Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrandView
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A lot of the common core math stuff is what I've been doing for 40 years.

Doing things in 10's is the way to roll. Most people I know can't add 5 numbers without writing it all out and carrying numbers.

Do sheit in 10's and you can rock it in your head in seconds.

This^

Had a Grandfather who delivered feed to farmers out of the back of a big truck until he was 70. Watched him routinely add columns of 4 & 5-digit numbers in his head.......quickly and accurately. He used to entertain us grandkids by adding columns of multi-digit numbers upside down.

His explanation (and training) were "common core". It's not a particularly new premise.

Ding ding ding. My dad drilled flash cards and math by memory until I wanted to puke. Now I can spit out percentages and fractions in my head. It freaks my wife out!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If a test is important, you should be at least a bit anxious.

I don't think so, but I've never been an anxious person about much of anything.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Vek - "amen" to all of that. Each person needs to figure out for himself (and herself - pc moment) how to go about learning whatever material it is that he (she) needs to learn.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If a test is important, you should be at least a bit anxious.

I don't think so, but I've never been an anxious person about much of anything.

That must be nice! I worry about everything.

Interesting though, I did not buy any books in college, took few notes and all that.

Paid attention in class and did quite well, even though I stressed about tests.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I said the emperor has no clothes one too many times and was invited to leave the teaching profession.

Maybe you shouldn't have worn your emperor costume to school...

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Doing things in 10's is the way to roll. Most people I know can't add 5 numbers without writing it all out and carrying numbers.

This^

Had a Grandfather who delivered feed to farmers out of the back of a big truck until he was 70. Watched him routinely add columns of 4 & 5-digit numbers in his head.......quickly and accurately. He used to entertain us grandkids by adding columns of multi-digit numbers upside down.

His explanation (and training) were "common core". It's not a particularly new premise.

It's how dad taught me and he was born in 1919.
37 x 17 for example becomes 37 x 10= 370 + 370 = 740- 120 (40x3, which is quicker than 3 x 37 because it's in 10's) which = 620 then add back 9 (because 40 is 3 greater than 37 and you multiplied 40 three times and 3x3 is 9), which is the final answer of 629.

Of course I can do that in my head in about 2 seconds.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds very familiar to me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And percentages are a REAL [bleep] or many.

Another favorite:

The number 5 is what percent greater than the number 4?' The answer of course is 25%

Then you ask 'Since the number 5 is 25% greater than the number 4, then the number 4 is what percent less than the number 5?'

99% of the people will say 25%, which of course is incorrect.

B
B
Originally Posted by Vek

Bakerloo's so-called "number sense" I believe refers to the training to parse out numbers by place value, combine the place value terms, and recombine numbers. That's all well and good...that's what we all do everyday in our heads for large numbers. Problem is...there is not sufficient time spent on memorization of sums and figures less than 20 to make it work. I've made the comment to my kids' teachers that "speed isn't everything; it's the only thing" regarding memorization of various low-value sums and differences, and memorization of times tables to 12. Emphasis on these is approaching but not equal to zero.

So for now they have it backwards. 1-2 grade has way too much reading interpretation with no automatic sums and differences to build on.

I think that CC will put the smart kids 2-years behind, to where none will be able to enter college calculus for engineers and science majors their first year, which in turn allows 4-year completion of an engineering degree. I'll be watching like a hawk how they present algebra in the later middle school grades.

The memorization is now called "fluency." In 1st grade it includes adding within 20 and subtracting within 10.
I agree with everything you wrote...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great cure for test anxiety is to know what you're doing.

Exactly.

I remember a few people in college asking me how I did so well on tests. I told them that I read the assignments, made sure I understood what I read and PAID attention in class.

Forget the note taking and spend the time comprehending what the teacher is teaching. I see SO many jotting away notes in a fury, but not listening/comprehending what is being said.

I almost NEVER took notes, sometimes a few bullet words etc, but that was it. I found it far better to UNDERSTAND what was being taught and you can't do that if you're too busy writing.

If you UNDERSTAND was is being taught, you don't need to worry about tests and studying.

LOL - sounds rather familiar....my notes were so meaningless and sparse... but they brought back the lectures perfectly - for me- in my mind.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

Why is it so impossible to get people to understand that?

