-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When a box of bullets didn't break the bank. Now I get mail catalogs from the likes of Midway and Natchez which have Nosler/Barnes/Sirocco on sale for .50/bullet or more. Old friend Sierra still pushes stuff out the door at prices familiar in the last century.

20 round boxes of ammo for $39...on sale! Well, except for the likes of the .416 Rigby and that ilk, closer to $100 than $75., but only $2/piece of brass. Ho Li....

They have lost their minds? Guessin' the casting game will get a boost from this, maybe it already has. Thing that concerns me is that by the time I'm gone the components will make the fine guns look like a bargain.

Anyone for some Mauser brass? Only $10/piece, shipping included.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
When I started reloading at 16 (1966) a box of bullets were around $3.50-$4.25 and a pound of powder was about the same. I have some old 243 Winchester ammo boxes marked $3.40. I felt really "ammo rich" one time when I was able to buy two boxes at one time. smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The catch with casting your own is the escalating price of lead, and the difficulty of getting it.

Used to be that lead wheel weights were free, but now most are zinc or steel, and most tire shops won't sell to anyone but their 'authorized' re-cycler.

Add to that, there are NO U.S. lead mines operating any more, so any lead has to be imported or re-cycled from batteries, or something else.

So far, U.S. manufacturers say shortages aren't a problem, but I expect that to change before long.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by speedsixman
The catch with casting your own is the escalating price of lead, and the difficulty of getting it.

Used to be that lead wheel weights were free, but now most are zinc or steel, and most tire shops won't sell to anyone but their 'authorized' re-cycler.

Add to that, there are NO U.S. lead mines operating any more, so any lead has to be imported or re-cycled from batteries, or something else.

So far, U.S. manufacturers say shortages aren't a problem, but I expect that to change before long.

Myron

Can you spell BULLET TRAP ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
When I started reloading at 16 (1966) a box of bullets were around $3.50-$4.25 and a pound of powder was about the same. I have some old 243 Winchester ammo boxes marked $3.40. I felt really "ammo rich" one time when I was able to buy two boxes at one time. smile

Recall those days, but more recently, say in the last 15-20 years of the last century, powder ran around 12-15 bucks and bullets were 8-12 or so. What puzzles me today is how Sierra keeps their prices under control while everyone else drank the grape Kool-Aid. I'm guessing that Sierra is running full tilt in the production lines.

Lead is still available in my neighborhood. I went a little haywire about 3-4 years back and likely won't need any more. Neither will the kids...maybe the grand kids too???

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Sierra isnt re-inventing the wheel every six months.

Count me in as well for not needing Pb ever again. As far as wheeweights go, in some instances I AM the recycler...

Last edited by HawkI; 09/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The government is doing what ever it can to drive out reloading.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I remember the day I decided to start reloading. I had just purchased 5 boxes of Remington 30-06 factory ammo and it cost me $40! I could reload a box of -06 for just over $2.

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/27/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
The government is doing what ever it can to drive out reloading/ independence and self reliance.
[b][/b]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Add to that, there are NO U.S. lead mines operating any more...

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought it was the only remaining recycling smelter in the US (Missouri, IIRC) that was closed.

I have not heard of the mines being shut down. There is too much need for lead in our society.

Can you enlighten me on when the mines were shut down?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It isn't only Midway and others, look at the price of brass here on the Campfire if you want another shock.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Recall those days, but more recently, say in the last 15-20 years of the last century, powder ran around 12-15 bucks and bullets were 8-12 or so. What puzzles me today is how Sierra keeps their prices under control while everyone else drank the grape Kool-Aid. I'm guessing that Sierra is running full tilt in the production lines.

Lead is still available in my neighborhood. I went a little haywire about 3-4 years back and likely won't need any more. Neither will the kids...maybe the grand kids too???

You know the history of this behemoth, think the boys and I are covered for awhile but Hindenburgs do have away of depleting even mass quantities!

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bunker Hill? Zounds man, I missed that tale!

Yeah, the 'Bergs are rough on lead stashed. I do some of that and likely a bit more when the artillery arrives. For the moment it is mostly .25 & .30 cal and the odd .38-55 round. 800-1000# of lead goes a fair piece.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, Federal has a current promotion through the end of this month, $20 rebate on two boxes of all Vital Shok rifle ammunition (Trophy Bonded Tip, Sierra GameKing, etc.) via e-mail notice from Federal Premium. Every bit helps.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
APDDSN0864,

"Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought it was the only remaining recycling smelter in the US (Missouri, IIRC) that was closed."

I should have said "smelter" instead of "mines".
However, Doe Run was not primarily a re-cycling smelter. Much of their production was from raw ore from the mines, and most of their production was sold to battery manufacturers.

Quotes from The New American:

"The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers"

" Several “secondary” smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States."

Since the shut down of Doe Run, any ore mined in the U.S. is shipped out-of-country to be smelted.

Any information of how many mines are still operating, or the effect of the smelter closing is a bit scarce, but it is sure to have some effect on the mines as well.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 09/27/16.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Myron

I am getting scrap lead for about a buck a pound. That is thirty 230grain lead bullets per pound. I did not factor in the costs of equipment or propane or electricity.

But if you are a pistol shooter you should stalk Digital Dan's posts as well as others in the casting section of the 'fire. There is a lot of interesting stuff about casting your own bullets and it is fun as well.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bunker Hill? Zounds man, I missed that tale!

I've been scrounging lead on my rural jobs for years.Angus breeder I worked for had an old Farmall H with home brew bubba bracket welded on the front frame above the trike nose gear.This Bunker Hill counter weight came off when he dropped a rear wheel in a drainage ditch which isn't a pretty sight around any cattle operation! Said if I wanted it,"be my guest." Waited till it dried out as good as it was gonna get,attached a log chain and pulled that big stinker out.Tips the scale just shy of 630,000 grains... grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ooof!

Thanks. A toast to the Bunker Hill.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When a box of bullets didn't break the bank. Now I get mail catalogs from the likes of Midway and Natchez which have Nosler/Barnes/Sirocco on sale for .50/bullet or more. Old friend Sierra still pushes stuff out the door at prices familiar in the last century.

20 round boxes of ammo for $39...on sale! Well, except for the likes of the .416 Rigby and that ilk, closer to $100 than $75., but only $2/piece of brass. Ho Li....

They have lost their minds? Guessin' the casting game will get a boost from this, maybe it already has. Thing that concerns me is that by the time I'm gone the components will make the fine guns look like a bargain.

Have you priced shotgun slugs lately? Now that deer can't apparently die at the hands of rifled slugs, the prices of saboted slugs bear comment. I shoot Hornandy SST's through my rifled slug gun. These were the cheapest slugs I could find, and they're $12.00 FOR A BOX OF 5! Premium saboted slugs run over $20.00 for a box of 5. There's elephant loads that don't cost $5.00 a round.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Have you priced shotgun slugs lately? Now that deer can't apparently die at the hands of rifled slugs, the prices of saboted slugs bear comment. I shoot Hornandy SST's through my rifled slug gun. These were the cheapest slugs I could find, and they're $12.00 FOR A BOX OF 5! Premium saboted slugs run over $20.00 for a box of 5. There's elephant loads that don't cost $5.00 a round.
I see my local shops now carry a Federal Blue Box saboted slug for around $7.00 per box. I might give these a try in stead of selling one of my kids to buy ammo to hunt with.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.