Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Why would they not be? Elk are native to Texas and these elk are free to roam all the way to Wa. state.

Of course they have more sense than to do it.

They are not as tame as the elk I've seen in Eastern Montana while deer hunting and those are eligible.

I don't know if their listing as a non game animal in Texas would preclude their entry into B&C.

I have no doubt that Texas elk are bigger, wilder, smarter, more spooky and all around greater in every way when compared to elk from anywhere else in this nation. They're probably damn near impossible to kill unless you're a Texan with a .300 Ultra Mag.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Why would they not be? Elk are native to Texas and these elk are free to roam all the way to Wa. state.

They are not as tame as the elk I've seen in Eastern Montana while deer hunting and those are eligible.

I don't know if their listing as a non game animal in Texas would preclude their entry into B&C.

I have no doubt that Texas elk are bigger, wilder, smarter, more spooky and all around greater in every way when compared to elk from anywhere else in this nation. They're probably damn near impossible to kill unless you're a Texan with a .300 Ultra Mag.

In order to be eligible for Boone and Crockett, the state the animal is killed in must have issued a tag for the animal.

In the case of elk in Texas, they don't. So, it wouldn't be eligible.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mulie_mike
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
ahhhhh.. The wonder of a canned high fence hunt. Only in Texas!

Sir if you read the entire post you would have seen that these are free range not high fenced animals. Texas had the highest population of elk at one time. Do a little research and you'll see there are free range herds before you go bashing my posts. Thank you

Color me ignorant, I never knew Texas had elk. Do you know why the state decided to list them as exotics rather than as a standard game animal?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Because they aren't considered native game for purposes of management.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Just a quick google,the prices are $4000 up to $9000 for a guided(1 guide-2 hunters) elk/deer hunt in Idaho. That was just two outfitters I looked at.

Yeah wild elk.

Right.

I bet.

Hmph.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

In order to be eligible for Boone and Crockett, the state the animal is killed in must have issued a tag for the animal.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the info Rockin.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

A tag? Some states don't even have a tag system for deer. MS and AL come to mind.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You buy a license to hunt the animal?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What's the problem? why are some people pissed off because Texas, has free range elk? How many of you elk experts have ever been in West Texas? Rio7

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, which is the agency that regulates hunting.

Distribution
Historical evidence indicates that elk may have been present over much of Texas. By the late 1800’s, records indicate that elk were only present in the Guadalupe Mountains of far west Texas. Currently, free ranging elk exist over a large portion of west Texas and on high fence ranches throughout the state.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/elk/

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeffbird
From the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, which is the agency that regulates hunting.

Distribution
Historical evidence indicates that elk may have been present over much of Texas. By the late 1800’s, records indicate that elk were only present in the Guadalupe Mountains of far west Texas. Currently, free ranging elk exist over a large portion of west Texas and on high fence ranches throughout the state.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/elk/

Oh that simply isn't possible.

700LH told us it wasn't. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice bulls for sure! Congrats.

And...

Don't ever [bleep] with Texas, Texans, or anything Texas related for that matter. LOL. And trust me I know. I've lived there, and, my girlfriend is a native.

Sounds like a cool part of the state to visit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
pay per hunt $7500 elk, yep, free range.

Lemme guess, if it were FREE you'd come running and brag afterwards about that fine Texas hospitality and FREE RANGE ELK? Why should a land owner give FREE hunts for any wildlife on his land??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The more elk in Texas the better, high fence or not IMO. I love elk. Elk transplant success stories are some of the best ones in American game management. How many more folks can listen to elk bugles now that were not there when they were kids?

Guess I'm kinda partial. Nice bulls, btw.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google fu "high fence idaho elk hunts". Safe to say both states have both free range and high fence stuff when it's all said and done.

Seeing free range elk in TX is just plain cool...one has to think these things are adaptable and survivors.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The more elk in Texas the better, high fence or not IMO. I love elk. Elk transplant success stories are some of the best ones in American game management. How many more folks can listen to elk bugles now that were not there when they were kids?

Guess I'm kinda partial. Nice bulls, btw.

Well said!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by 700LH
pay per hunt $7500 elk, yep, free range.

Lemme guess, if it were FREE you'd come running and brag afterwards about that fine Texas hospitality and FREE RANGE ELK? Why should a land owner give FREE hunts for any wildlife on his land??

I reckon because it ain't Texas mindset.
Over the years I have taken game from birds to elk on maybe hundreds of private lands, and NEVER, NOT ONCE was an exchange of money EVER so much as mentioned.
It is either posted no hunting, permission not given, or it's FREE,
You people have a very screwed up perception of hunting game, that the public owns.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Texas is so close to what Africa has become, high dollars and clue less, Pictures and braggarts, hunting is so much more.

We really need to think a lot more about our sport, and a whole lot more about our lands and our kids.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Texas, killing some game animals on private land without permission is a felony with hunting and fishing rights revoked automatically.

Dave

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tell us dumb ass Texas people how wonderful, South Peyton Place is. Rio7

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.