Because they're too busy listening to their kids tell them that they got kicked out of class for sharpening their pencil when the reality is their kid disrupted class repeatedly by getting up and sharpening a pencil and then breaking it over an over again by tossing it at the ceiling.

Common Core is only one of many ways that some kids can understand math readily. A good teacher will recognize those that get it and those that don't, and will adapt. I am not crazy about the stuff my 4th grader brings home, and often show him other ways. Flash cards- rote memory- still have value (and seem to be an omission in CC perhaps.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Somewhat simplified versions of your written explanation is what is being requested on my primary-schoolers' homework. Maybe I don't expect enough of them, but before they offer written explanations of such processes, I think that they should be trained on the individual steps until it is rote second nature. Only then can they think beyond the steps to the process. Right now, CC has that part backwards.

Furthermore, there is zero guidance on any of this provided by the school for parents. I can see what they are hinting at and can therefore help, but I'm not sure that's the case for others. This is deliberate alienation of parents and students.

This^

It's how dad taught me and he was born in 1919.
37 x 17 for example becomes 37 x 10= 370 + 370 = 740- 120 (40x3, which is quicker than 3 x 37 because it's in 10's) which = 620 then add back 9 (because 40 is 3 greater than 37 and you multiplied 40 three times and 3x3 is 9), which is the final answer of 629.

Of course I can do that in my head in about 2 seconds.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by bakerloo

... Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

Spectrum Math, grade 3, published 2015, corresponding to CA state standards. Need me to post a picture from the book where it demonstrates renaming? Or can you take my word for it that I didn't just "read about it on the internet"?

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

Why is it so impossible to get people to understand that?

Because they're too busy listening to their kids tell them that they got kicked out of class for sharpening their pencil when the reality is their kid disrupted class repeatedly by getting up and sharpening a pencil and then breaking it over an over again by tossing it at the ceiling.

Exactly! Everyone is all for discipline and proper behavior until it is their little darling who is misbehaving; then it is major umbrage being taken and the child being pulled out of that school.

Common Core is only one of many ways that some kids can understand math readily. A good teacher will recognize those that get it and those that don't, and will adapt. I am not crazy about the stuff my 4th grader brings home, and often show him other ways. Flash cards- rote memory- still have value (and seem to be an omission in CC perhaps.)

As I mentioned previously, rote memorization is currently somewhere between firearms and conservative thought on the tschidt list of education, mainly because it asks the students to be responsible for their own learning instead of someone else doing it for them.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

As I mentioned previously, rote memorization is currently somewhere between firearms and conservative thought on the tschidt list of education, mainly because it asks the students to be responsible for their own learning instead of someone else doing it for them.

Actually, as part of his third grade math curriculum in '14-'15, my oldest needed to demonstrate speed and accuracy in the 1-12 multiplication tables. IIRC, it was writing down all 13 answers correctly in under a minute. And the problems were not in order, so you had to read them. This, in a CA public school...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Basic math tables can easily be taught by parents.

After all, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure THEIR children are educated.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In the end, nothing will change. Smart kids will succeed, dumb ones will not. Kid's with good parents and discipline will not have to worry about flipping burgers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mom had me reading pretty well before I went to Kindergarten. It was a nice advantage for me.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My FIL had my daughter identifying uppercase letters and lowercase letters by making her retrieve toy magnet letters from the fridge door in exchange for letting her fish a jelly bean out of his shirt pocket...she was barely 2 at the time.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by KuiLei

No way a kid under the age of 10 should have homework.

And Idiocracy, here we come...

What do you mean?

I think I know, but as I am quite daft, would like you to explain it to me.

What I mean, is that people NEED repetition and practice in order to retain what they've learned. One of the best ways to do that in a formal school setting is through homework. To not do so at ages 6-9 leads to 17 year old clerks that can't make change without punching it into the register. Or they go all "deer-in-headlights" when you give them a $20, and 10 seconds later after it's been entered, you give them another 17 cents on your $16.67 bill...

Which is somewhat the premise of the movie Idiocracy, that the world in 500 years will be solely populated by what are now considered idiots. Those people with a high IQ having been displaced from the gene pool by the fecundity of the stupid.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,087
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.