Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Purple. Because aliens don't wear hats.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The covered 3-5th grade regularly last year as a sub and I didn't find common core math too crazy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof?

300 militant lesbians SQUARED!! Yoko Ono and Hillary Clinton "did the math" one weekend back in 1974.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I dont like the new math. My oldest is in the second grade. Common core is a bit wonky.

I do like her teacher this year though. Not much homework.

No way a kid under the age of 10 should have homework.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 10/03/16.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

Yup...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Why is it so impossible to get people to understand that?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I said the emperor has no clothes one too many times and was invited to leave the teaching profession.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No way should a kid under the age of 10 should have homework.

And Idiocracy, here we come...

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Calvin
The covered 3-5th grade regularly last year as a sub and I didn't find common core math too crazy

What I see of it, is that it is teaching to the very lowest sector of students.

For anyone of average intelligence, much of this is a waste of time. And if you're gifted, it's a colossal waste of time.

But it's not as bad as China, though in a different way. Typically a year 3 public school student would have something on the order of 70-100 math problems a night. But they would not really be on the new material presented that day in class. It's nearly all review. But the Chinese' minds are honed at a very young age to do arithmetic in their heads, quickly. And it stays with them through their lives.

P.S. - No "new" math nonsense here. No funny terminology (what the heck is "renaming addition"?) Just basic arithmetic and word problems.

Last edited by KuiLei; 10/02/16. Reason: Added postscript
B
B
Originally Posted by KuiLei
[quote=Calvin]

But the Chinese' minds are honed at a very young age to do arithmetic in their heads, quickly. And it stays with them through their lives.

P.S. - No "new" math nonsense here. No funny terminology (what the heck is "renaming addition"?) Just basic arithmetic and word problems.

The bolded quote means they have "number sense." Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The stupidest thing was when "borrowing" became "trading". If anything, it should be called "stealing"; "borrowing" at least implies that there might be reimbursement at some point in the future (although there never is), while "trading" suggests some sort of equal exchange between the two places, which would imply an instantaneous exchange.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of my biggest disgusts is trying to watch a teenager make change. They have no clue how to solve math problems in their heads anymore.

CK
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Common core logic is like going to Miami FL from WV by way of going due north going across both poles and coming up from the south. Apes azz logic.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
CC seems particularly cruel to impose on kids who don't read well in the early grades. Primary school math is now a reading comprehension exercise. Lots of wasted time. Lots of time spent on silly BS.

Bakerloo's so-called "number sense" I believe refers to the training to parse out numbers by place value, combine the place value terms, and recombine numbers. That's all well and good...that's what we all do everyday in our heads for large numbers. Problem is...there is not sufficient time spent on memorization of sums and figures less than 20 to make it work. I've made the comment to my kids' teachers that "speed isn't everything; it's the only thing" regarding memorization of various low-value sums and differences, and memorization of times tables to 12. Emphasis on these is approaching but not equal to zero.

So for now they have it backwards. 1-2 grade has way too much reading interpretation with no automatic sums and differences to build on.

I think that CC will put the smart kids 2-years behind, to where none will be able to enter college calculus for engineers and science majors their first year, which in turn allows 4-year completion of an engineering degree. I'll be watching like a hawk how they present algebra in the later middle school grades.

Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by Calvin

What I see of it, is that it is teaching to the very lowest sector of students.

For anyone of average intelligence, much of this is a waste of time. And if you're gifted, it's a colossal waste of time.

But it's not as bad as China, though in a different way. Typically a year 3 public school student would have something on the order of 70-100 math problems a night. But they would not really be on the new material presented that day in class. It's nearly all review. But the Chinese' minds are honed at a very young age to do arithmetic in their heads, quickly. And it stays with them through their lives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my youngest was in primary school they introduced the new math

No textbook for the kids

I couldn't figure out wtf?

So when helping him with homework I just taught him what I'd been taught

At pt conferences his teacher told us he has no problem goin to the board to solve a problem in front of class but she worried it was confusing to the other students as he'd do it the way he'd been taught at home

I still don't have a clue about all that ladder bullchit

But I know aught and one are one

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Libs always striving for mediocrity for all.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Vek: two thoughts to tie in with what you said:
1) You brought up the horribly unacceptable word (and concept)"memorization", which is currently anathema to those who set policy without being involved. smile
I am still of the old-school belief that memorization is a good skill to develop, not only for the information that it makes instantly available to the brain, but for the exercise that it provides for the brain.
2)Way too much time is spent on "reading instruction" at the expense of other subjects. While reading, particularly reading comprehension, is extremely important, there is only so much that can be done to help students to develop that skill to the highest level that they are capable of achieving; after that it is just wasted time and effort.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,065
Posts18,501,398
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.