730pm.

Lots of cows, not that many bulls. They have called so much now, stupidly in our area, that the moose go the other way when they call.

Not much shot that I"m aware of. 2 I think, one I heard, the other we heard about...

That said, we took off a bit to fish here and there. And enjoy.

We finally found a bull bigger than I've ever found, probably right at 64 or so... but while waiting on finding a hole to shoot through the cow that was in heat with him spooked... 12 foot tall birch... that story was over then and there... and it was 8pm the last night.

All in all though it was great as usual. We saw more bulls that my guiding buddies did, though they only had 4 days to hit it...

We often wonder how different it would be to be dropped off a plane and hunt basically non pressured moose now and then.

Spent the last days working on the house some, visiting, making more lists of what else to buy for next year for more clothes to leave up there for our future plans. And fishing.

Where Carolyn was getting better at fly fishing and catching 12-15 inch or so grayling. And where I managed to get lucky and catch a really big bastid.... I'll post a photo of him at some point...while I was on the bottom trying to catch silvers with a spoon... LOL. Was a great fish and got a few snaps and he was happy to swim off in great shape. My buddy thinks he looked close to 20 inches... I'll scale him by my hand one day for grins when I have spare time.

I hate the first day back after being gone for 2 weeks... nuts....

I think being a traffic flagger up there would net twice as much as what we make here and I"d be much less stressed out...

About time for us to haul more ammo up for you yet?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer about the bull, sounds like he was a real hammer but sounds like you had a good time. I was surprised to see the moose starting their rut so early this year, could be a sign of things to come this winter.

We saw a lot of moose this year and a good number of legal bulls. We did ok taking 1 bull but should have taken at least 3. Saw a large blonde grizz but it was too late in the day for a stalk. 1 of my buddies managed to take a 42" bull last week near his property on the Teklanika.

Heading out for caribou tomorrow morning and it's supposed to snow up that way. Good times!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ime. When chit goes south

It goes south in a hurry

Had a cheap reminder of such this year myself

Was a weird season but a good one all around

Our honey hole was pretty empty

Too wet, water in places I've never seen it before

So plan b. Heard a few bulls but only saw 1, he made the trip home with us

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We always have a great time. Regardless. I guess we are pretty easy actually.

I need to learn how to hunt caribou off the road one day... 13 had folks hauling dead ones around...so its gotta be possible.

Randy has it down, you have to adapt, and we do. Thats usually part of the successful folks.

OTOH neither of us are all that serious about it either, I mean when its time to sleep in one morning, or evening, we do, or when they just are not moving, we might go fishing for a day or such. I actually think in one way that makes us better hunters, in antoehr way not giving it 200% might be meaning we miss a chance, but its not that important. Once spike/fork becomes legal for us, I suspect meat will hit the ground any year we feel the need to repack the freezers. 50 inchers are fairly tough to come by where we hunt, but some fall the first days of season every year, before the rest of them learn really quickly that someone on a horn and beating a tree with a baseball bat doesn't have their best interests are heart..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drop the bat, get a scapula... there is no comparison in effectiveness, especially in the end game... flashing scapulas is important... hint...

Volume is not critical, tone is...

They got big ears for a reason...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh hell its not me with the bat. I might be dumb, especially to AK stuff but I"m not that stupid.

You can't even call them there anymore due to idiots...

We always used either a small antler or a scapula.... I have this one antler that fits my hand reallly well and does nice things.... and happens to hook onto the pack very easily...

The hunters in the area, that are from the coastal areas.... think the more noise you make the better. It is better. To teach the moose to not go that way.

FWIW we tend to get to a place to view often, not a knoll, but just enough height to view, and tend to do a LOT of watching and listening, amazing what you can learn if you just be quiet out in nature and watch and listen, sounds, responses etc.... Probably helps me be able to discern a cow call vs a cow... etc....

We managed to call in 2 hunters one evening, from the morning, when I was calling just a bit, but not loud and doing cow calls and a small grunt by mouth now and then, I figured it was late enough in the AM that most hunters were riding trails again. I guess i was wrong, they sure came looking that evening.... LOL.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.