Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My local gun shop has an X-Bolt for an attractive price. The rifle fits me well and initial impression is that fit/finish is good.

Any reason why I shouldn't buy an X-Bolt? I've heard the trigger mechanism is overly complicated and some question its reliability? Also, heard others say the quality of the action/barrel is not as good as other rifles in a similar price bracket (Tikka T3)?

Rifle will be used hard - cold conditions, backcountry/backpack hunts common, etc.

Any thoughts/input welcome.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Browning has closed the Winchester factory in New Haven, Ct and has the rifle being made by the Japs who started World War Two!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Laffin...+1. I know that are fine guns but stay away from the Japanese stuff for this very reason. The pro Japanese crowd will be along soon to bitch.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We surrendered the trade deficit to Japan about the time the last Ashigaru crawled out of his cave in the 70s. Another 500 bucks ain't gonna change much.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Seem like nice rifles.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you like it buy it. No validation needed.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Browning has closed the Winchester factory in New Haven, Ct and has the rifle being made by the Japs who started World War Two!

Japan didn't start WWII, Germany did that. Japan just got us into WWII. Our government was the one that made it attractive to move production overseas not Japan. Besides how many Browning rifles were ever made in America? How many German designed or German made Mauser rifles do you own?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I borrowed a friends X-Bolt to take a doe last season. Seemed like a well made rifle to me. I only own one Browning bolt rifle, an A-Bolt II, but it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

I say if you like the fit and feel of the rifle, go for it.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All I have read is that they tend to be very accurate and function well. As above, if it fits well, do it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not if it winds your crank.

I don't care for the styling, but my taste dates back to the Johnson administration.

If you buy one in .270, you will however, be required to divest yourself of any Subarus you own or begin working at a Cheesecake Factory.

And you'll make your mother cry.....

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a dozen or so Browning A-Bolt snd X-Bolt rifle's over the years in various calibers and every one would shoot MOA right out of the box, fit and finish was excellent and they all functioned fine.....I like the rifles for the most part but the bolt handle turns me off plus the triggers seem made a little too complicated for My taste........Good luck in your purchase.....Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Own a couple of Browning shotguns that are extremely reliable. I've wanted to try a bolt action based on their look feel and safety location as well as friends experiences - all positive, But it never made it to the top of the need to spend money on this list or too good a deal to pass up list.

Tikka is probably next on my rifle wish list but if I found a good deal i'd buy a Browning in a heartbeat.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I owned a SS stalker in 7mm-08 beautifully made with very nice fit and finish. i sold it for something else and now am looking at one of their long range versions.

No issues buying another one

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd say buy it if you like it. Was not a huge fan of the A-Bolts in the past, but found an X-Bolt Micro LH in 7-08 this year and it just felt right. Still working load development (just haven't had a lot of time). Put a Swarovski PH 1.5-6 on it and it will be my woods gun. I just wish they had more chambering options for lefties as they did many years ago...

Last edited by ghostrider272; 09/30/16.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by EdM
... As above, if it fits well, do it. ...

+1 ...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just purchased the Stainless Stalker version approximately 1 month ago. Currently own 70's and 700's and have had 77's in the past. Wanted to try something a bit different and took a chance. Here's what I have noticed with mine;

Fit and finish are very good. I can usually find small manufacturing spots on any of my firearms but the attention to detail on my XBolt is very good. it even slightly edges out my Super Grade in this category.

The rifle is a long action and you have plenty of room to play with in the box magazine as far as COL is concerned. A short throat will make chasing the lands easy.

Ergonomics fit. It is one of the only rifles that I own that when shouldered I don't cant. The silly thing just feels good, can't explain it.

Functioning has been excellent. Loaded 4 dummy rounds in the box,dry fired and cycled as fast as I could with the intention of seeing if it would bobble. Repeated this for 80 cycles and it never even hiccuped.....not even once. Once again this is superior to both my long and short action 700's and my Super Grade. Dead heat with the Featherweight.

Shoots pretty well. Slim barrel heats up fast but if I pace myself it will keep 5 (not 3) 150 Sierra Gamekings within 1 MOA at 100 if i haven't had too much coffee. The only rifle I have that will consistently beat it is a 700 VSSF.

Trigger is very good out of the box. Haven't even had it apart yet and I usually take everything apart just to see how it works. Don't know about the long term reliability yet.

All in all very pleasantly surprised by what many consider the Rodney Dangerfield of rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
I'd say buy it if you like it. Was not a huge fan of the A-Bolts in e past, but found a Micro LH in 7-08 this year and it just felt right. Still working load development (just haven't had a lot of time).

I bought this exact rifle for my daughter. I have and have had some very accurate rifles. For some reason, this is the most accurate rifle I own AND it likes pretty much all ammo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy one no matter what dumb shidt Savage_99 says.

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If you can get pass the ray-gun look, I think they are decent enough rifle. My 280 X bolt functions extremely well and shoots on par with any of the Tikkas that I have owned. CP.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
After shouldering one, I immediately sold my Remington 700 7mm and bought a x-bolt in 30-06. It shoots serrrias into itty bitty groups. I have no regrets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,627
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.