Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Read through some threads on hunting pants. Wool too heavy, too long to dry, Sitka over priced.
Kuiu/attack, Marmot/scree, Kryptek, etc. They all look comfortable, have articulated knees, and stretch fabric which is all positive. But which are good, if any, for going through brush and don't sound like velcro when going through brush and briars?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
First Lite Kanab Merino Pant are perfect for what you want.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

What Buckster said. +1

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
While they don't stretch, Cabelas Microtex pants are very quiet and tough. For me personally, the cut of the older pants fit me better and are more comfortable for hiking. The new pants (at least last year's), had a tighter cut and I could imagine them being less comfortable for hiking in hills. But the Microtex fabric is great stuff for quiet walking. If you check online frequently, you can get decent discounts at the end of the season or when they phase out one of the camo patterns. They currently have some sizes and patterns for less than $20.

Last edited by Gregdoo; 09/26/16.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A cheap and effective answer is to put a pair of camouflage sweats over your regular pants. Get them at Walmart in the design you like. Warm, cheap and very quiet. Throw them in the regular wash when you are done.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For cold and/or snowy weather, really loving my Mountain Hardwear Winter Wanderer pants. they fit, stretch just right and are quiet. After wearing them once, bought a second pair. They have relgated my early version of Sitka Gear pants to distant backup.

Alas, MW stoped making them. The replacements are the Yumalinos, when I checked them out on the at the store they look and feel just like the Winter Wander.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
KUIU attack pants are awesome!!
Quiet, reliable, well made.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by atse
A cheap and effective answer is to put a pair of camouflage sweats over your regular pants. Get them at Walmart in the design you like. Warm, cheap and very quiet. Throw them in the regular wash when you are done.

This guy is from CO and hunting the high country for elk... He's asking about A++ pants. You've gotta be answering this question from a whitetail hunting background

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Filson Wool Whipcord (owned several sets), Firstlite Kanab (would work based on similarity to the Filson's). For something that dries faster, stretches a bit more, is only slightly more noisy, and is far less expensive try the Mountain Hardware "Piero" pant from Sierra Trading Post. 4 way stretch, DWR, articulated knees, big (and quiet) front/rear pockets, and an honest to goodness button closure @ the waist (I hate snaps).

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cabelas microtex. I've used them for years and will be wearing em Saturday in NM. Good product.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by atse

This guy is from CO and hunting the high country for elk... He's asking about A++ pants. You've gotta be answering this question from a whitetail hunting background
ILive in Montana and hunt for a living.Killed a whitetail once though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the microtex for years now. I carry a set of marmot precip pants with me if it rains.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Sitka Mounatain pants - love them. Will buy another pair when these wear out. 4 years in and they still look great.....that makes them about $25/year.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most days I wear Camo rip stop BDU pants. Warmth is regulated by which long underwear I use under them. From nothing on hot days to double layer Marino wool heavy weights on very cold days. Sew on suspender buttons to support all the crap you can stuff in the pockets.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you want a warm, quiet, tight wool weave fabric look for some Korean war vintage M1951 trousers. Twenty years ago I purchased two pair of the M1951 trousers and they lasted until my waist "outgrew them." IMO, for the cost, and longevity these trousers were ideal for elk hunting here in the Rockies.

Just saying...

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have the Kuiu Teton Pants and I like them a lot... better then the attack, they are a little lighter but very quiet. I noticed last week hunting and walking with my buddy that has the new Under Armour stuff he was swishing as he walked. The tetons made no noise and they are the cheapest!

“One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it" -Jose Ortega y Gasset

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Nhunt46051
I noticed last week hunting and walking with my buddy that has the new Under Armour stuff he was swishing as he walked.

You got to hunt with ingwe, that's awesome!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just received a pair of MH Yumalino trousers which I ordered on alpinecrick's recommendation. These are great! Perfect! I can't believe they are only $85 (and free shipping from Backcountry.com).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buckster
First Lite Kanab Merino Pant are perfect for what you want.

I just wore these for my Idaho elk hunt and was amazed. Temps the first day ranged from 36 to 73 and these were compfortable the whole time. They do have a weird button by the knee designed to hook over the ankle elastic strap and I suppose if I were looking to ford a stream they might be handy but otherwise strange.

I went directly from the airport and will be home to unpack so we'll see about care as I ended up pretty much saturated in elk blood.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks all. I will check into the suggestions. I do like to still hunt and encounter a lot of briars. God does it make a loud unnatural noise.

Last edited by LostHighway; 10/08/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.